Options

Why not A.A.S?

Symph7486Symph7486 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello to all,

I'm new to this site..., I came across one thread where many users suggested not to get an AAS degree and that its basically meaningless. I am currently enrolled into an AAS degree program that offers a direct transition to a Bachelor of Technology degree program. My plans were to continue through to this BTech degree and eventually pursue a Masters Degree. From the comments and the material I can find online it seems that the issue with AAS is transferring credits. Is this the only issue? Do you employers not consider this type of degree... or...? FYI: I'm half way through the AAS course with a little over 30 credits. Here is the program New York City College of Technology - Computer Systems Technology - Degrees

Any and all advice/comments are welcome.

Thank You!

Comments

• Options
    martawmartaw Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have to take into consideration that many people on here are currently or have gotten a four degree from WGU. Two year degree doesn't look so good when you have or are getting a four year degree.

That being said... it is true that you want to make sure you have a path for a four year school to accept your AAS credits if you plan on even remotely thinking about ever going to a four year school. There is one school (state public university at that) I know of in my area that has programs especially geared towards translating AAS's into a bachelor's degree. They make it easyt to transfer your AAS credits in. If you found a program that can do that, then I say great.

As far as employers and two year degrees, that will vary. In IT nany employers want to mostly see experience (even better experience AND certs). When I first worked in a NOC, one of the requests was for the candidate to have at least a two year degree. I have seen other job postings with a two year degree as well. If the job says four year degree "desired" and you have a two year, I'd say still definitely apply especially if you have experience and certs to boot.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most companies hiring in the IT/Programming/Web fields are looking for exp. If they do require a 4 year degree, if you have a two year with some good exp I would apply anyhow. My company was looking for someone with a 4 year degree and Certs, we hired a guy with his AAS, 3 years exp and Certs. So in short just apply, if you feel you could do the job.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If a given AAS degree transfers into a reputable four-year degree, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, those are great because it's an incremental credential you can earn without sacrificing either more time or money spend getting two different degrees. Generally speaking, you will be locked into relatively few choices to get an AAS to transfer, but that can apply just as widely to AA and AS degrees.

Something to consider about both two-year and four-year degrees, though, is the type of degree. Put briefly:
    of Science > of Arts >= of Applied Science >= other.

An AAS or BAS is not the same as a BS or AS, and it won't be treated the same. That doesn't mean it's worthless or even necessarily the wrong or a "bad" choice. The advantage of an "applied" degree is that generally you learn industry skills that are immediately useful in your career. An AAS or BAS in an IT field generally teaches specific tech skills similar to what are measured on IT certifications. Again, this is both an advantage and a disadvantage. The bachelor's you are going for is not going to have the same impact as a BS in Computer Science, for example. On the other hand, you will learn infrastructure-specific skills and it will still meet just about any job requirements for a bachelor's degree you're likely to encounter.

As far as two year degrees, they are certainly an improvement over no degree. In and of themselves, however, I have argued that they are not worth it. They don't add that much resume value, skill value, and there are realistically few, if any jobs that actually require a two-year degree. In general, if a bachelor's is not required, no degree is required. These are generalities, and these degrees do add value, but my overall view has been that if one is going to get a degree, the long-term plan is bachelor's or bust.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    When I look at jobs, all I see are Bachelors. I forget the AAS even exists because it's so rarely mentioned.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Symph7486Symph7486 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the help!! Great info and advice! :)
  • Options
    MichaelTaylorMichaelTaylor Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently starting a AAS with a concentration in programming at my local community college. Are you folks telling me it is a waste of time and money? After completing the degree I can not continue my education to a BS? Should I fear not being able to find a job and just go with an AS and transfer to a 4 year college? This is very important to me as I am a 30 year old and time is valuable. Im looking to start a new carrer and was very excited about my new venture until a read this thread.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    When I look at jobs, all I see are Bachelors. I forget the AAS even exists because it's so rarely mentioned.

Same here. It's either degree, certs, or experience, maybe even a combo of all 3.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly, Isuggest just going straight for your Bachelors. I mean there is a chance youmay not learn as much as you wanted but that's really not what college isabout. It's about developing analytical and problem solving skills. It teachesyou how to ask the right questions and it helps make you a well-rounded person.It's an investment. I racked up student loans when I went for my bachelors andI'm racking up more for my masters, but I'm betting that I will be in aposition 10 years from now to pay them off. I never bet against myself sothat's why I did it.

