Options

What kind of IT jobs/IT job titles give employees the ability to work from home?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
Would be nice as a career option some time down the line when I start making a bunch of rascals icon_silent.gif
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's more about the organization. Think about it; if you're not doing hands on equipment configuration/installation/repair, there's no true barrier to working from home. So it's more a question of what roles don't give the ability, followed by what companies. The former is generally going to be obvious (hands-on configuration), the latter is simply numerous. Most companies don't offer 100% telecommute. Many and more are starting to offer the flexibility of occasional or as-needed WFH. Every salaried position I've had would certainly allow it for those instances when someone needs to be home for some business-hours-only home service (cable technician, plumber, electrician, etc.).

I did interview for one position that was essentially a BI admin/engineer, and they allowed employees to do 100% telecommute and even relocate anywhere after a few years of service.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I work for an MSP and 90% of the work we do is remote, so it theoretically doesn't matter if I'm doing it from the office or doing it from my couch.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes what you can do and allowed to do are two different things.

All my IT jobs i could have done remotely but it was against company policy.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    You're going to find that the companies that usually offer the work from home program are the larger companies with tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of employees. It saves on real estate costs and it allows the companies to have their workforce spread out for business continuity reasons and also allows them to reach talent located in areas other than their headquarters location. I work for one of the largest financial firms in the US and I work from home full time. I work in information security. In my firm a lot of InfoSec jobs, management jobs, and other jobs where it doesn't require being on the phone are eligible for work from home. And thats IT and non-IT jobs. Hope that helps.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I haven't seen it posted yet, but our policy tends to be more flexible for people that have some seniority with the company. After working here 5 years my boss (who is half way across the country anyways) allowed me to work 50% from home now. As long as I'm on Lync and I jump on my SCCM issues and return phone calls quickly it's never even talked about.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do you guys who have worked from home over an extended period of time find it? Is the line between work time and family time as blurry as they say it is?
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    Bill3rdshiftBill3rdshift Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    What kind of IT jobs/IT job titles give employees the ability to work from home?

Not Yahoo!! LOL
    Reading: Incident Response & Disaster Recovery, Server 2008r2 Administration, IT Security Interviews Exposed
    Telecom Info Page: http://telecom.tbi.net
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    How do you guys who have worked from home over an extended period of time find it? Is the line between work time and family time as blurry as they say it is?

I've been working from home since September 2010. I have a 2 year old and 3 month old. My oldest was born a week after I started working from home. I've never had an issue with working at home with children, but I can say no all people will enjoy being at home with their spouse all day. You lose the feeling of being gone then coming home happy to see them. I have a separate office and occasionally my daughter comes in to say hi or when I step out for something she talks to me, but it's never been an issue. One thing I can say is its nice to get off work at 4 and be able to spend time with them right away rather than having a drive eat 30-60 minutes more of my day.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework