Options

UC520 Question

azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anybody know the max Flash and DRAM for the UC520 (I know they are not meant to be field upgradeable, but...)?

Also if the DSP's can be increased as it can support a VWIC2-1MFT.

Just bought one off eBay, with 128F 256D. But comparing the IOS with the 1861 which is more or less its brother, v15.1M advipservices requires 512D (feature pack v8.6). Have checked Cisco IOS Feature Navigator, but no mention there...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I've had 1Gig cards in a UC520. Dram Im' not 2 sure off as they come from the factory configured already. I've never opened up one to see if you can change anything on board.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can put any old CF flash card in it. Inside there is a single PVDM2 slot (the US version ships with a PVDM2-32), and a single stick of RAM which is removable (looks like laptop RAM).

You cannot run the 1861 IOS on it – If you try it’ll give you an invalid platform error LOL

And a word of advice – If you open it there is a screw hidden behind the plastic face plate. Take the face off first!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys.

Hadn't planned to try an 1861 IOS, but that doesn't mean I hadn't thought about it due to the platform similarities.

Being a "closed" platform (or in Cisco speak: non field upgradable) hardware info is well hidden. Had found the info on the PVDM2 which allows a VWIC2 PRI. Good to know about the RAM and the cunningly hidden screw. Have found similar on the 2851, it takes old DDR1 RAM.

Now if it only took an ADSL HWIC, having an 877 seems like overkill just to pass ADSL thru. That seems to be the one difference, 1861 takes WAN HWICS, UC520 takes VWICS.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah, you're pretty much limited to an Ethernet handoff for your WAN connection - it's Cisco's way of trying to sell you an additional device :). I saw a small deployment were the "engineer" sold the place a 2801 and an ASA5505 to terminate an Internet T1 in front of a UC520... Meanwhile a pice of carrier CPE with an Ethernet handoff sat powered off in the rack LOL
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    The UC520 arrived Friday, so had the weekend to have a play. IOS v15.1M runs well in 256M RAM, I wouldn't call it a crippled IOS to squeeze it in, lets just call it "feature limited" for an advipservices feature set.

You're not wrong about "limited to an Ethernet handoff for your WAN connection". Routing is limited to RIPv1, or static routes, but as there are no WAN interfaces there is no real need (even though BGP, ISIS, OSPF are all listed as available protocols). Outbound routing consists of the usual 0.0.0.0 default route. Routing back to it from an 877 took some work arounds. As you can't configure a L3 interface on the integrated switch ports, I set up a new VLAN, created an SVI for it and assigned it an IP address, then assigned the vlan to the switch port. Talk about jumping thru hoops, however the creative thinking got me there.:)