The ROI for college degrees has been extensively documented but ultimately thedecision is yours. For me it was worth it. I didn't go to college becausethat's what was expected of me after high school. I went because I wanted tolearn from the best that could teach.

• Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    martaw wrote: »
    You have to take into consideration that many people on here are currently or have gotten a four degree from WGU. Two year degree doesn't look so good when you have or are getting a four year degree.

That being said... it is true that you want to make sure you have a path for a four year school to accept your AAS credits if you plan on even remotely thinking about ever going to a four year school. There is one school (state public university at that) I know of in my area that has programs especially geared towards translating AAS's into a bachelor's degree. They make it easyt to transfer your AAS credits in. If you found a program that can do that, then I say great.

As far as employers and two year degrees, that will vary. In IT nany employers want to mostly see experience (even better experience AND certs). When I first worked in a NOC, one of the requests was for the candidate to have at least a two year degree. I have seen other job postings with a two year degree as well. If the job says four year degree "desired" and you have a two year, I'd say still definitely apply especially if you have experience and certs to boot.

From my perspective, being one that taught for years in both 2 year community colleges and also (later) universities (i.e those brick and mortars that offer graduate degrees and/or professional degrees, these being M.D, DPharm, etc) an AAS is fine as long as the institutions (and program) are fully accredited as you want to know your degree will transfer (or courses). I would only recommend WGU for those that know 100% they will not be going to use their WGU for graduate work (MA and/or Ph.D) at a brick and mortar.
    I am in no way knocking WGU. It specifically and clearly says in the literature the type of student that is a "good fit" with their style. They have all the right accreditation and it's quite inexpensive. Really, just a personal decision. There will be diverse opinions here. Nevertheless, if one has a BS/BA from a brick and mortar, you can apply for a graduate program and possibly get a graduate/research assistantship which means a full tuition waiver and a stipend. I have three Masters...never paid a penny for anything except books. Most here are "in the field" and have never been a professor.
    Get an AAS. That's my opinion only. Always want to make that clear. There is a reason the US is so far behind other nations in graduating folks with degrees in science/math. Ultimately, it's what you want and what your target industry generally looks for. Use this as a baseline. My thoughts only. Good luck in your pursuit.
  • Options
    broli720 wrote: »
    Honestly, Isuggest just going straight for your Bachelors. I mean there is a chance youmay not learn as much as you wanted but that's really not what college isabout. It's about developing analytical and problem solving skills. It teachesyou how to ask the right questions and it helps make you a well-rounded person.It's an investment. I racked up student loans when I went for my bachelors andI'm racking up more for my masters, but I'm betting that I will be in aposition 10 years from now to pay them off. I never bet against myself sothat's why I did it.

You can research in the Chronicle of Higher Education or another source. If one attends a brick and mortar, then you can apply for a graduate assistantship and this carries with it a full tuition waiver. Online schools can't offer this. Yet, having free tuition and a stipend with the caveat of having great GRE scores and references and a good overall GPA, is well worth looking into and, at least, considering.

I don't understand why more don't consider this option. I realize this is a WGU oriented forum but, really, aren't people aware of this thing called a "Grad Assistantship?" Go to the website of any state/regional university that grants MA/PhD's and you'll learn how to go "tuition free." Again, just my opinion. Nothing more.
    And, I agree with you about going straight for the BA/BS. Good post.
  • Options
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    Same here. It's either degree, certs, or experience, maybe even a combo of all 3.

What??? Nothing is "Either/Or" (unless you're reading Kierkegaard's). You can earn a degree, certs, and gain experience. Anybody that says you cannot is incorrectly assuming certain things as "facts." I'm over 40 and transitioning just fine. Do not let the vast majority of opinions here scare you into or out of a goal. There are, perhaps, four people here that offer opinions (via private message) that I put any value in (or I wouldn't ask these particular people). I rarely ask for "advice" now as I know how to research and find the answers on my own. Again, believe what you wish. You have free will to believe what you wish. I would, however, research any "advice" given. But, I'm a "stranger in a strange land" here. Yet, I like to read what others think.
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    If a given AAS degree transfers into a reputable four-year degree, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, those are great because it's an incremental credential you can earn without sacrificing either more time or money spend getting two different degrees. Generally speaking, you will be locked into relatively few choices to get an AAS to transfer, but that can apply just as widely to AA and AS degrees.

