Options

Passed 70-642 (Second Try)

Hi all,
Finally passed 70-642 after failing miserably with a 550 in November. Here is what I used to study

Sybex Book (Decent, but labs were better than the material)
Labsim
CBT Nuggets
Microsoft Technet
Transcender

I will say basically all forms of studying sucked, after studying for over 200 hours I felt I was ready the first time but was shocked at the material and how stupid the questions were. I ended up basically doing 2 to 3 hours a night of labbing and using Transcender only to get the specific technet pages related to the exam. I despise Microsoft tests because of how asinine their questions are. As an instructor at a Microsoft certified facility I need to get these certs but as i study for these tests I have a greater and greater hate for Microsoft and the idiots that wrote their tests....

Save your money, don't buy any material for this test as it's almost all worthless and doesn't go into what the questions were on the test.

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Sadly i have to agree. I'm studying for the same test and failed myself the first time. Not all material is worthless in the books i've used (MS Publishing) but the exam is entirely too broad to cover with one book.

I'm mostly using technet, the exam layout and labs at this point.
  • Options
    nXPLOSinXPLOSi Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

I'm planning to start studying for this exam in the not to distant future, does not sound good! icon_sad.gif
    Twitter - ClarkFx
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    After a near-death experience (failure!), I rely more on TechNet and Labbing than anything else. I refer to a book or two for the knowledge, but don't rely anymore on on them the way I used to.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats on your pass! Actually this information is good as I have this exam next Friday and am doing my normal MS exam routine of CBT nuggets, technet articles, and labbing. I am finding this MUCH easier than the 70-640...it seems the scope of the 70-642 is much narrower than the 70-640.
  • Options
    PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Congrats on your pass! Actually this information is good as I have this exam next Friday and am doing my normal MS exam routine of CBT nuggets, technet articles, and labbing. I am finding this MUCH easier than the 70-640...it seems the scope of the 70-642 is much narrower than the 70-640.

I agree. I passed 70-642 and currently studying the 640. The MS book is over 900 pages!! Thats just overkill. Would an admin even use all the stuff thats in the book? Im finding watching CBT and labbing to be much more helpful
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I got the exam scheduled a few weeks from now, after I failed my 70-640 my first time I went ahead and got a few months of CBT nuggets for this exam, I'm really impressed with it so far.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I have this test scheduled for the 2nd week of April. and your the second person to give this kind of description of it icon_sad.gif So far the studying and material seems easier then the 640, has me a little worried.
  • Options
    brayshawbrayshaw Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on the exam, please post how it goes. I have just finished the M$ book and CBT videos, going to be booking the exam hopefully for the within the next couple of weeks. Set up a couple of labs, but tend to use on a daily basis at work (though I use Linux, GCOS, VMS, Srv2003, Srv2008, Srv2012 - confused!?) - reading comments think I'm going to have to knuckle down icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+