Ergonomic equipment, how many of you use these?

log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
Hey! icon_wink.gif
Found myself in the last few days suffering from terrible palm pains, since I had been spending most of my free time in front of the computer typing like a maniac in and outside of my job.
I'm interested to know if any of you have had any experience with ergonomic keyboards / mice and can advice me which is the best to purchase for my daily computer use.
Thanks! :)

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Sadly I do not. I really should. I am suffering from much of the same issues you have at my desktop computer.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I was in my twenties, I suffered pain in my wrist, elbows, forearms, and right shoulder. My doctor suspected carpal tunnel syndrome and I was prescribed a nerve conduction test.

The test involved using needles which are inserted into the muscles in the hand with no anesthetic and then measuring the electrical impulses. I still remember when the doctor asked me to lie down on the couch and they then preceded to elevate my legs. I thought it was very odd for a test on my hand. When I asked why, the doctor said it was a precaution but didn't elaborate. After the testing, the nurse mentioned that patients sometimes pass out from the pain of the test. It was one of the most excruciatingly painful experiences that I have ever encountered.

Anyways - my point is that if you experiencing symptoms from repetitive stress injuries - do something about it now! Adjust your behavior and get whatever assistance you need.

Luckily for me - I only had a severe case of tendonitis and I didn't need any surgery. I had to wear a splint for about a year which forced me to hold my hands differently when I type on a keyboard. I was on a regiment of anti-inflammatory drugs and physical therapy for about 6 months as well.

Besides the splint, I had to change the use of my mouse from being right-handed to left-handed (I wasn't able to move my shoulder without pain for about 2 years). One of the biggest things that helped me was to switch to a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard which I still use.

Ever since that time, I have been very careful about my typing and sitting habits. And I always stretch if I spend too much time at a keyboard.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I don't. Don't like them. People with them annoy me. Don't get me started with trackball mouse users. icon_cool.gif

At 29 working in IT and being a regular gamer, no issues yet.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like the Microsoft wireless 5000 set. The mouse doesn't work well on my Mac so I used a regular wired mouse but I love the keyboard.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I don't. Don't like them. People with them annoy me. Don't get me started with trackball mouse users. icon_cool.gif

At 29 working in IT and being a regular gamer, no issues yet.

Well, I didn't like waking up in the middle of the night with both of my hands completely numb and loosing feeling in half of each hand either. That annoyed me. I switched to a Microsoft Natural Keyboard and a trackball, and after a few weeks, my hands don't go numb at night and I can feel both halves of my hands. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but maybe you ought to consider that some people actually need​ these items to get work done.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    It's not a serious thing at all. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    I use a Microsoft natural keyboard and a trackball mouse been using them for years. Love both of them whilst I can quite happily use a normal keyboard using a normal mouse for more than a couple of minutes drives me banana's. Its also quite entertaining when people come and sit at my desk and try to use them. :)
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Been using a natural keyboard since the first release. My mousing hand never really has issues. However a chair without padded arm-rests is what led to cubital tunnel in my left arm. I had to undergo similar tests to what Paul78 described, however I don't recall them being nearly as painful. So after various anti-inflammatory medications, and visits to the doctor they determined that I needed ulnar nerve decompression. At the time my job consisted of a good bit of typing so this put me on disability leave, for the better part of a full year. Since that time I have a chair with padded arm rests, I use gel cushions to rest my arm on if it's ever on my desk, etc. etc. Not an experience I would ever care to repeat, if you have the capability to obtain ergonomic equipment, do so.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.