Options

IT Staffing Companies

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was wondering if anyone here has ever worked for IT staffing companies like Teksystems,K-force,Volt,Ect and what were your experiences good or bad ? The reason I am asking is because my contact was due to end Dec 31st 2012 and then in the last week of December it was extended to March 31st 2013 and recently it was extended again until May 31st 2013. Is this Normal for an IT staffing company to do ?

Please advise
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mgmguy1 wrote: »
    Is this Normal for an IT staffing company to do ?
    Please advise

Yes, it's normal. Usually the decision to extend your contract, or not, is up to the company where are you performing your work. They may feel like they need a bit more time before they a) let you go or b) make you a job offer.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Completely normal. I went through Insight Global before and I was originally hired for a 6 month contract. It was extended another 6 months by the healthsystem and 2 months into that extension, I was brought on as a FTE. It was an extremely stressful time for me since I felt like any time I had a bad day, I was going to get my contract cancelled.
    My current position is supposed to be a consulting gig with a 6 month contract. I was informed that it would be extended indefinitely and I will begin negotiations shortly on whether or not it will become a FTE position or if I would like to remain a consultant (pros and cons to both). I haven't been really stressed or worried a single day since I've been there that I'm going to get fired. It's a great company to work for and I have a great support system there.

So yeah, I've been there. It's completely normal. Don't get frustrated if this is your first time contracting.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Just a little frustrated is all. I really had planned my life out after march 31st. When they told me that my contact had been extended I had not any communication from either the employer or my IT staffing company that they had planned to extend the contract again. They were a-little annoyed when I told them I was going to be taking days off in April and May. I was looking for others feedback so I can make up my mind on what I want to do.
    I'm grateful I have a job but concerned about the lack of communication from my IT staffing company and the expectation of not planning your life out for the end of the contract.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm sort of amused that you're upset because you're not going to be unemployed come March 31st :)

Oh well, you can always quit if you're sure you can get other jobs
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rsutton is right on the money. I am currently on a 3 month contract right to hire. At the end of 3 months they will either let me go, extended me, or bring me on FT.

I'm not going to worry about it, there are always other jobs to be had.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Working on a 12 month contract with the possibility of being extended for another 6 months. If I don't get hired on within 18 months then I will be let go.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Communication's a 2-way street. You could have asked your rep at the staffing company if your contract's been extended or not.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'm not going to worry about it, there are always other jobs to be had.

There are?

Well, in good times, anyway. And at least, so far as we're being told, the economy is improving.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes sir, there sure are.

I have another lined up if........ well I won't say it ;)
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    Communication's a 2-way street. You could have asked your rep at the staffing company if your contract's been extended or not.

If you had seen my next post in this thread I did say I tried to contact them about the status of my contract.

Fats Domino
  • Options
    IT HeadhuntersIT Headhunters Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, in working with IT staffing companies, I see contracts being extended all the time. Sometimes the companies don't make that decision until the last minute so the IT staffing company is not able to give you a heads-up. In any case, keep the lines of communications open and let them know your preferences.