who here actuallyl enjoys working in IT? and what are your hobbies?

gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
Ill start of the thread by saying that I dont enjoy working in IT. I love technology and I am a creative person but this level of IT that im in has caused me to develop a great level of disdain for IT. I do however enjoy when it's time to get off work and go work on some music, edit some footage on final cut pro x and photography. How about you guys.. Do your hobbies keep you sane..
WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love working in IT and my hobbies are mostly IT related as well. I do however start hating my after about 2-6 months in the same company. Usually because of politics / management / boredom / doing overqualified work such as password ninja tasks.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like working in IT, my job keeps me interested. Perhaps it's time for you to look for another job, sometimes a change of pace and environment is all you need to freshen things up. It's just human nature. Maybe make a living out of photography if that's what you like doing, life's too short to not do what you like.

I'm into gardening and landscaping, having bought a new house 2 years ago I have lots to do. I unleash my creative flair around the house and always try out new things. My missus has also come up with this idea of doing something new every weekend, something we havent done before. Last weekend it was camping overnight at a awesome beach (not many people know about it, which is great), this weekend we are off to the Moomba festival. Always looking forward to something new.

I'm also intending to start training MMA to keep fit and acquire some street skills. You've got to keep making changes I reckon.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Love IT, Hobbies are IT ;) I also like cycling, and family stuff, seeing mates, British touring car, F1.

Now I am a Dad, drink and drugs are behind me, but still enjoy a good night out once in a while.

I relised one thing, any job is boring and depressing if you are not in control of it and not able to determine the outcome. Every day for me is different, and always new toys to play with. I Dip a finger in all the IT pies I want, and get to bath in networks as much as i need to get my fix..
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love IT and I love coming to work every day. It's a lot to do with where you work and it really helps if you love the work you do. The role that I am currently in is a perfect match for my skillset yet still challenges me every day.

My hobbies would be anything with my wife/kids, Jeeping (4x4ing), working on cars, construction/carpentry, anything to do with computers and studying. I do not drink or smoke.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thoroughly enjoy working in IT. Hobbies include Church activities, fishing, skeet shooting, building elaborate thomas the train sets and massive lego towers, gardening.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'd say that there are lots of things I like about working in IT. It's all about working with interesting technologies for me so when I'm knee deep in Hyper-V/XenServer/vSphere, CloudStack and Exchange 2010/2013 I'm pretty happy. When I'm roped into cleaning up viruses, re-engineering complex OU structures and working on SharePoint issues I really find myself disliking IT. Work politics and drama are one of the highest stress points though, unfortunately. To maintain sanity I work on my own personal programming and artistic projects at home and go out running. Love my Garmin and Vibrams!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Have been doing IT at a professional level since 1998 and love it. There have been some jobs better than others but I always took action when I didn't feel pleased with something. Early in my career I used to to IT gigs on the side but found it draining so now I invest my spare time in hobbies such as firearms, photography, home improvement, and cars.

I always believe that you should do something that you love. Otherwise, you can become miserable real fast. That is what I do IT. The day I stop loving it and having fun, I'll look for something else. Life is short.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Been in IT numerous years, and of course, there are things I like and dislike about it. Like others have said, a lot of the time its the workplace politics that make things you truly could enjoy, unbearable. You have to find a happy medium.

As far as hobbies go, Im big into photography, hiking, reading.
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Essendon wrote: »
    I like working in IT, my job keeps me interested. Perhaps it's time for you to look for another job, sometimes a change of pace and environment is all you need to freshen things up. It's just human nature. Maybe make a living out of photography if that's what you like doing, life's too short to not do what you like.

I'm into gardening and landscaping, having bought a new house 2 years ago I have lots to do. I unleash my creative flair around the house and always try out new things. My missus has also come up with this idea of doing something new every weekend, something we havent done before. Last weekend it was camping overnight at a awesome beach (not many people know about it, which is great), this weekend we are off to the Moomba festival. Always looking forward to something new.

I'm also intending to start training MMA to keep fit and acquire some street skills. You've got to keep making changes I reckon.

Ive been looking but i haven't had much bites. been at a entry level position for the past 8 years. No raise since '08. Thought i finally had a break in my career when my old boss resigned and everyone thought I wouldve gotten his position because I was pursuing my degree in IT. Nope !!! Presidents son became my new boss. Definately has not been a pleasant experience. I spend more time fielding his 30+ emails a day to me, Making sure the weekly backup log is complete, deactivating FOBs, cleaning server room, ordering toner, and keeping inventory up to date then doing actually real technical IT work. So technically I went from IT support to IT admin. lol ...

