Options

Considering skipping 70-686...

SirAlchemistSirAlchemist Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been lerking around the forums for a while now. I finally joined because I could really use some advice.

I've been planning to take MS exam 70-686 for over a month now and then go for the Upgrade exam for MCSA: Windows Server 2012 (70-417). I've completed my studies, doing well on practice exams, all is well in the world. However, when I took a look at the book for 70-417, I felt like I would be honestly cheating myself due to a lacking foundation in Windows Server 2008 R2. Sure, 70-686 covers some server topics but I just feel like there'd be alot missing going that route. Besides, MCITP seems to be on the way out for in exchange for MCSA (which I already have thanks for 70-685). I'm really worried about the ROI for this certification... Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Falcon56Falcon56 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you've already got an MCSA: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician, right? To my understanding you pick either the Enterprise Admin or the Desktop Support Technician.

IMO, this is overkill with an OS certification. I would get the heck out of Dodge and get onto the Server exams. What else are you going to prove with another OS certification? Nothing that is going to make a difference on a resume if you ask me. I'm worried about your ROI on this cert too. I really don't see the advantage.
  • Options
    EruMaisEruMais Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are already seeking out the server route, and already have the 70-685, then you don't need the 686. Your concern lies in a lack of familiarity with Server 2k8. It's going to be a while before 2012 is adapted by the enterprise. I would seek out your MCITP:SA a.k.a MCSA 2008 and then when 2012 is more widespread, then go for the 70-417 bridge. I don't think a "quick path" to MCSA 2012 would even be wise at this point. It would probably end up being more work than the three MCSA exams because of the lack of foundation you have. Once you get your foundation, then you can go wherever you want in the server path because you'll know what you're doing.
  • Options
    SirAlchemistSirAlchemist Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I feel more comfortable dropping this cert now. I honestly do not feel like it was a waste of time since I learned alot of vaulable information about Windows 7 and 2008 that I'll be able to apply on the job and when trying to achieve my MCSA:2008. I think I'll go for 70-640 Active Directory first to get it out of the way then maybe take the CCENT before going for Network Config.