Active Directory

kylepossiblekylepossible Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Was skimming through some jobs on CL and saw that a lot required use/knowledge of Active Directory? Is there a specific place/book people recommend where i could learn about this, Is knowing AD required in any Certs? To be honest i never even heard of it until i googled it since it was in so many posts.

Comments

• aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Not sure where to begin. Active Directory is a critical component of Windows Server. I could go on and on about what it does but it's just best to grab some Windows Server books and start reading. Many of the Microsoft certifications require in depth knowledge of AD. MSCE for example.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Active Directory is covered extensively in two of Microsoft's MCSA tracks, as well as several of their new MCSE paths. It's a huge topic, and it covers just about everything and anything to do with deploying, maintaining, and managing Microsoft technologies in the enterprise.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a huge part of any Windows-based organization. It's essentially a database that holds everything a Windows domain would need to store.

Not a bad intro:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTpbQkW3kj4
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Qord nice work on the link to the AD high level overview.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    AD is valuable, but a perishable skill if you never use it in your job/organization.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Qord wrote: »
    It's a huge part of any Windows-based organization. It's essentially a database that holds everything a Windows domain would need to store.

Not a bad intro:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTpbQkW3kj4

Great intro, thanks!
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Just want to add that "Active Directory knowledge" can mean anything from a password reset monkey to someone specializing in forest consolidation/migration. It is important to understand what a specific role requires. As usual, the person writing the job description may have no idea what they are talking about.

Having said that, AD is an essential skill is you want to go anywhere in the Windows world.

Here's another basic video I recommend: what is Active Directory? - YouTube
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ad is a big part of the linux world as well.
  • QuantumKnightQuantumKnight Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm glad someone brought this topic up. I've been with my position for about 6 months working with Active Directory and Unix. How long should one stay in this area before looking for a systems admin, unix admin, or network admin job? Ignoring certifications since one can obtain those and just job experience alone?
  • vayzevayze Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WiseWun wrote: »
    Great intro, thanks!
    thank you for this as well
  • xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Great intro videos thanks!