WGU: MSISA Academics

ltj8765ltj8765 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
After searching many posts and getting a headache I could not find information that provided feedback on the academic aspects of the MSISA degree at WGU so decided to post this question. If there is a post or two out there I missed, my apologies for asking this question again :)

Anyone that is in the MSISA program or has completed the program, I am just wondering what it is like? Is there a lot of research and writing, or more on the practical application of the material, etc. I am looking for your experiences while in the program and how you view it academically?

i am still trying to decide if it is right for me but just want a little more information.

Comments

• forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    The WGU MSc ISA curriculum I enrolled in consisted of 6 exams (Objective assessments), and 8 writing-intensive (Performance assessments) courses, plus EWB (orientation course). The six exams were through Cisco, GIAC, and EC-Council. So yes, there's a major opportunity to practice and apply what you learn while preparing for the exams just as you would if you were to take them outside of the degree. In other words, you can't pass the CCNA exam without labbing and understanding CLI outputs and etc... EC-Council's exams were somewhat different, and you could read about them in their respective forums elsewhere on this site. The only exception is the GIAC G2700 exam; it is very CISSP-like, and requires tons of reading and comprehensive understanding of IT governance and policies.

The performance assessment courses consisted of three to five papers each, averaging about five to ten pages. They were not extremely difficult, but here again are opportunities for you to spend a lot of time sorting through academic papers, vendors' white papers, and Google. Expect to have your papers bounced back multiple times for justification, expansion, or otherwise complete re-writes.

The capstone paper is yet the largest project that lets you explore in-depth a topic that interests you (with the thesis' adviser's approval, of course). Once you're enrolled there's a library of capstone papers from former students at your disposal. It appeared to me about half of the papers were very technical, and half policy-based with technical justifications. So I would say every MSc student had practical applications of policies and skills they learned from the program at various degrees.

I would suggest to assess your long term goals and see where a MSc degree might help or hinder your progress. A masters degree is a step towards deeper understanding of theories and policies, so if you expected only hands-on experience, there are better ways obtain that without the stress of studying and writing long papers. If you look at other universities' MSc ISA programs you would notice a similar pattern. The delivery and emphasis on contents may be different, but there's only so many ways you can slice a pie, so you would find that most MSc ISA programs are very similar in outcomes.
  • ltj8765ltj8765 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Forestgiant: Thanks for the excellent advice and the information on the program. You answered most of what I was looking for and academically is sounds like what I was expecting. Writing papers is actually very easy for me, so I think I could move through those assignments rather quickly. I take it that they want everything strictly APA style, etc.?

You are correct on assessing my long term goals and that is the biggest question I am dealing with at this point and why I was looking for more information on the academics of the program. My path for sure is more towards the management, planning, and policy side. On the same note, I still plan to be involved on the engineering and implementation side, but more from a technical manager perspective. So yes, I think the Masters route would be best for me. I could go into detail on what I do, but I do not want to get long winded and boring :)

The other reason I wanted to hear more on the academic side of things is I want to make sure that the MSc ISA is the correct degree? I am also looking at the MBA IT degree as well. The biggest problem I am having is the domains of study in each program that I really want, yet they are available only in one or the other! For example, in the MSc ISA, there is no domain for financial analysis and in the MBA IT, it lacks in the network and security domains of study. They are both good, but…you can see my dilemma. If I could add in a domain from one program to another, it would make things a lot easier!! Primarily I like everything in the MBA IT degree, but want the GIAC 2700 courses along with it…if that makes sense?

You did mention the GIAC 2700 exam and that is actually one of the certifications I am primarily interested in. I have never taken any certification exams as I never needed them. However, I want to fill that void, thus my interest in the GIAC 2700. Can you give more information on this certification? How long did you study, what was the study material used, etc? I have no background in IT security, is it difficult concepts to grasp without relevant experience in ones background?

Thanks again!!
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm working my way through the MSISA right now. I wouldn't call it overly challenging but it is a little draining for the obvious reason that there's more paper writing and it's my personal preference to procrastinate those assignments after a long work day. There's a lot of scenario-based assignments where you have to apply what you've learned in practical ways such as writing reports for management or preparing a presentation for non-technical executives or end users. There are also the certifications but honestly, I feel that the certifications provided are kind of a joke. I would see the CISSP as more of a "graduate level" exam that I would see the CEH. It's not a bad program but I feel like I'm just working towards collecting that piece of paper instead of learning a lot of new or practical things like I did for my undergrad degree.

Anyways, that's my opinion. I'm sure others would have different views on it
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • ltj8765ltj8765 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Iristheangel: Thanks and that is some good information! Can you tell me what the writing assignments are like? As mentioned from my previous post, I do well with writing (write a lot of process/engineering specifications, etc.) and I have done a ton of presentations and training in the past, so hopefully it would not be overwhelming. I think I would be like you and after a hard day at work...tend to procrastinate the writing assignments!! How have you found the certifications so far, i.e., technically challenging, straight forward, intensive, etc., and tests for them?

