Options

70-410

I took 70-410 exam this morning and passed quite easily with a 968. Used a combination of labs, MS Press book, and CBT Nuggets videos. For those working in AD environments for some time this one is basically review and not a ton of new information over 2008 exams. I only studied over the course of a week for it after getting my HP AIS Networking certification last week. 70-411 and 70-412 are up next. If I can spend 2-3 weeks per cert I'll be moving at an awesome pace.

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass! I'm thinking of going this route too, taking the individual exams instead of the upgrade exam. Didn't feel I learnt enough with the 2008 upgrade exam. How is the new MS Press book? You used the 410 book instead of the training guide or both?
  • Options
    hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    As far as the book went, I only did the Exam Reference guide by MS Press. I was glad to see that it was available on my Kindle and was a few bucks cheaper than the physical book. Personally the individual exams are easier to take rather than the upgrades because the focus on subject matter is across a narrower field. Then again I found this test extremely easy, I could have just read the book and not watched any of the CBT Nuggets videos. However, now that may attention is moving on to the 70-411 exam I'm finding very little resources for it, I'm not seeing any books that are available yet. The exam ref won't be out till spring, "Exam 70-411 Administering Windows Server 2012 (Microsoft Official Academic Course Series)" will be out later this month but it's over $100. I might watch some videos and technet then take a second shot and wing it.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great score and thanks for the review! I may take a stab at this before second shot goes away. Was the test all multiple choice or did it have scenarios, testlets and the like? Good luck with the 411!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Everything was multiple guess with a couple hotspot/drag and drop. There wasn't any scenarios ect. If you have a decent understanding of AD and remember that Microsoft wants everything to be performed through the Server Manager then you're golden on this test. There wasn't a lot of PowerShell related questions although that will be more prevalent with later exams.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks once again!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats hanakuin, nice score!

I have a question about the MS Press book -
    I was reading a review and it was stated that the MS Press book did not have a lot of lab exercises in it. Did you find that to be the case?
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    The MS Press book felt like a true textbook. There was very little as far as labs go. This was the Exam Ref guide that I used: ISBN-10: 0735673160. The Training Guide: ISBN-10: 0735673101 should have more lab exercises in it, but I did not use it. The Exam Ref was plenty for me and I have several 2012 real-world deployments under my belt already - that experience was the most valuable asset in helping me pass this exam.
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hanakuin wrote: »
    As far as the book went, I only did the Exam Reference guide by MS Press. I was glad to see that it was available on my Kindle and was a few bucks cheaper than the physical book. Personally the individual exams are easier to take rather than the upgrades because the focus on subject matter is across a narrower field. Then again I found this test extremely easy, I could have just read the book and not watched any of the CBT Nuggets videos. However, now that may attention is moving on to the 70-411 exam I'm finding very little resources for it, I'm not seeing any books that are available yet. The exam ref won't be out till spring, "Exam 70-411 Administering Windows Server 2012 (Microsoft Official Academic Course Series)" will be out later this month but it's over $100. I might watch some videos and technet then take a second shot and wing it.

Congrats on your pass and thanks for sharing your experience. I agree that for 70-411/412 there arent many resources available. Im studying for 70-410 slowly to adapt to the new interfaces and features on Server 2012. I think I will be taking the test on April, with the goal of having the MCSA 2012 by Christmas.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    Personally, I'm fast tracking the 411/412 as quickly as possible. Hoping to have MCSE finished sometime this summer. I'm currently sitting on a pile of second shot vouchers that expire in 6-7 weeks and I have every intention to using that to my advantage. I am hoping that studying the 70-417 book with CBT Nuggets and labs will take care of the lack of 411 and 412 material. By the way on Amazon ISBN-10: 0735673047 "Exam Ref 70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server® 2012" has a 15% off coupon.