Something to consider about both two-year and four-year degrees, though, is the type of degree. Put briefly:
    of Science > of Arts >= of Applied Science >= other.

An AAS or BAS is not the same as a BS or AS, and it won't be treated the same. That doesn't mean it's worthless or even necessarily the wrong or a "bad" choice. The advantage of an "applied" degree is that generally you learn industry skills that are immediately useful in your career. An AAS or BAS in an IT field generally teaches specific tech skills similar to what are measured on IT certifications. Again, this is both an advantage and a disadvantage. The bachelor's you are going for is not going to have the same impact as a BS in Computer Science, for example. On the other hand, you will learn infrastructure-specific skills and it will still meet just about any job requirements for a bachelor's degree you're likely to encounter.

As far as two year degrees, they are certainly an improvement over no degree. In and of themselves, however, I have argued that they are not worth it. They don't add that much resume value, skill value, and there are realistically few, if any jobs that actually require a two-year degree. In general, if a bachelor's is not required, no degree is required. These are generalities, and these degrees do add value, but my overall view has been that if one is going to get a degree, the long-term plan is bachelor's or bust.

Regarding your opinion that two year degrees "are not worth it." Upon what empirical evidence is this based? They serve a purpose, though, it might be quite unique to each individual. It's akin to saying a PhD is not "worth it." a two year degree most certainly is worth it and there is ample evidence (not my "opinion") to support this premise.
    I think a Ph.D is better than any cert if it is in an IT field. Yet, I know I'm on the wrong forum to venture into this realm. Thus, I will not. But, I realize the audience on the forum are not usually interested in PhD's. Other forums for that. Still, where is the evidence to support your claim? I'm not talking about op-ed pieces or someone's blog. Just interested.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    completing an AAS that transfers into the BTech in the same school is fine.
    In most other cases and in many other community colleges, Obtaining their AS over their AA and then transferring within the school to the Bachelor's program requires additional classes as most credit does not get accepted.

It's fine at City Tech if you plan on staying there, but good luck trying to seamlessly transfer to a Bachelor's program elsewhere.

I myself did my research and learned that its the most IT related program within CUNY without being Computer Science.
    I was a student there and really dont recommend the school at all. I recently moved to Miami so my story is different. I was gonna stick it out and obtain that degree.

At Miami Dade College, I had the choice to either get the AA or AS. I chose the AA because it allows me to SEAMLESSLY transfer to University of Maryland Online when I do graduate. Not so much with the AS.

In your case it isnt bad since its within the same school.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Regarding your opinion that two year degrees "are not worth it." Upon what empirical evidence is this based? They serve a purpose, though, it might be quite unique to each individual. It's akin to saying a PhD is not "worth it." a two year degree most certainly is worth it and there is ample evidence (not my "opinion") to support this premise.
    I have no scientific evidence insofar as a study of two-year IT-related degrees compared to four-year IT-related degrees, with candidates have roughly the same credentials outside of the degree itself. I don't believe such a study exists, so what evidence have you? We are talking purely about this as it relates careers in IT infrastructure, by the way. I wouldn't say two-year degrees "are not worth it" out of that context. Basic salary studies show they are, but basic salary studies do not capture the complexities of infrastructure.

Here's what I do know: In the literally hundreds of IT job adds I've seen over the last ten years for positions in this field, I have seen virtually none that list two-year degrees as "required." In my experience, most job postings for IT-related positions are asking for bachelor's degrees or not asking for a degree. I know of no other technical professionals operating at my level who really have any respect for an associates degree. Sure, it might be qualification for a helpdesk job, but so's an A+ certification.

As someone who used to hire professionals myself, I can tell you a two-year degree would have almost no effect on my decision. Either they had the skills for the position in question or they didn't. The degree didn't prove the skills, didn't prove above-average intelligence -- ultimately, it didn't prove much. The problem is perhaps more in the curriculum than the level of the degree. Generally, an AAS or AS in IT/network/whatever will typically teach CCNA and MCSA level skills and everything below. The problem is that most of the candidates I've seen didn't have the certs to match the degree, and most of the ones I've interviewed didn't have the skills to match either. I'd rather just hire someone who has the certs than hope they actually learned those skills during their associate's. Most other technical professionals involved in the hiring process I know (on this site and off) feel roughly the same way. Again, we're talking about IT infrastructure here, not two-year degrees in general.

