Options

which certification? keep chopping changing my mind

bugsbugs Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Im looking at getting my first certs under my belt (been a long time coming) and have narrowed it down to two very different certs, either Cisco CCNA or MCITP (SQL) eventually leading to MCDBA.

both have their pro's and cons the CISCO feels much more natural to me and I find it much easier going (partly cause iv worked in IT support for the last 10 years), I have done a few practice tests and i`m getting just under half marks and im sure with a little reading I can up that score. the job situation at the end of it though is more likely to be network engineer type role and i`d really like to keep my career 9 - 5.

The SQL thing is something iv dabbled in and always had an interest in but I find it much harder going, and definately don't find it easy, but DBA's fit into the 9 - 5 role much easier.

Is there anything else I should consider, or just thoughts and opinions please?

Comments

• Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go with the Cisco mate, It's a long path and the best thing to do is start with the first step. Especially since those Microsoft certs are dated so quickly.
  • Options
    NetworkDropoutNetworkDropout Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have both, CCNA and MCITP. Dontstop is right about going the CCNA way. It will be much more valuable in the long run. If anything do the CCNA first then jump on the MCITP ones. I did it the other way around, MCITP then CCNA. I found the CCNA so much more useful over the MS ones. But thats just me :)
  • Options
    JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    +1 for what fits your needs/wants more. Make yourself happy doing what you like.

J
  • Options
    dwadwa Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    why not both?
    you have more opportunities to find a job ... just my opinion
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    bugs wrote: »
    Is there anything else I should consider, or just thoughts and opinions please?

The determining factor for which IT path you take is making sure you stay in a 9-5? I'd reconsider the IT field in general if I were you. It comes across as you don't enjoy IT, you just need a job that pays consistently. At the very least I'd take a step back and figure out what I enjoy doing the most because even if you do only work 9-5 you're still spending a significant amount of your life in the work place. Your current approach is very similar to those that chase a career field because they presume it's a guaranteed 150k salary. I understand your reasoning for the 9-5 might be because you value family/personal time but I feel that work life balance depends more on the company rather than the field you're in.

Sticking to your main point, I'd start with CCNA. Even if you don't go into networking specifically it is an outstanding knowledge base to have and will open doors for you.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for the A+. Companies are always wanting people who can repair computers, so you'll always have something to fall back on if nothing else works out.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNA all the way. Most DBA's don't have those certifications, however A LOT of networking professionals have Cisco certifications. The CCNA is a big deal.