Certification Questions... NOt what your thinking :-)

goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
On the Exam does Cisco allow you to still use the "?" this has helped me tremendously learn the CLI icon_confused.gif:

I'm starting to hear some testing centers do not use scrap paper. Instead they give you clear overhead projector sheet with an erasable marker and erasericon_confused.gif:

Is it better to use testing centers at the public University/Community College or am I better off testing at a for profit Center like Ecpi.

hmm... I guest that it for now.
The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs

Comments

• mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I asked the same question awhile back about the CLI during the exam and I was told the "?" is still allowed during the exam. The exam centers give you a white board. No paper of any kind.

As for what test center to use that's up to you.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • MichaelPetermanMichaelPeterman Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can use the "?"
    sometimes some commands won't be allowed like "show run" because they want you to use different commands to trouble shoot instead of just that one.
    At the testing center I used they gave me laminated sheets to right on with erase markers, during the starting 20 min tutorial thing I wrote my ultimate subnet chart
    another thing to keep in mind during a Cisco test... you can't go back! (so be sure to read question and answers carefully)
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank! There are 3 test center with in 7 miles of my present location.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As to your testing center question it all depends on how quickly you wish to take the test. For example a community college or university will a have nicer setup, newer computers, and a professional serious environment. Downside is you might not be able to schedule an appointment for two weeks.

As for profit test centers. The one I've used is an immigration office and notary and who knows what else. It's not professional, the computers were all old but worked but the room was really cramped but empty of people.

I go there because if I wanted I could walk in there right now and take the INCD1. The convenience is worth it vs the nicer environment.

Short answer the main difference is convenience vs a nicer test center environment.
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    ? is always allowed but be aware that a lot of testing sites outside of the us tend to have problems with their keyboards working right with the examsoftware, which is kinda annoying.

at my testing site they give out these eraseable plastic sheets and a marker but it works fine, just ask for 2 or 3 of em if you need to write a lot.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tested in January at a testing center. No issues... they provided a plastic sheet and a couple of dry erase markers. the "?" worked as we well as abbreviated commands. I didn't feel I was limited by any commands at the time...

Hope this helps.
    Hatch
  • notheorynotheory Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What about the traceroute command? It wasn't available in the Boson exams I took. It was available but it was all stard out ****** to be exact.
  • Bose4meBose4me Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I took my net+ exam, I was also given a laminated sheet with marker and eraser. I always wonder if they'll give you more sheets if needed or if you're stuck with just one. I also wonder what'll happen if the marker was to go dry, do you raise your hand as if you're in a classroom setting or are you allowed to leave your workstation.

I can't comment about using the ? as I've yet sat that exam. As far as the testing center, I've only used the local community college where it's nice and clean and where they can watch you thru the glass table your workstation sits on. I've heard of others taking exams at smaller facilities and complain about having to sit in squeaky chairs and walk on not so clean carpet.
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    As stated above, the "?" command does work and do all other commands. The only exceptions are in certain scenarios, certain cmds will not work. They will tell you beforehand I believe. for example one question may present itself as: solve question A, show run is disabled for this question.

J
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    draught wrote: »
    For example a community college or university will a have nicer setup, newer computers, and a professional serious environment.

This has been the exact opposite from my experience.