Options

Major Topics for CCNA Composite Exam

BobNakamuraBobNakamura Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody

I am new to this forum. I was browsing the internet and found this place by luck. :)

Anyhow, I have my CCNA exam scheduled this week, and I was wondering what the major topics that the CCNA exam will cover? I am also a Cisco Networking Academy student, hence I am wondering if I am prepared for this exam, since from what I heard in the past, Cisco Networking Academy students are not well prepared (it might be rumors, but I'm not too sure about that). Lastly, are there packet tracer labs during the CCNA Exam?

If there is a similar topic posted already, I apologize for the duplicate post.
Goals for 2013
- Get into a Computer Engineering program for university [✓]
- Earn my CCNA Certification [✓]
- Earn my CompTIA A+ Certification [ ]
And then I will decide what to do from there...

Comments

• Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HI Bob,

I went through the NetAcad as well and I can tell you.... IMO it was not enough to get me through the exam. Not to freak you out or anything... each program is different... each school is different. We hit the main topics in class... but it was such a compressed schedule, I felt we glazed over a lot of things I encountered on the exam. I can't discuss what is on the exam in detail. I can tell you there is a possibility you will see drag-n-drop questions where you match terms to the definitions. Also, Cisco has Sims or Simlets where you are given a task and you have to complete the task in a series of steps per their requirements. Know how to subnet fast... you have 90 min for the test. To answer your question about Packet Tracer... no... you will not see it on the exam.

What helped me get trough it..... have a look here to see what topics are covered.

CBT Nuggets CCNA course.
    Todd's CCNA Book
    I also used Measureup Our school had a discounted voucher ... was a decent testing engine...

Right now INE is offering the CCNA Bootcamp for free if you want to check it out. Lots of great info....

Dan's Courses on YouTube were beneficial as well.

For me... this was one of the hardest tests I've ever taken. I'm in the process of transitioning careers... no IT experience. If you have any IT/Network experience it's a huge plus.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Hatch
  • Options
    Thank you Patel + Hatch for the info! I have been to the cisco certification site and it seems as if Netacad covered every topic, though I'm not really to sure.

For the Sims or simlets (specifically, the ones that requires you to set up ACLs), are they fairly lenient in terms of how you set them up or does it have to match exactly what they want?

Again, thank you for your expertise! I will look carefully into the resources provided the next few days! :)
    Goals for 2013
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you Patel + Hatch for the info! I have been to the cisco certification site and it seems as if Netacad covered every topic, though I'm not really to sure.

For the Sims or simlets (specifically, the ones that requires you to set up ACLs), are they fairly lenient in terms of how you set them up or does it have to match exactly what they want?

Again, thank you for your expertise! I will look carefully into the resources provided the next few days! :)

Welcome.

All depends on the Sims and if you get an ACL one... they have a variety of scenarios .... but...you need to do what they ask in the instructions. You may get partial credit or no credit... depends on the sim and the steps you input. ALWAYS copy run/start just to be safe.

I found writing out the steps or commands on the laminate sheet while testing really helped... so I didn't miss anything and I had it planned out... step by step.

Cisco portable command guide is an awesome book to have as well...

Hatch
  • Options
    Alright! Thank you again! :D
    Goals for 2013
  • Options
    Apologies for the double post...

Very minor and quick question: when doing the simlets, is the question mark allowed?
    Goals for 2013