Options

WGU Classes

Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I'm curious if there is a class guide or something that can shed some light on these WGU classes. I see all these class acronyms but have no clue what they mean. I want to see what classes I can knock out for free at my CC while finishing my AAS to knock out some classes in the future for WGU. I have the A+, MTA's and Network+ lined up for me in the next month and half. The more credits i can xfer in the better off I will be and less money hopefully I have to spend.

Comments

• Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On wgu's site, click the degree program you're interested and find the area that says, " View the PDF Program Guide". Do you understand that the cost of the certifications are included in the cost of attending WGU? You literally pay nothing (aside from your tuition) to take the class and it's respective certification. If your current CC has a similar program, by all means take advantage of it, but I wouldn't pay out of pocket for any certifications.
  • Options
    Thanks for that info,
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thegoodbye wrote: »
    Do you understand that the cost of the certifications are included in the cost of attending WGU? You literally pay nothing (aside from your tuition) to take the class and it's respective certification. If your current CC has a similar program, by all means take advantage of it, but I wouldn't pay out of pocket for any certifications.

I thought you did pay for the "classes" which also include the certifications, at least to my understanding.

As an example. A+ costs $336 ($168 for each) - while WGU costs you $2,890 per term (6 months) let's say you are new to IT and it takes you a 3-5 months to study, practice and take both tests. There's a difference in price to justify that I would take the certs before entering WGU.

From my point of view I would much rather take the certs before entering WGU. Personally I would skip the MTA's and go for the MCSA, not only will you save money on these entry level exams, which aren't a prereq for the MCSA, but you're also saving time to complete the degree quicker and in the end save even more money.

Let's say you took these MTA's being offered by WGU, which is a total of 7 - depending on your level of knowledge, these can either be easy, moderate, or hard and also will delay or speed up your terms at WGU. (Maybe you get them all done in a term, maybe two terms..) Justify your knowledge and price. If you can do these quickly then spend your own money and knock these out. Though the ROI isn't that valuable.

I personally would put more attention of attaining a MCSA over the MTA for a better return of investment (ROI) and also if you have the MCSA under your belt this cert transfers in and eliminates some, if not ALL the MTA courses offered by WGU.

Just my opinion because this is what I'm doing. I'm finishing my Security+ book (CH 8/11) and will soon start going over the MCSA material.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Santa. I'm going to look into the MCSA over the MTA's. I didn't know they would wave them for the other. I was only taking the MTA's because my CC gives us vouchers after passing certain classes. They are Partners with CompTia, Microsoft and Cisco. I'm a vet so my schooling is paid for by the VA. Only reason I wanted to knock out the required stuff for my BS to hopefully speed up my time at WGU this fall.
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If these vouchers a free then I would go and pass the MTA's. If not, like I mentioned passing these MTA's does not carry over to a MCSA, which is why the return of investment in not valuable in my eyes.

Like the CCNA.. you take take two separate tests ICDN1 and ICDN2 and get the CCNA.

Let's say you take these MTA's that doesn't mean you get a MCSA, they're just MTA certs.

Where as you take pre-reqs for the MCSA (Check Computer & IT Certifications | Microsoft Learning) (Server/Desktop/Database)

For example; 680 + 685 get's you a MCSA: Windows 7

Now that you have the cert MCSA: Windows 7 - you transfer it into WGU and WGU eliminates some of the MTA's from your coursework.

These exams difficulty are much higher than the MTA's though so you need to study more, practice etc.

I'd like to also put this in from Microsoft's website. "Until January 31, 2014, when you earn your MCSA: Windows 7 certification you also earn your MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration certification and either your MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 certification (Exams 680 and 686) or your MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7 certification (Exams 680 and 685)."