Options

database field

what is it like working with databases as a dba? are there any entry level database administrator opportunities around the tri state area nj/ny/pa? also what is the pros and cons of being a dba

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From your previous posts, I assume you have a desire to be a dba and you are seeking an opportunity to break in.

While I have never exclusively been a dba, I do and have worked with many dba's.

In my experience, I have never really heard of entry-level dba roles. (it kinda like looking for an entry level CIO job; an extreme example but hopefully you get my point) Most of those types of roles require some level of previous systems support or development background. If there are entry-level dba roles, I would imagine that they are mostly simple level-1 positions similar to an operations role performing database duties like backup/restore, access setup, and log monitoring.

As for pros/cons - I imagine that's heavily dependent on what you would consider a pro or con icon_smile.gif Most of the dba's that I know have jobs similar in principal to email administrators - just a different application stack.
  • Options
    programmer24programmer24 Banned Posts: 122
    yes I agree paul I just want to build on the database experience since I know about creating databases, dml, ddl, dcl, and besides its better to me than becoming a software developer I hate sitting at a computer and writing programs 8 hours of days
  • Options
    If that's the case, your best bet is to try to get a support position first. Any kind of helpdesk or operations role where the job includes exposure to database support is your best bet.

Just be aware that to learn the intricacies and nuances of being a successful database administrator or database engineer, you will absolutely need to get real-world experience. No organization is going to put an unproven individual to the keys to their databases which is usually the key to the business.

BTW - a DBA job is basically sitting at a computer all day. And I would imagine that entry-level positions are very rote and repetitive. That doesn't mean it's boring - it's what you make of it.
  • Options
    where I can find a helpdesk job that deals with databases
  • Options
    some of the position looking for 2 to 5 years experience and I just graduated in December 2012 like I have a year experience or less
  • Options
    I just did a quick search on indeed.com in your area - NJ. Here's a bunch that you can apply for.

Help Desk, Data Entry jobs - Dice.com
    Help Desk support Data Entry Operator
    Career Search - Rothstein Kass

The jobs are out there - you may not get a perfect fit. But right now - it sounds like you need a foot in the door and to get some paid experience.
  • Options
    that's all I need a foot in the door because if I just get the certs then I don't know how that would affect me
  • Options
    UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    What degree do you have from which school?

What is your 1 year of experience?

You can upload your resume and we can suggest which role to look for.

Database roles are very tough to jump into without exp.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're looking to find a job that deals with databases at all, you're probably going to need prior experience in other areas of IT. Database related roles aren't really entry level. You're dealing with someones data and it's very easy to mess something up. My previous role was dealing with point of sales systems and we dealt with anything from restaurant sales to employee information to menu items. Some stuff was backed up, some tables were too large or changed too frequently to back up very often so you had to be very careful or you could end up very unemployed. I thought I learned a lot about databases then but now I work at a webhosting company. We don't touch the actual data but we do troubleshoot mysql connectivity and performance issues/tuning along with SQL Server for the Windows servers. I still don't consider myself anything close to a DBA but I would imagine that years of system administration experience could get you there.
  • Options
    yes I agree paul I just want to build on the database experience since I know about creating databases, dml, ddl, dcl, and besides its better to me than becoming a software developer I hate sitting at a computer and writing programs 8 hours of days

