Options

WGU - First Semester Cert Cram Question

ToomsTooms Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am enrolling in BS:IT @ WGU to complete a 4-year degree and probably a masters also. I have an AAS in networking now, but no certs other than advanced Juniper routing certs that are not covered by WGU.

All of these certs I could go sit and pass in one day. My question is, should I wait until i start @ WGU and blow through them to save money? I've read through the study guides for these and they are all extremely easy for me to understand. I've got 15 years of experience in the industry and am a design network engineer for a large network covering 200,000 users & servers. I was going to go pay for them myself and take all the exams next week, but from reading around on here all those fees may be covered by the WGU semester fee.

A+ Essentials and Practical Application exams
Network+
Security+
Project+

Comments

• Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am in a similar situation. I start next month at WGU but I am ready to take the Net+ and CCENT now.
    Idk if I wanna wait. The money isn't a big deal to me...
    If you think you can easily remember everything for your exams then I suggest waiting. I'm worried ill forget
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Yes, WGU will pay the exam fees for you so if you can knock out the exams immediately, why not save yourself about $1k in exam fees? CompTIA exams are not cheap
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    ^ This.

WGU probably won't let you take them all in one day. But what does it matter---your term is 6 months and if you passed all of them in a week the outcome is the same. Take them on WGU's dime and invest your 1k in other endeavors.