Options

What would you do? Stay or pursue something else?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
Help Desk positions at a certain NYC agency pays it's support staff $80,000+ a year for minimal amount of work (I'm talking about maybe at most 30 tickets per day spread between 4-5 people). The people who have been here already have been here for years and have no intentions of ever moving anywhere as they are very comfortable in their position. There's a possibility of starting there within the next year but as I have been shown, there is literally almost no room for personal or educational development in the roles they have.

What do you do? Do you stay there bored out of your mind occasionally having work sent your way, but make 80k+(NYC) government job and all the benefits that come with that, or do you try to move into something more exciting with a potential for greater rewards towards the end of your career?
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Dang...depending on what part of NYC (Manhattan?), that's only $35k here...sounds about on par for HD work.

If you're motivated you can self educate outside of work while you collect an easy paycheck. Or if you desire more than HD you can look for something beyond that and get good XP while at work. I would do whatever makes you happy.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you using that website that compares salaries between cities/states in the US? Given that it's located in Manhattan, you can pretty much be coming in from most parts of NYC and make it to work in around an hour. The most expensive place to live would be Manhattan, but I can't see making 80k and living in certain parts of NYC count as 35k in another part of the country -__-

Edit: For the record I live in Brooklyn. I feel like it's a place to stay for 5+ years until I'm ready to actually start on a better career track.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a boring way to lose literally $1-2 million over the course of your career.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't work there for a year or three. It can easily be the gateway to a better job elsewhere, and the relative ease of the job should give you plenty of time for more education or certification studying.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    I would take it until I find a job in the field that I want to work in. You could use the downtime to study for certs. With that much money starting out, you get the advantage of being able to afford study materials and decent lab equipment over others just starting out.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    ltj8765ltj8765 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It all depends on you as an individual and what are your circumstances? If you are married, how does wanting to change a job affect your family? If you are single, what is holding you back? Age, are you getting older and do not like change as much? All these variables factor in at some point. Job security and a steady income, or taking a risk for greater income? Personally, I think you can have the security and the risk at the same time. Never quit your job until you have a new one (obviously and you probably know this), but actively look for something that is more interesting for you and hopefully pays more money?

The thing is, you have already answered your own question. You state it is a boring job and that right there shows it is not the right place for you. I would take the chance and look for something new.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    prtech wrote: »
    I would take it until I find a job in the field that I want to work in. You could use the downtime to study for certs.
    This is exactly what I would say. Downtime could = study time.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I would probably stay for a yr, pay my debts then move on
    meh