I know that of my employers, non has cared about my own AAS degree. By the time I finished it, I had enough experience that is was basically worthless. I certainly could have self-taught everything I learned earning it, and would probably have even done my MCSE.

For an AS or AAS to be "worth it" on its own without plans to use the credits towards a bachelor's degree (which was the condition I put on it not being worth it), it would have to be the best use of two year's worth of class time and tuition compared to alternatives. For virtually every area of IT infrastructure, a cheaper alternative is to self-study (or even pay for training) and take certifications. In far less than two years, one can get certifications that have more paper value than an AAS -- at least, that's my opinion based on nearly ten years of experience and every salary study I've even seen.
    I think a Ph.D is better than any cert if it is in an IT field. Yet, I know I'm on the wrong forum to venture into this realm. Thus, I will not. But, I realize the audience on the forum are not usually interested in PhD's. Other forums for that. Still, where is the evidence to support your claim? I'm not talking about op-ed pieces or someone's blog. Just interested.
    Most wouldn't disagree with you, actually (myself included). CS professors don't necessarily make less than CCIEs, and people with PhDs working in the industry can easily make much more.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an AAS. It got me into plenty of interviews. I know because I had no experience and no certs.
    I think its good if you want something quick and then transfer it to a 4 year school while you work.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Degree = overrated! Means nothing IMO, I have hired Desktop guys with BA's so does that mean they are über smart? Nope, as green and clueless as it gets.

Degree might come in handy on the business side of things (Mgmt, Executive) but all in all, meh!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I love AAS degrees. They don't cost a ton and they provide a lot of applicable knowledge. If I was just graduating highschool I would seriously consider a community college getting an AAS in EE or CS.

That is what I would recommend, of course like PT mention make sure it aligns with a local university in the area so you can snap right into their bachelor program and come out with a strong bachelors. That way you can ignore the masters and certifications and move forward.

I know SOOOOO many IT professionals who did it right the first time. Spent the 4 - 5 years straight out of college and got their EE or CS and never had to do a cert or masters. Most are doing exceptional well and all are doing respectably. 80+ in the midwest.

I would trade my bachelors and soon to be MBA along with all my certs for one solid awesome CS degree. No questions asked!
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    I have an AAS. It got me into plenty of interviews. I know because I had no experience and no certs.
    I think its good if you want something quick and then transfer it to a 4 year school while you work.

yea but that is much harder as certain classes wont transfer. an AA is meant for transferring, whereas a AS is not.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Degree = overrated! Means nothing IMO, I have hired Desktop guys with BA's so does that mean they are über smart? Nope, as green and clueless as it gets.

Degree might come in handy on the business side of things (Mgmt, Executive) but all in all, meh!

There's a lot of hard data saying those with degrees make more than those who have none.
  • Options

After reading some of your past posts and seeing such adjectives as "worthless" and other words that debase the inherent dignity of a human being, I realize that there is a high probability nothing I say to you will do anything to persuade you that education is, in and of itself, important. Plus, I am not in the business of attempting to convince anyone of such obvious things. I choose not to respond, after this one, to anything you write. Regarding the inherent need and value of "education," I leave you with a quote:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

"Education is the transmission of civilization."
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Will Durant[/FONT]
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I have no scientific evidence insofar as a study of two-year IT-related degrees compared to four-year IT-related degrees, with candidates have roughly the same credentials outside of the degree itself. I don't believe such a study exists, so what evidence have you? We are talking purely about this as it relates careers in IT infrastructure, by the way. I wouldn't say two-year degrees "are not worth it" out of that context. Basic salary studies show they are, but basic salary studies do not capture the complexities of infrastructure.

Here's what I do know: In the literally hundreds of IT job adds I've seen over the last ten years for positions in this field, I have seen virtually none that list two-year degrees as "required." In my experience, most job postings for IT-related positions are asking for bachelor's degrees or not asking for a degree. I know of no other technical professionals operating at my level who really have any respect for an associates degree. Sure, it might be qualification for a helpdesk job, but so's an A+ certification.

