CASP is now on the DoD 8570 Approved Baseline Certifications Table

IAT Level III
IAM Level II
IASAE I and II

Source: DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program

Comments

• Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Not sure how good of news this is. I think this makes it the only braindumpable certification at IAT III and it is sure to become a common certain because of that.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    MiikeB wrote: »
    Not sure how good of news this is. I think this makes it the only braindumpable certification at IAT III and it is sure to become a common certain because of that.

I'm not sure I follow.... What do you mean?
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CISSP = CASP according to the DoD now. I knew I should've waited! I could've saved a couple hundred dollars and saved a few years of my life! icon_lol.gif
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought that CASP is on the same level as SSCP. Still CISSP will get more call backs from employers than CASP.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    CASP will now instantly rise from "Complete Waste" to "TechExam's Must Have Cert™" via arbitrary Government fiat.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @pram - I wouldn't call it arbitrary - CompTIA and everyone else are into lobbying these days.

@spicy ahi - that's an interesting take on the subject. icon_lol.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MiikeB wrote: »

I wouldn't hire anyone who brain **** this exam. Not because they're a cheater but because it's such an easy exam and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing it. Maybe I'm being hard, but I prefer the SAN, ISACA, ISC exams over the CompTIA exams.

Also, AnthonyF posted the preliminary DoD 8140, which outlines the other certifications the work force is supposed to have.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @pram - I wouldn't call it arbitrary - CompTIA and everyone else are into lobbying these days.

@spicy ahi - that's an interesting take on the subject. icon_lol.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I was given the opportunity to sign up for a free take for the CASP and couldn't take time off to schedule the exam. If I did and passed, then that would have made it even more of a great story to tell. icon_thumright.gif
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    spicy ahi wrote: »
    CISSP = CASP according to the DoD now. I knew I should've waited! I could've saved a couple hundred dollars and saved a few years of my life! icon_lol.gif
    This is true if only the US DoD will be looking at your resume. The CISSP has far more recognition globally, giving it the best ROI among all InfoSec certs. People who skip the CISSP in favor of (the cheaper and easier) CASP cert will still need to get the CISSP later to progress in their InfoSec careers.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    da_vato wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow.... What do you mean?

CISSP changes the test questions all the time. Braindump developers cannot make **** for content that is ever changing.

CompTIA does not change their tests frequently and braindumps for their exam are very common.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'm looking at the chart, and trying to figure out which certs would qualify you for the most jobs.
    CISSP + CEH gets you everything but IASAE III and CNDSP Manager. (I believe that JDMurray pointed this out on another thread.)

What does this show?
    EC-Council has marketed the CEH very well.
    (ISC)2 has marketed the CISSP very well.
    CompTIA has marketed the CASP very well.

The only place the CASP (as well as the CISSP) look out of place is at the IAT Level III. How come no one questions the CEH dominating the CNDSP row?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really don't understand the hate for CASP. I thought it was challenging even though it was easier than CISSP. Yes it's probably dumpable but employers factor that in when hiring new personnel so that's why we are judged on more than just certs. I think the exam was well written and had good simulations. Only con I have is that it should have been longer and they need to change the questions every 6 months.
  • Options
    sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think as long as "CompTIA" is in the title, it will always lack a certain degree of credability by some. I for one am happy that there is now another option for IAT III. However, as some of you have stated, the CISSP is still the bread and butter cert.
  • Options
    broli720 wrote: »
    and they need to change the questions every 6 months.
    How do you know that CompTIA doesn't already do just that? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What we need around hereparts is a CASP fanboy to counteract all this negative vibes going on about it icon_pirat.gif
  • Options
    jm0202jm0202 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess for DOD PMP= Comptia Project +
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a 50 question exam give or take a few questions. Given the number of questions I don't think the 1 year refresh they use for Security+ will cut it. I'm just assuming here based on what I've heard.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    What we need around hereparts is a CASP fanboy to counteract all this negative vibes going on about it icon_pirat.gif
    Great idea. I nominate f0rgiv3n!
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    The only place the CASP (as well as the CISSP) look out of place is at the IAT Level III. How come no one questions the CEH dominating the CNDSP row?

Thats because people badmouth the CEH for other reasons. Also, there was a report stating that DoD is starting to dislike CEH on 8570 because it has no practical portion. I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Experts say DoD cyber workers undertrained - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

I'd like to hear a response to broli720's question. I wrote the CASP off primarily because of TE reviews...

And finally, Why did they take the GSE off of the approved list? And when did SCP certs get removed? (I'm glad they did, just wondering when they figured out the company was out of business.)
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    And finally, Why did they take the GSE off of the approved list?
    Basically, both the GCIH and the GSE were on the same level in 8570.01. The GCIH is a prerequisite for the GSE, so it makes no sense to include the GSE as a peer to the GCIH, which is certainly isn't.

Also, the GSE is not ISO/IEC 17024, which is a requirement of all certifications approved by 8570.01, so it's wonder how it got on in the list in first place.
  • Options
    DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CompTIA has this cert listed as a higher level than Security+ . It seems to me to be somewhere in the “IT Security and Networking Foundation” and also looks like its more of a managerial cert.
    I looked at this post for some of my research:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/casp/90409-failed-casp-but-info-might-help-others.html

Let me move some things around to get the SSCP and the CASP in the chart.
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan
  • Options
    CASP is a network security administration and operations cert. It really doesn't have much to do with the management side of business.

The CompTIA CASP Exam Experience - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs
  • Options
    Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Told a colleague of mine, who has failed the CISSP 2x, and they were like, "Whoot! Whoot! Time to get a brain-**** for the CASP so I can get hired on as a IAT III!"

They told me, "Why did you waste your time with the CISSP when you could have just gotten CASP and gotten the same level?!?!"

Not happy, I am but that is just because I feel that CASP at that level, even IAM II devalues the certifications that actually have people put in some effort to pass with study time, knowledge, CPEs, and money! Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    wikigetwikiget Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Grafixx01 wrote: »
    Told a colleague of mine, who has failed the CISSP 2x, and they were like, "Whoot! Whoot! Time to get a brain-**** for the CASP so I can get hired on as a IAT III!"
    I had two colleagues do something similar. Both brain dumped and blew the scenarios. Neither passed.

They both agreed they would rather try CISSP again. Apparently, CASP is only easier if you are technically inclined (they were managerial types).
    "Once upon a time, disks were floppy, administrators were electricians and computers were louder then jets. Then it all got complicated." -Anon

Life of a Network Security Manager: http://imgur.com/kKvmgjj
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've overheard several people at work plan on taking CASP over CISSP due to their belief that it is the easier option of the two.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    CASP is only easier if you really understanding the material that's on the exam, otherwise is just the option that will get you out of the testing center sooner.
  • Options
    McNinjaMcNinja Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    CASP is only easier if you really understanding the material that's on the exam, otherwise is just the option that will get you out of the testing center sooner.
    I can see that being true. Personally, though, I'm going for both the CASP and CISSP, and in my experience braindumping is a surefire way to feel like a fool at work when your boss or a user as a question and you can't answer it.

I've always felt that you can't make good policy if you don't understand the technical side, so I plan on becoming very familiar with the technical side despite my lack of hands-on experience.
  • Options
    Lexcorp6Lexcorp6 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So this is a solid option after the security+?