Options

New gig starting March 11th

biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help here on the forums. I have read a ton of stuff here, which has really helped me define where I want my career to go.

I have some awesome news too. I found out on Monday that as of March 11th I will be the sole Desktop Support Administrator on second shift for the largest hospital in the state of Alabama. This is a drastic change from the 4 short term contracts I have worked over the past 7 months, and I wouldn't have been as motivated to expand my horizons without reading some of the members stories on these forums.

icon_cheers.gif

Thanks again,
Gene

Comments

• Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the gig!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Awesome! Healthcare IT isn't a bad industry to break into by any means.

Is this an increase in pay for you or just an increase in benefits?
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Awesome! Healthcare IT isn't a bad industry to break into by any means.

Is this an increase in pay for you or just an increase in benefits?

Almost a $4.00 per hour increase and I had no benefits on this contract gig at all. I was dumbfounded when I received the benefits book in the mail, it is 38 pages. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Excellent!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    MAPLMAPL Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Gene! One of my goals is to also work in Healthcare IT, preferably for a recognized hospital.

If you don't mind shedding some light, do you have any IT experience in a medical setting? Also, how did you hear about the job and were you referred by anyone? Thanks.
  • Options
    MAPL wrote: »
    Congrats Gene! One of my goals is to also work in Healthcare IT, preferably for a recognized hospital.

If you don't mind shedding some light, do you have any IT experience in a medical setting? Also, how did you hear about the job and were you referred by anyone? Thanks.

I have a bit of experience in Healthcare IT. I worked for a contracted help desk to HCR Manorcare nursing homes around 2005-2007 time frame. I remember having to take a HIPA and a Sarbanes-Oxley training class while there, but nothing since.

I was referred for the position by a staffing firm out of Atlanta, GA., named Matrix Resources. The do a lot of the staffing for hospitals here in Birmingham, and I am pretty sure they could set you up with an office close to you if you want to contact them. My recruiters name was Robert Bouchard, feel free to drop my name if you call him.
    I also had an advantage over others as one of the SQL admins for the hospital is a friend from church and gave me a good recommendation. I'm looking forward to learning more about HealthCare IT, and may even change my future education plans to reflect this. For now, I just plan on busting my hump and hopefully transferring to one of the server admin teams by the end of the year.

Gene
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats and good luck.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Great, congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    galedgaled Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I work in a hospital in Maryland and it is not bad at all really. I do desktop support as well.