How do you go about explaining to your friends,family and significant others what you

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
do for a living? Do you just say "I'm in IT", or do you go specifically in "IT Support, Networking, Programming" or do you go all out and explain concepts you work with in which people will never fully grasp but take advantage of every day of their lives icon_surprised.gif
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just say i'm in IT and if they ask what I do, then I get into details lol
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • RanMicRanMic Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just say IT. Then if they ask specifics, then I elaborate. Not to be mean but most of them wouldn’t understand it anyway.....or not care.
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    I work for a telecom/ISP company, my parents tell everyone I work for the phone company or I am a "phone man". I am a network engineer who rarely ever touches a phone ;) I always just say IT.
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    If you say you work in IT you get asked to fix peoples PC.
    If you say you manage phone systems people ask you to look at their land lines

I say IT Comms...
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I usually just say IT. When people ask specifically I'll got into slight more detail. But I pretty much just say I turn nerd nobs all day.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Thats my next t-shirt - I turn nerd nobs all day.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I drive a garbage truck. Generally, no one is going to seek free advice from the guy that drives a garbage truck.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think I might start using that one blargoe.

Usually just say I make the internet work.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually say I'm in IT and its boring. I love it, but I have seen others eyes glare over as I explain networking..so I don't do that anymore.
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    "I'm a computer geek", usually followed by, "No, not PCs, I work on networks and servers"
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "Remember when your Internet/favorite website went down? I was the guy who tripped over the cable and caused the outage."
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I do magic. I make money magically appear. ;) I usually say I'm a network engineer. No one really cares to ask more questions. They usually say something flattering involving looks and brains or something along those lines and that ends it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I tell them I work with computers and I've learned to just say no at times, especially when a niece or nephew asks me to fix their laptop for the gazillionth time.
  • Chard26Chard26 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tell people that im in IT and that i work on enterprise networks and security, and when they ask me to fix their PC / Laptop i tell them that I only use my PC at work as a tool and i don't know how to fix desktops :D
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "I watch progress bars for a living."
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not at all lol ..

I have tried .. When we registered for our wedding we were asked independently what we do for a living .. My Fiancée made the woman laugh as she had no idea what to answer - initially she said "IT Stuff" - but apparently there isn't a tick box for that :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I said "IT" for awhile and decided that I worked too hard to get to where I'm at to be that generic! I decided that I don't care if they don't know what it means, now I say "Network Engineer" which seems to stop any further questions. Except the other day while I was at the doctor... Me, "I'm a network engineer". Doctor, "So, do you know of any software that I can make sure my son is doing his schoolwork on the computer?" Me, "..."
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I mention IT then you can be sure that the next question is about their broken PC - you just can't win.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    I work for the state.

"Oh so you don't do anything"

Exactly.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I just say I do magic. I have come to realize that very few people have any idea of what you're talking about if you say sys admin or something like that. And like everyone said I try to stay out of saying IT because everyone wants you to fix their PCs.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I try not to say "I work in IT". As others have mentioned - usually ends up with "Oh, you fix computers...well mine does such and such".

Yes, I fix complex server and network issues. They really have a lot in common with your DVD tray that won't open...not.
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just tell people I work in IT. If they want to make small talk I might say more specifically what I do. But most people don't really want to know about IT, they are just making small talk. Kind of like "hows the weather?" its more of a talking point. I don't get in to all that I do because I don't want to lose them in the conversation. Not that I talk above them or over their heads. I prefer to listen to how boring their jobs are and think to myself how blessed I am I don't work as a pencil pusher.

I do like that most of the network people want to be excluded from IT or any type of computer reference.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I tell everyone who asks that I'm a "computer plumber" They usually leave me a lone after hearing that lol
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    With my experience, the Steel industry and the IT industry are the same when it comes to the "What do you do for a living?" question. When I worked in the Steel industry, I manufactured and fabricated reinforcing steel. I get the exact same response when I say now that I am an Operations Analyst: "What does that mean?"

So usually, I just say that I work with computers.
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found that simply saying that I was in school for Computers resulted in questions asking me if I could fix their computer..... couldn't imagine how bad it'll be once I'm making a decent living for myself in this field -_-
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i say i work with computers.
    and then get asked how to fix random computer problems
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    I stop saying "IT" , I didn't spend too much time and money so I can be generalized. Network Engineer or I normally say the company name which is an IT company.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To IT people: "I do a lot."
    To everyone else: "I'm a computer guy."
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    "Eh, I work with computers."