Does it get easier?

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
Hey all,

Just curious if you guys think it gets easier after you hit your first "big" certification goal. I feel like I can really take off if I can just mount my particular "wall" so to speak. Try, try again I suppose?

Comments

• f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey man, I think it definitely comes down to figuring out what "works" for you. Everyone has their own strategy for achieving a goal (certifications in this situation). Some of us are self-study, some enjoy in class training, some like CBT. And that's just the manner in which you learn.

For me, the best way to get to my goal is to schedule the exam and THEN start studying. I feel like it really kick starts my motivation because then it's official and you can't just keep putting it off.

I'm not sure what part you are referring to as far as the hard part. It could be the studying itself, or taking the tests, or even having the motivation to take the test/study. That's what I can give you based on what info I have :)
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes I think once you hit that first 'big' goal you realize that you can do it. Plus the experience of studying for each cert helps with the next.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Once the first goal is hit, the second one looms in the distance. This cert game is a perpetual, never ending process really. This said, if you have a certain cert path, the second builds on the first, the third on the second and so on.

I find I slack off when I pass a cert and keep putting the second one off. Best way around this problem is to schedule the next one, this gives me a deadline to work towards and keeps me motivated.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I am starting to think I am quite lazy. icon_thumright.gif
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to say it won't get easier but it will be more rewarding. I always thought it would be easier but each test seems harder than the last. I thought A+ was hard until I did the MSDST which was hard until I did the MCITP: EST which was hard until I did the MCSE which was hard until I did the VCP5. I took a long break then and am now scrambling to catch up to server stuff and it just keeps going.

Once you get the bug you can keep it up but I wouldn't ever say my path has been easy. It all depends on what you want out of it. I've never regretted it. Well except for the Server+, I don't know why I wasted the money there!
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You will get to the point where it's 'only' a 600 page book and its not a big deal. Learning is a skill that you develop through practice just like any other.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    * Book size: Build up your reading, If you haven't read an 800 page technical book before try find something smaller (200-300 pages) that you will enjoy and boost your confidence and get use too reading a lot of technical content.

* Pace yourself: Not sure if it's just me, But I have found it easier to split up my reading into portion sized chunks and committing to no less or more (e.x. 600 pages in 30 days @ 20 pages a day) Once I have done the 20 pages in the day I will stop, review my notes then stop studying. I think people get way too eager and try knock out 50-100 pages and rapidly burnout. If I do less than I feel I want to (20 pages, where I could knock out 50) I find the next day I'm way more eager to get back into it, Where before I would find I would resent having to do a marathon again.

* Does it get easier?: As a cyclist and club racer (I have yet to take a Cert Exam yet) I found that it never got easier, I just got faster. So I would say it translates to something of, If you keep progressing onto harder topics, They will not get easier but you will have foundations set in place to help you achieve and past confidence and experience to find your way. Unless your a CCIE and doing CCNA's again, you always want to be moving forward.
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I think it's a lot like learning math in school. Every step is harder and more complicated than the last, but if you build a foundation and understand the basics you will be able to progress and eventually you will look back and have a hard time believing that what are now simple tasks were once seemingly insurmountable.

I don't know if this helps you or scares you.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    It gets easier. In a couple of years you will be taking beta exams on new products with no official study material, taking tests with little or no study time, or taking 2 tests a day just to up the degree of difficulty enough that you get that same rush of accomplishment.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Every exam I have taken has been harder than the last. And it doesn't seem like there is any end in sight. That being said...each accomplishment gives you the confidence to push a little further. Be careful though...certs can be addictive.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I appreciate the input. I tend to have waves of success then the periodic lull period where I question if I am the only one facing some of these seemingly self created issues. Glad to see that I am not alone. I am also glad to see that perhaps "easy" wasn't the correct word to use. If it were easy, there would be no satisfaction, right?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yep, if it's easy it aint worth it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com