On a side note. I m defiantely going to try to complete my last 20 courses at WGU this semester and be out.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    8 years, damn man, either you like the place or are plain lazy to put it bluntly. In 8 years if all you've done is just that, you've wasted your time. Apply for new jobs, work on a cert or two (advanced ones, not these crappy comptia certs - useless if your beyond entry-level) and get the eff outa there before you go insane.

DO NOT wait for things to happen themselves, make them happen. You seem to be doing the former which is never a good thing.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would love to work in IT! :) Currently doing an internship and I am enjoying it - my main job is in law enforcement.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You will probably find a disproportionate number of people that actually enjoy working in IT by asking here. Most people that post here enjoy IT and are looking to further their career in IT. Most people that do not enjoy the IT work probably don't spend their free time posting on forums that revolve around it!

I love what I do. It's interesting and pays well. Great combination for a career.

Hobbies outside of my career are sports, biking, working with my dog, collecting and breeding tarantulas.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey there I enjoy the challenge of working in I.T currently I do not have any certs :) I started off on helpdesk and worked my way up to my current job. Been in the I.T game now for about 7 years maybe I should actually do some study and get some certs under my belt. I'm probably going to dust off my CV soon and look for a new job my current position i'm not really enjoying and I need a new challenge.

I am very indecisive when it comes to studying but after much inner conflict I have decided that my passion is Linux and Open Source technologies and that is the path I intend to go down.

Outside of work I am currently teaching myself Linux currently starting with working my way through the BASH shell and learning basic shell scripting I then am going to probably use Ubuntu Server as my platform and become a server deployment ninja :) Thinking of actually setting up a blog to document everything I learn as a future resource.

Cert wise yeah I could probably sit and smash the A+ tommorow with no study maybe I should get my ass in gear lol :)

Don't feel disheartened if you feel stuck in a rut yes I currently am not spending my evening glued to text books studying maybe I should. Alot of people on here are very dedicated and I salute them :) currently my job is pretty damm boring but it pays the bills and it's a job Things could be worse I could be flipping burgers for a living :)

Everyone has potential and everyday is a opportunity to better yourself with myself I made the mistake in the past of trying to bite off more than I could chew with the Linux stuff and became burnt out and very frustrated. By breaking everything down into baby steps taking it back to basics I am building a foundation and the information is sticking. Don't make the mistake of comparing yourself to others either and becoming disheartened.

Outside of work I try and lead a active live I run home from work everyday I find this helps keep me sane :) and is a way of getting all the politics and crap out your system. I enjoy computer games although this has toned down alot recently ( went from a couple hours per evening to couple hours per week)

I enjoy learning about Linux and Open Source technologies so I read alot of books, Lab and take notes

I am also a dad so spending quality time with my little boy is something I enjoy.

Dust that CV off and get it out there onwards!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I love IT and sometimes I stop to think how great it is that people pay me a decent salary for a job that I love so much that I would pay THEM to do if I had to icon_lol.gif As far as hobbies are concerned they do give me a distraction and a lot of relaxation - I have been into martial arts since I was 8-9 years old and I lift weights every day. Heaven as I see it is a gym packed with computers and network devices icon_lol.gif
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Essendon wrote: »
    8 years, damn man, either you like the place or are plain lazy to put it bluntly. In 8 years if all you've done is just that, you've wasted your time. Apply for new jobs, work on a cert or two (advanced ones, not these crappy comptia certs - useless if your beyond entry-level) and get the eff outa there before you go insane.

DO NOT wait for things to happen themselves, make them happen. You seem to be doing the former which is never a good thing.
    def not admittedly I was complacent prior to the last two years. My goal is get my degree before I leave and my CCNA. that's this years goals. Im working hard to get there too....

