Options

Please help.. question for those who took CCENT within the past month

djpheerdjpheer Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was told by my instructor that he has heard that within the past month Cisco no longer allows using ? or tab on the exam. Also I was told that they are possibly not allowing abbreviations as well?

For example:

show int fa0/1 wouldnt be accepted

You would have to type show interface fastethernet 0/1.

Is there any truth to these or is he just trying to scare us?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    umm I doubt there is any truth in this.. Cisco understands people will not remember every command, but even if they did take it away its no problem because once you get enough hours under your belt labbing you will be saying the commands in your sleep.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If that is true what your instructor says then it would be bizarre that they'd disallow candidates using ? and tab in their CCENT yet allow it in CCNP exams.(i did two in the last month)
    Another thing is that those sims have a very limited command set so it would actually be unfair to deprive you of the use of ? in order to see what is actually available.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    That can't be true.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    djpheerdjpheer Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys....I don't want to rely on it anyway but sometimes it is just natural to type abbreviations (aka show run) and use the ? mark. It's almost a conditioned response. I would hate to see that limited on an exam. Hopefully he just got some bad second hand information. :)
  • Options
    davidhgagnedavidhgagne Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Shortcuts are still allowed, but I do recall seeing that on some labs tab and question mark were disabled... but for CCENT the commands really were not that in depth. Just my two cents worth! Good luck! I am taking ICND2 shortly. :) Oops make that Feb 28 lol (last day of the month)....
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I remember some shortcuts not being allowed, I am a type and tab junkie and many times had to literally type the entire command in. Someone mentioned above, through your studies and labbing you will grasp the command should you need to type it out completely.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam yesterday. Tab worked fine. But "?" didn't work.
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it really depends on what the simulation is. I know when I did the ? it didn't work but the tab did. Of course the simulation only wanted you using one command and it made it obvious when you tried a different version of the same command. Don't stress over it.
  • Options
    Ls1raiderLs1raider Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the ICND1 today and can assure the shortcuts/abbreviations are still allowed. I used a few of them myself today without the tab. As far as the ?, I tried it once with a glitter of hope on a questioned i was stuck on but had no luck.
    AAS Computer Networking and Service Technology
  • Options
    mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam last week and absolutely used shortcut commands and ?'s. Didn't use tab once, just "do sho ip int brie" and such.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This rumor has been circling around for more than 10 years. When I first took the CCNA in 2003, I heard the same thing over and over about Cisco restricting tab completion and the question mark and i've heard it just about every year since.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    pdosevpdosev Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    Don't worry you can use '?' with no problem.
    However is good to know the full commands, at least the imprtant ones.
    There is smth interesting that I found when i use 'show mac-address-table; it gives you unrecognized command so i used "show ?" then show mac ? and it turned out that the working command is show "mac address-table". I didn't try tab because I don't use it, also int fa0/1 works perfectly.
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I game my CCNET exam on 2th of this month. They support '?', and don't worry they will continue to support the use of '?' cause without it, well, most of us are f*cked.
    But that doesn't mean to shouldn't memorize anything at all. ;)
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    BobNakamuraBobNakamura Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just passed my CCNA, and I'm pretty sure that its the same with the CCENT. The '?' is allowed, tab is allowed, but shortcuts are not allowed. :)
    Goals for 2013
    - Get into a Computer Engineering program for university [✓]
    - Earn my CCNA Certification [✓]
    - Earn my CompTIA A+ Certification [ ]
    And then I will decide what to do from there...