Funny Job "Benefit"

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
Point #7 - surely worth moving for :p

307yl2a.jpg
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm asking for a chauffeur on my next job!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Who wouldn't want regular lunch with their relationship manager? Um yeah somehow I think I'd steer clear of that!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    For 600 Euros a day, sign me up!

Lunch with relationship manager wouldn't be so bad. Finallly have someone to eat lunch with...
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    Whoa didn't even notice that! That's close to $4000 usd a week! How is that possible?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Whoa didn't even notice that! That's close to $4000 usd a week! How is that possible?

That's reasonable for virtualization guy/gal. I assume cost of living there is way out there.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    For 600 Euros a day, sign me up!

Lunch with relationship manager wouldn't be so bad. Finallly have someone to eat lunch with...
    Not Euros - British Pounds.
    the_Grinch wrote: »

$4500 ...

Contractor jobs here in Central London, especially senior IT staff is around £350-400 per day ... I have seen some VMware Architects for £450-500

Contracting from the UK overseas gets you that sort of money. Bear in mind - being a contractor here in the UK means you are likely to have your own limited company. If you are permanent employee - once you take all the benefits, sick pay, holiday / vacation etc., into consideration, you aren't much cheaper. But you are a lot easier to get rid off when you are a contractor :)

Now £600 per day is not much if you consider that you still pay tax in the UK but you are abroad so on top of your England based life you still have to pay for accomodation / transport and food in Swizerland ... for almost a year ... You basically pay for two lifes :)

Oh, and the cost of living is astromonical in Basel .. worse than London / New York
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Not Euros - British Pounds.

$4500 ...

Contractor jobs here in Central London, especially senior IT staff is around £350-400 per day ... I have seen some VMware Architects for £450-500

Contracting from the UK overseas gets you that sort of money. Bear in mind - being a contractor here in the UK means you are likely to have your own limited company. If you are permanent employee - once you take all the benefits, sick pay, holiday / vacation etc., into consideration, you aren't much cheaper. But you are a lot easier to get rid off when you are a contractor :)

Now £600 per day is not much if you consider that you still pay tax in the UK but you are abroad so on top of your England based life you still have to pay for accomodation / transport and food in Swizerland ... for almost a year ... You basically pay for two lifes :)

If you're telling me that people can't live comfortably on 900 USD a day, I'm calling shenanigans.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I don't think he was saying you couldn't live comfortably, but ones comfort zone is pretty subjective. I believe all he's saying is that isn't as much as it seems to others when the cost of living is considerably higher. 4500x52 = 234k. Yea, that's a nice chunk of change. That's all pretax, and what's the tax rate over there? He said it costs more than living in NY for example. Can you live cheap in NY, sure if you want to live in the ghetto.

To me, it doesn't look like much more than any other nice paying job somewhere that has a decent salary/cost of living ratio.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    If you're telling me that people can't live comfortably on 900 USD a day, I'm calling shenanigans.

as kgb says - it is not that easy .... You clearly haven't read all posts. For this money you have to have your own company - it is a contract position in a different country, you have to pay tax / your own salary etc. and you have to pay for accomodation and whatnot - in BOTH countries - your home country and country you temporarily live in, Swizerland in this case.

When you check cost of living for example London compared to Basel then you'll notice a difference between 38% increase for a small meal all the way up to 95% for rent and 180% for groceries. Since you have to pay for transport too. 1km of taxi in New York (0.6 miles) is around $1.24 in New York but $8 in Basel ...

So call it shenanigans if you wish :)
  • Options
    Whoa I see your point now, making that type of cash in my area would allow me to live like a king :) But as you said, if the cost of living is like London/New York, you're making about what I make now when all is said and done.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff