Security+ or MCP....

chris2wirechris2wire Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I plan to pass Security+ and do the MCSA program and maybe the MCSE afterwards.

The Security+ counts towards an elective on either Microsoft program so Im wondering, when thinking of short term resume building, what looks better Security+ or MCP from passing a microsoft exam?

I gotta do both in the long run, just wondering which is most beneficial being added to a resume in case I job hunt within the next few months.

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, this always depends on the job you are hunting.

If you are looking for some kind of support job I guess that MCP will get you closer to it then Sec+ will.
    If you are looking for something security related (configuring firewalls, VPNs, etc.) Sec+ is probably the best deal.

If I were you I would do first what I feel most comfortable with. If you have lots of experience on Windows XP go for 70-270 and become an MCP.

If you are experienced with firewalls, data security, etc. go for Sec+.

If neither is the case, well, throw a coin icon_wink.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mcp
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I recently passed 70-227. I was in the same situation as you, having similar thoughts. CompTIA certs are useless in denmark, so for me the choice was pretty easy. You have to ask yourself how valueable Sec+ really is in your area.
  • duckduckduckduckduckduck Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Security+ is hot right now and looks good as an addition to your resume, but I'd hammer out the MCP first if I was you. HR people are much more likely to know and value the name of Microsoft.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Do any employers really care about the MCP "vapor cert?" I see them looking for "MCSE" and that's it. They also seem to highly regard the MCSE with a CCNA. (Alas, the poor MCSD is still disrespected.)

Microsoft accepts the Security+ as part of their MCSE+Security track, so I'd probably study for both Security+ and one of the easier MCSA exams at the same time, and take whichever I felt best about first.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Do Sec+..Anybody can get an MCP...Might as well do SEC+ & 270 at the same time.
  • antoine808antoine808 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JD Murray You are hilarious, I agree with you. My employer wants to pay for my studies in Database Management. So I agree with taking MCSE first.
    Singing- *Rain drops keep falling on my head*
  • chris2wirechris2wire Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think ill go with Security+ as my next cert, since MCP is sort of specific to micrsoft while security+ invokes many aspects of security.

of course in the end i want both security and mcse/mcsa: security
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    If you are going to do both anyway, I think going for MCP first will make the topics of the Security+ exam a bit easier to grasp, although that entirely depends on how much knowledge you have gained already through previous experience/education.