Options

So what's it like to work in network / systems administration?

jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, found this board only the other day and it looks like a great place to hang-out.

Here's my situation (if people don't mind giving me some information):

- I've been a computer/video game programmer for 10+ years (mostly C++) for a mid-sized company in the UK.
- I'm 31 now.
- People think video game development is great - it was OK for the 1st 7 years but after that it starts to get to you : long hours, low pay and lots of hard work with canned projects.
- The worst part is that I feel like a "slave" to the desk. My entire time is spent in front of a screen with little interaction with others because they're all too busy doing the same thing as me : programming. The occasional meeting breaks this up.
- I can't see myself doing the same when I'm in my 40's. Really feel like I need a career change.
- I love programming, but on my own projects.
- I have a growing interest in the web / hacking / networking / hardware

So I want to stay in IT - as I love technology and I'm good with computers. I've been looking into network / system administration - as I believe those kinds of jobs are a little more "hands on" and interaction with people is far more fequent. I also think there's a greater need for those kinds of jobs.

Are these assumptions correct?

Thanks for any help

Jim

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The interaction sounds like it will be about the same for you as it is now. The same sitting in front of a screen with the random meeting to break it up. If you do low level held desk type work you will probably interact with users more often. Or maybe in a consulting/sales gig presenting for clients. In the end most administration type work is still done sitting at a computer just like programming.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Low pay?
    Maybe you should move in the chain of programming?
    Programmers are way more in demand ta sys admins
    And usually are well paid
    meh