Options

Network Admin - Finally!!

KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
icon_cheers.gif I am finally in the process of moving up from a primary break/fix/Helpdesk style role and into a Network Administrator role. I signed the offer letter on Friday and the background check started today. Once all is completed, I will give my notice and should be starting around April 1. ~17% pay increase isn't bad either.

One thing I can say is never give up. I actually started interviewing for this position before Thanksgiving. I was submitted at one pay rate (permanent placement through a recruiter) first. After a phone screen and Wonderlic test they said I was about $10K to high. We negotiated down $5K and I did an in person personality interview with the owner. She than came back and said I was more than what they were looking for (internal structure change) and they were interviewing someone else a full $15K less than what I was submitted at. 2 weeks ago the position opened up again, I completed a technical interview and then a second lunch interview with the owner last Friday. I received the offer letter by the end of the day!

Previously, I have been primarily in a break/fix role for the last 8 years. I finally got interested in Certifications last year and changed my perspective on my current role to tweak my resume. I now finally moving up and towards my desired goal of Info Sec!

My story is a lot slower than some others, but it goes to show that we all go through different circumstances and get "the bug" at different points in our life. Keep moving forward!
Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!

Comments

• Options
    cygnus21cygnus21 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new role. The real key is to keep working hard towards reaching your goals and you get there. I am hoping something similar happens for me in the near future, and your story helps me to keep my head up and moving forward even if it is slower than I would like.
    WGU B.S.IT - Network Design and Management :
    Courses Completed: Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, IWC1, IWT1 Completed: GAC1, AXV1, TTV1, WFV1, BNC1, BNC1
    Courses Needed : LAT1, LUT1, HHT1, QLT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, ORC1, LET1, BOV1, TPV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1, BIV1
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One St. Louisian to another gratz!
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    One St. Louisian to another gratz!

And yet another, congratz!
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Nice! You are on your way, life is all about experiences...God I sound old. Ugh!

Congrats!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats, that's great!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    w00t! New job, new $$$, new company!!! Exciting!!!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    More money for more certs.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks, all. Next up is finishing up the MCSA Server 2008. And new emplorer pays for exams and materials, and small bonuses when I pass an exam! Woot woot!!
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keener wrote: »
    Thanks, all. Next up is finishing up the MCSA Server 2008. And new emplorer pays for exams and materials, and small bonuses when I pass an exam! Woot woot!!

Very nice!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021