As someone who used to hire professionals myself, I can tell you a two-year degree would have almost no effect on my decision. Either they had the skills for the position in question or they didn't. The degree didn't prove the skills, didn't prove above-average intelligence -- ultimately, it didn't prove much. The problem is perhaps more in the curriculum than the level of the degree. Generally, an AAS or AS in IT/network/whatever will typically teach CCNA and MCSA level skills and everything below. The problem is that most of the candidates I've seen didn't have the certs to match the degree, and most of the ones I've interviewed didn't have the skills to match either. I'd rather just hire someone who has the certs than hope they actually learned those skills during their associate's. Most other technical professionals involved in the hiring process I know (on this site and off) feel roughly the same way. Again, we're talking about IT infrastructure here, not two-year degrees in general.

I know that of my employers, non has cared about my own AAS degree. By the time I finished it, I had enough experience that is was basically worthless. I certainly could have self-taught everything I learned earning it, and would probably have even done my MCSE.

For an AS or AAS to be "worth it" on its own without plans to use the credits towards a bachelor's degree (which was the condition I put on it not being worth it), it would have to be the best use of two year's worth of class time and tuition compared to alternatives. For virtually every area of IT infrastructure, a cheaper alternative is to self-study (or even pay for training) and take certifications. In far less than two years, one can get certifications that have more paper value than an AAS -- at least, that's my opinion based on nearly ten years of experience and every salary study I've even seen.

Most wouldn't disagree with you, actually (myself included). CS professors don't necessarily make less than CCIEs, and people with PhDs working in the industry can easily make much more.

Good points and I really appreciate clarifying what you meant. I think, at some level, we must not forget that their is a difference between being "educated" (i.e. the underlying philosophy that society means by "education") and "training" (very job/role specific). One doesn't need a diploma to be "educated." I mean, Aristotle did not have what we'd call a "college degree." The essence of learning is knowing and being motivated to teach yourself a particular topic. Degrees are valuable only insofar as society assigns value to what you study. Ergo, a Ph.D in, say, Medieval literature will not have the "value" as a Ph.D in Chemistry.
    You are correct, I think, that the "value" of a AAS degree is very industry specific. I define "worth" not in what a degree will allow me to earn but rather if it brings me, personally, an inner sense of fulfillment and happiness that goes far beyond material worth and has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else or what someone else might think.
    Good post.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Here's my personal experience. When I completed high school, my family expected me to go for a 4 year degree. It was looked down upon if you want to college and not university. At that time (a decade ago), only degrees in IT was Computer Science and I wasn't interested because it was all theory and I disliked programming so I decided to go to college and complete a 3 year advance diploma with paid co-op in computer systems and networking. Co-op gave me 1.5 years of experience and this put me at an advantage.

Right after graduation, I then applied for an online brick and motor school which had connections with my college. I did a year and change and was then able to get my BS in InfoSec. Worked for a year then after I got laid off, I decided to get my Masters part-time in Computer Networking from a reputable local university. As soon as I started the program, I received a job offer. Just graduated last week and I feel relieved especially what I went through the last 2 months.

After all the success that I had, my family and relatives admit they were wrong for judging me and putting so much pressure to go to university. My little brother is following the same footsteps but he'll have someone to guide him. Looking back, my HS guidance counsellor didn't do jack to help me towards post secondary education. Would probably recommend taking useless degrees such as Arts!

If you have a plan, stick with it because everyone's experience is different. I choose college because it was all hands-on (Cisco, Microsoft, Linux, Novell, programming, etc) and the tuition was low. I have been working while going to school so my diploma, BS, and Masters are all paid for. My next big goal is to get the CCIE by 30. Haven't yet decided between R&S or DC. Anything is possible, just stick it through.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    After reading some of your past posts and seeing such adjectives as "worthless" and other words that debase the inherent dignity of a human being, I realize that there is a high probability nothing I say to you will do anything to persuade you that education is, in and of itself, important. Plus, I am not in the business of attempting to convince anyone of such obvious things. I choose not to respond, after this one, to anything you write. Regarding the inherent need and value of "education," I leave you with a quote:

"Education is the transmission of civilization."

Will Durant

Alas, to each his own young one. Do I have a degree you wonder? Unfortunately a very expensive one. Maybe after you achieve your amazing degree you will be able to read between the lines of what I wrote.

Education does not equal a "degree", think on that
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Alas, to each his own young one. Do I have a degree you wonder? Unfortunately a very expensive one. Maybe after you achieve your amazing degree you will be able to read between the lines of what I wrote.