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I tend to dislike it, but as someone said I think it's time for a change of pace. All the problems are the same and with no challenge I just get lazy. I tend to just chill on weekends and hangout with friends. I enjoy reading none technical things so I do that on the train to and from work to help relax a bit. I know when I do study in my off time, I like looking at security related topics so I'm hoping if I do it every day that will get me going. If not, then I might go back and become a paramedic. I enjoy being an EMT, so kicking it up to the next level seems to make sense (even though the money isn't great).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I don't work in IT but I love it. I also love auto sports (huge bmw fan - had 9 of them) and martial arts and sports (trained TKD for 10 years, kick boxing for 3 years and now boxing for 2 years) but interestingly enough I never managed to make a career out of it. I'm also very much into new age/spiritual/esotheric/occult-type of stuff. I very much enjoy nature and outdoors and if I could do one thing in life on Earth I really wanted, it would be living off-grid in a remote place in the mountains far away from civilization. History is something I also very much enjoy.
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have yet to find "the" company to work for. Actually, I take that back... I have yet to find "the" company with "the" career that I want. I worked with a company for awhile that I absolutely loved working in IT at... Man, I can't believe it now but I was actually EXCITED to do night work for cutovers at that company. I couldn't stay because I outgrew the position and the company, oddly enough. There was no more experience to be had for me there and so I had to move on.

I'm now at a company where the benefits to being here outweigh me actually LOVING my job. I won't say that I love it, or that I'm excited to go to work every day like i used to. But, it's not like I hate going into work each day and I am challenged in my job.

Like others have said, (and I have and am experiencing this right now) it really comes down to where you work. I'm currently being patient in hopes that my current place will become that perfect balance. But if not, SHABAM I'm outta here, like said previously: Life is too short.

All that aside... If I could do anything for a job, I would probably be a carpenter/welder making furniture and metal artwork. Have ever done anything related to that before? No. :D
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I do enjoy working in IT a lot but at the same time try to maintain a positive life-work balance. Honestly though not working or not being challenged drives me more insane.

I think for myself it all comes down to being mentally stimulated and challenged.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Generally speaking, I would prefer not to work at all. icon_lol.gif
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I definitely love working in IT - I really enjoy the challenge, the creativeness, and learning about new technology. My hobbies are chess, taking care of the 9 month old son, and learning about investing - I want to have a second career to figure out how to automate a trading strategy. :)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My passion is uplifting others and helping them reach their full potential. This website allows me to provide the encouragement and mentorship I love to provide.

IT is fun and it provides a paycheck, but conversing to me is more fun. Although writing formulas in Excel can be a lot of fun!
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I enjoy working in IT and I enjoy my job. I got sick of working in call centers after a few months but now that I work in a data center with linux servers and other cool stuff I don't have to dread coming into work.
  • RanMicRanMic Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used to love it, but lately it's become something that I do that provides a nice living for myself and my family. I appreciate my job and all I have, but I've started thinking of moving to the training side lately. As far as a hobbie, playing sports and watching sports is my escape......plus being with my family.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    It enjoy IT and it's pretty much all I've worked minus some summer jobs after high school. I love IT related stuff and projects at home but my wife's a personal trainer so she keeps my sorry butt in shape, hikes, camping, and all that jazz also
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Although writing formulas in Excel can be a lot of fun!

Ahh yes many a happy day I have spent passing the hours in excel, nothing else is quite hits the spot like it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love IT, i was getting bored unitl i switched to management for reason i enjoy that a little more but anyways i still need the technical part. My hobbies are soccer, karate, judo and meet different places sometimes when i have some time off i just wake up and drive to a beach i don't know alone just for fun, i get to the beach do some body board if possible or just walk around and take pictures then i party at night and go back home next day.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love working in IT. Every day is a new and interesting challenge. Why would I do anything else? Given how rapidly technology changes, I doubt the day will come when I know everything and become bored. :)
  • nkillgorenkillgore Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You know, I was really unhappy in my last job. I don't think I realized just how unhappy I was until I left. I thought maybe I just didn't like IT any more, but now I realize that it was the office politics and general laziness of everyone around me that was upsetting. Get everything you can out of your current employer (training, experience, etc.), and if you don't like them, LEAVE.

I recently had to look at a bunch of resumes, and someone who has spent 8 years in the same position without really doing anything raises several questions (e.g. Do they suck at their job? Are they lazy? ... you get the point). You can't sit still for too long in this industry, or the world will pass you by.

And to answer your question, I really enjoy my new position. I like coming in to work every day. I get to play with all kinds of fun new toys on a regular basis.
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    def not admittedly I was complacent prior to the last two years. My goal is get my degree before I leave and my CCNA. that's this years goals. Im working hard to get there too....

I would say since you have a number of classes before you graduate, go ahead and get CCENT/NA and find a networking job (if that is what you want to do.) just my .02 (maybe worth less lol.)

to answer the original posting, my hobbies are

being a 133T poser (lol), martial arts (TKD), martial arts tricking (google it, then youtube backside 900 tutorial, that's me :))
    videogames as of late, and military (mandatory hobby)
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!