Thanks again for your comments and I very much appreciate your time.
    It's not technical or engineering specifics. More process driven and reports that are supposed to be for management - Scenario based tasks. It definitely doesn't overwhelm in my opinion. I feel like the work load is a bit underwhelm and I'm a little bored by it to be honest. At this point, I'm going to collect the piece of paper and move on.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I agree with Iris, EC-Council exams are crap. CCENT... they should go back to CCNA, GIAC are always good (working on that one right now).

Papers... lots of papers (and some ppt). It seems geared more towards people that want to be CISO and management (but it is Masters level, so that's not uncommon). A good number of the projects were almost the same as things I've actually done at work, so in that regard I really like the program.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Great thread... I'm currently debating between the MS:ISA at WGU and taking a crack at the CCIE track. I saw in a prior thread that there are a few changes taking place that would potentially affect the MS:ISA, which include the following:

· LKT2 (Network Security Practices and Policies) will change to a WGU exam on May 1st.
    · FYV2 (Security Policies and Standards – Compliance and Certification) will change from GIAC exam to a WGU exam on May 1st.

Do you think this change is potentially a good thing, or does it take away from the current program? I noticed that in previous threads, they did away from the CCNA requirement, due to what appeared to be a low pass rate. I'd hate to think they were "dumbing down" the program. Any thoughts?
  • ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    From my understanding the GIAC exam was partially a contract issue (with the vendor) and the cost. WGU was paying 549USD for each student, which is quite a bit given the cost of tuition. There's also the issue where they couldn't provide the official SANS material, which makes passing the exam much harder. Many students had to go out and purchase extra materials for that exam, which goes against their model.

LKT2, hadn't heard about that change... that course wasn't bad, really hope that they just add a test.

Bigger issue for me is, where will one take these exams? If it's with the camera that could be a problem for some students (expecially those overseas with the military). I know I didn't want to use that thing because of the requirements, I don't use Windows and I have 4 monitors on my desk, both of which would have to change to use the WGU proctoring. If it can be taken at a site, if it's not prometric or pearson vue you still have the issue with military being unable to take the exams.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • fcatfcat Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Greetings All,

I will be starting the Ms ISA program in September. I will be coming in with the all the require certifications, so I have COV2, FMV2, and FNV2 covered. My hopes is to get through the program in 2 terms. To that end, I want to get a jump on things and have a few question I hope the folks here can answer.

1. Is there a set or recommended order to taking the classes?
    2. Are there classes you found built or complemented another, lending to taking them together or in a set order?
    3. Is there someplace outside of the WGU system to get an idea of what the assessments are for the classes? I would like to get started but don't have access to the WGU student sites yet.
    4. Are there hard requirements on the Capstone (number of pages, references, etc)?

I am excited to get started, but already anxious to get it done.

Thanks in advance.
    1. There's an order that comes standard but you can switch it around any way you like. It's not a big deal if you want to do one thing or the other first.
    2. Not really. At least to me.
    3. Not officially that I know of.
    4. For the MSISA, the number of pages tends to be 50-100 pages. It's not a hard requirement but it's a graduate degree capstone so you can't really slack off on that.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • zxshockaxzzxshockaxz Member Posts: 108
    So are classes at WGU like your standard online school's? You're enrolled in four or five classes at a time, and just work on them all at the same time, or do you knock out one class, move on to the next, and so on throughout the six month period?
    You're usually enrolled in four or five classes at a time and you knock them out one-by-one. When you're done, if you still have time in the semester, you can add more on there for that semester and continue on. You don't have to wait until the next semester or anything to continue knocking out classes
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • bmclarkbmclark Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Iris,

I start at WGU 9/1 to wrap up my BS IT/Security. I am planning on continuing on to the MSISA afterwards and would like your take on the MSISA while this thread is active. If you were doing your Graduate degree again would you stick with the WGU MSISA or take it somewhere else?
    @Bmclark - I probably would have chosen a different major to be honest but if I was going for an MSISA all over again, I would have chosen a different school for sure. I don't feel like I've learned anything during this degree so my attention span for my homework tends to be limited. I'll procrastinate a class and then usually pump out the work a week or two after it's due. I probably would be paying attention more if I felt like I was learning something but I've been pretty disappointed. I have two classes and a capstone left but I'm walking away feeling like a paper degree unlike my undergrad degree at WGU where I felt like I was learning a huge amount of information.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I pretty much agree with the above, but at the expense of sounding arrogant, I feel like I already knew a lot of the material, and therefore it wasn't as difficult as someone without a lot of security/IA/auditing experience. it doesn't mean it was of lesser value, just that I already had a lot of the concepts and ideas already down at that level.