Education does not equal a "degree", think on that

Well, you can't just get a degree and expect people to fawn over you. Its about applying knowledge.

This forum doesn't really talk about soft skills as much as technical skills, so its not the greatest context for degree talks. If your goal is CIO/CEO then degrees will help. Probably not so much if your goal is to be a high level technology architect.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yea but that is much harder as certain classes wont transfer. an AA is meant for transferring, whereas a AS is not.

mine transferred just fine. to both my local Univ and WGU.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently starting a AAS with a concentration in programming at my local community college. Are you folks telling me it is a waste of time and money? After completing the degree I can not continue my education to a BS? Should I fear not being able to find a job and just go with an AS and transfer to a 4 year college? This is very important to me as I am a 30 year old and time is valuable. Im looking to start a new carrer and was very excited about my new venture until a read this thread.

I would continue on the path you are going. Pound out the entry level certs and start applying. I got into the IT field with no formal education or certs. I am 30 working on my AAS and moving over to an university. Talk with your Advisors and they can point you into the correct path. Most if not all my credits will transfer to my BS.

As to getting the AAS, we just hired a guy who has his AAS with just two certs and some exp. So it won't hurt you at all.
  • Options
    AS is going to vary by region and school. If you go to a state school and transfer to another state school, you are very likely to transfer many credits. However, it all depends on the schools and programs in questions.

AAS, on the other hand, typically don't transfer well except to programs explicitly meant to follow-up on the AAS.
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This has been an interesting thread to follow. I'm one of the old dudes (41) making a career change... I'm retired military. I agree with the importance of having the AAS transfer to another degree program. I'm currently completing two AAS degrees and in the Fall I will start on a BSIS. The tech program I'm in falls under a 90/30 program. I will complete 90 hours at the community college and the remaining 30 at the University. You actually end up with an AA in the mix as well. I passed the CCNA in January and where I see a challenge when it comes to my future employment, it will be my lack of experience. I'll have plenty of school... a cert or two and no real experience in IT. Even if the AAS degrees do not really hold a ton of weight so to speak, to me, they are beneficial and I do not feel like my time has been wasted. I have seen job postings requiring at a minimum an AAS degree with experience.

The benefits of going to school... at least from my perspective have been networking with other students and faculty. Not to mention having access to the instructors and lab equipment. I would agree with Rosco to continue on with your AAS track and just make sure if you want to move on to a bachelor's degree your credits will transfer.

Just some FYI ....

My instructor.... 27 years in the business... no degrees... only certifications with experience. Is an IT manager for the a large company. He mentioned on several occasions he was passed over for managerial jobs because he didn't have a degree. It's one of the main reasons I'm going to finish with school.

Classmate #1 just got hired 3 days ago... no certs... no degree just yet , he will complete the AAS this Fall and he has 1 year IT experience. He was picked up under an 18 month intern program... large company...starting out at $45k a year.

Classmate #2 not finished with his AAS but just completed his CCNA has 7 years experience in IT but not on the networking side of things... picked up by a large company and is making close to $70K

Classmate #3 Hired on with another community college to teach adjunct... just got his CCNA has several years experience in IT but is working on his AAS to round things out.

Classmate #4 Picked up by major hotel chain... Red Hat certified with 2 AAS degrees.. no real world experience.

I just wanted to share this with you as each person has varying levels of experience and education but the common thread for most has been the AAS or the pursuit of the AAS degrees.

Best of luck with everything.
    Hatch
  • Options
    fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am happy with my AAS in Computer Networking. I plan on transferring to WGU when I get a chance (a job that is). Probably going to go the BS:Security route... :P
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have to LOL at the premise some are making here that AAS is useless because online job postings don't generally list them as a requirement. In a lot of cases, even if a 4-year degree is listed as a requirement, it is not really a requirement. Much of the time it is more of a baseline.

Going the community college route is a great way to get certification prep lumped in with your degree requirements. Those classes won't transfer, but you should be well on your way to a couple of certs during this time, with hands-on classroom training. As someone mentioned previously, if you're going to transfer from a public college in the same same state to a public university, the core courses are most likely going to transfer. In NC, pretty much all the core University requirements are offered at the community colleges and most of them transfer.

If you play it smart, after two years, you have an AAS degree, a certification or two, and have many of your core requirements for a bachelor's degree knocked out for a small fraction of the cost of just doing all 4 years (or more) at the university.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...