If you don't want to sit at a desk all day then you're better off looking for a field tech position or any position that involves setting up and configuring computer or network hardware. Whether it's help desk, programming, database administration or system administration your going to be sitting at a desk. It's just the nature of most IT career fields. We're not really out in the field doing any back breaking labor and if you don't want to do programming then you'll probably start out in a call center at a desk taking call after call with no break making considerably less money than you would be making as a programmer who's every bathroom break isn't being monitored. Trust me, if you've got the college degree and the skills to be a programmer you can make life a lot easier on yourself by avoiding the low paying overworked help desk role.
  • Options
    OBJECTIVE:
    To obtain a position utilizing strong technical skills, educational background, and ability to work well with others in a team setting
    TECHINICAL SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS
    Programming Languages: Java, PHP, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, JQuery, C/C++, C#, VB.Net, SQL
    Software Applications: Eclipse, Dreamweaver, WebMatrix, Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, Textpad, Crystal Reports
    Database Management: MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle
    Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Ubuntu
    Other Technical Skills: System Analysis & Design concepts, PC Imaging, Basic Networking Concepts, Basic Troubleshooting
    RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
    NJ Community Development Corporation Paterson, NJ
    IT Assistant 3/2012 to 5/2012
    Organized the Paterson Family Center (PFC) Database by exporting the database from Excel to Access
    Planned, designed, and updated the PFC Database by using the database normalization techniques and query wizard/SQL commands in Access to create new tables
    Bloomfield College Bloomfield, NJ
    Student -Database Project 1/2012 to 5/2012
    Planned, analyzed and designed a web phonebook application
    Coded, tested, and debugged the web application
    Performed maintenance on the web phonebook application and presented to the class
    Student-Applied Systems Development Project 9/2011 to 12/2011
    Worked with a team to create a school registration application for Bloomfield College including writing the requirements and using cases documents, Gantt Chart, and business documents to design and analyze it
    Implemented and tested the application program to see if the program ran without any issues
    Performed maintenance on the school registration application and presented it to the audience
    IT Assistant 5/2011 to 8/2011
    Organized the IT room to make sure equipment was properly placed
    Assisted the IT technician with setting up the computers around different buildings
    Learned about Ethernet slicing, repairing computers and printers, and basic networking and PC imaging
    WORK EXPERIENCE
    McCarter & English LLP,  Newark, NJ
    Operations/Mailroom Clerk 6/2008 Present
    Process and sort incoming and outgoing first class mail, FedEx, UPS, Eastern Connection packages, and Express Mail for attorneys
    Perform office duties including checking supplies for office and photocopying and faxing documents
    EDUCATION
    Bachelor of Science, December 2012, Bloomfield College, Bloomfield, NJ
    Major: Computer Information Systems
    this is my resume
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Good luck on your job search
    lol.png 33.6K
  • Options
    hahaha very funny maybe databases will be good for me since im kind introverted lol
  • Options
    I wish you the best.
  • Options
    Thank you man. I actually went to the interview at nyc for a web developer position and I didn't get it because of my poor interview skills. Also it made me realize I am not good in programming as I thought I were
  • Options
    one more thing inorder to specialize in the database field do you need portfolios for that
  • Options
    You need experience for that.

Seriously most DBA's I know of have been with a company for a long time and know how the data flows and/or CS majors or identified earlier on because of their tremendous skill sets. Some are old dogs still hanging on from the golden years.

Keep working at your skills and get into a company and move on up. That's the best I can offer you.
  • Options
    Basically I need to find a helpdesk/data/quality assurance/business analyst jobs that would help me be a dba
  • Options
    quality assurance won't happen most likely, BA would require some experience, unless you know someone. Data is a stretch again that would be the hardest to land out of all of those, maybe tied to QA. Sounds like service desk would be your best bet.

You could try for those others on a short term contract, that maybe a possibility.
  • Options
    you mean helpdesk
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Help Desk is also known as Service Desk and you will likely start there. As you gain experience, you can start to specialize. Most companies are not going to let someone untested work on their databases. One thing you could do is to put together a portfolio of your own databases and show how they work with a program you wrote.
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Help Desk is also known as Service Desk and you will likely start there. As you gain experience, you can start to specialize. Most companies are not going to let someone untested work on their databases. One thing you could do is to put together a portfolio of your own databases and show how they work with a program you wrote.

Yes, people get fired behind mistakes that cause loss of data. I've had an Engineer at a previous job tell me that if I screwed up anything in a particular database that we would all be fired. I'm honestly glad that my current job has a hands off policy on data.
  • Options
    What do you do there