...although in hindsight, I would have gone the net management route instead of MSISA; I feel that it would be far, far more beneficial to me (and my career goals) than the MSISA. I am in the middle of my capstone now, and I was just too far along in the program when the net management track came out to switch over.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • bmclarkbmclark Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Cole, @Iris thank you for the replies. I am about a year from making a decision on what to do after my B.S. so I know some things can change. Did you have your CISSP prior to starting the MSISA? Do you feel the MSISA would prep someone for a CISSP self study program? Do you think achieving CISSP certification made the MSISA information seem less beneficial?

It just seems to me like the WGU MSISA is a hard value to pass up in order to achieve a Master's Degree. I was planning on completing the MSISA and becoming an Associate of (ISC)² for CISSP until I have the 5 years experience neccessary for an endorsement.Thank you in advance for the replies! I hope I am not hijacking the thread, I feel like this is still inline with the OP's questions.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I was actually wondering the same thing as bmclark. I found my undergrad to be a rather easy because I already undstood most of the lessons being tought and know as I look forward to the MSISA I already posses lots of time and experience in the security arena as I am thinking both of you do. How much of that is what has got you across the finish line?

There are lots of times when we are just doing it for that piece of paper but I dont think that detracts from the worth.... well I like to think not anyways.
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Bmclark - I probably would have chosen a different major to be honest but if I was going for an MSISA all over again, I would have chosen a different school for sure. I don't feel like I've learned anything during this degree so my attention span for my homework tends to be limited. I'll procrastinate a class and then usually pump out the work a week or two after it's due. I probably would be paying attention more if I felt like I was learning something but I've been pretty disappointed. I have two classes and a capstone left but I'm walking away feeling like a paper degree unlike my undergrad degree at WGU where I felt like I was learning a huge amount of information.

Since you already hold the CISSP, I can understand for you feel. The program does states that a good bit of it is train up for the CISSP. With that being said, if you already have it, looking somewhere else would probably be advised since redundant info will be presented. I do not hold the cert but I am starting the program; I know I will be learning a lot.(but CISSP is on my list!)

I just felt like I needed to add....
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    bmclark wrote: »
    @Cole, @Iris thank you for the replies. I am about a year from making a decision on what to do after my B.S. so I know some things can change. Did you have your CISSP prior to starting the MSISA? Do you feel the MSISA would prep someone for a CISSP self study program? Do you think achieving CISSP certification made the MSISA information seem less beneficial?

It just seems to me like the WGU MSISA is a hard value to pass up in order to achieve a Master's Degree. I was planning on completing the MSISA and becoming an Associate of (ISC)² for CISSP until I have the 5 years experience neccessary for an endorsement.Thank you in advance for the replies! I hope I am not hijacking the thread, I feel like this is still inline with the OP's questions.

I had both CISSP and CISA prior to starting with MSISA, and it helped immensely in the traditional course (not so much for CCENT, but definitely did the the GIAC.) I think there's no question that it is a fantastic value, although I don't know that I would do the MSISA program again, I would have much preferred the NM track, just too far along to basically start over.

I don't know that anyone completing the MSISA program would be able to walk in and take the CISSP. I am sure some could, but even then, the AIO is still the way to go to learn the arcane tidbits that you never use but still get tested on. While it signifies a general knowledge of security (the mile wide aspect) most people still have to learn the test (kind of like teaching the test, if that makes sense.)

Also - keep in mind that your path would almost certainly be shorter than 5 years, I think you would have it down to three, but not sure.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    fcat wrote: »
    Greetings All,

I will be starting the Ms ISA program in September. I will be coming in with the all the require certifications, so I have COV2, FMV2, and FNV2 covered. My hopes is to get through the program in 2 terms. To that end, I want to get a jump on things and have a few question I hope the folks here can answer.

1. Is there a set or recommended order to taking the classes?
    2. Are there classes you found built or complemented another, lending to taking them together or in a set order?
    3. Is there someplace outside of the WGU system to get an idea of what the assessments are for the classes? I would like to get started but don't have access to the WGU student sites yet.
    4. Are there hard requirements on the Capstone (number of pages, references, etc)?

I am excited to get started, but already anxious to get it done.

Thanks in advance.

Just going to respond to your bullet points, as that's all i'm awake enough for right now.

1. They suggest you go in an order, but it's up to you really to choose that path. I moved a lot of my stuff around, such as not doing my capstone at the end etc.
    2. Not really, have to agree with Iris on this one.
    3. If you're confirmed to be starting, you may be able to speak with whoever your mentor is going to be and get access to what you need. This just depends on the mentor.
    4. The capstone isn't that bad, or wasn't for me. Then again I took my undergrad capstone and expanded upon the concepts, included what other minutiae they required and submitted. The oral defense part was a little daunting, until you start doing it, it's really more of an informal presentation and conversation about why you chose to do what you submitted. I ended up close to 70 pages, so it does take some time to write.

The hardest part is the GIAC, which i'm still working up towards. Since work is taking up a lot of my free time, i'm going to have to roll into another term and may end up going with the homegrown test instead. Still considering my options. Good luck on your start, 2 terms isn't unrealistic, I would have done it in 2 without this work project causing issues for me.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.