CEHv8

sionsion Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
So recently I grabbed the BOSON CEH practice tests for v7 and did pretty well. Without looking at any of the content the exam covers I got a 78% the first quiz, 2nd a 95%, and 3rd quiz a 98%. I emailed ec-council asking what version is current, since I did not realize that v8 was out there until after the fact. They responded that 8 was indeed the current version. Does anyone know how different the 2 versions are from each other, or have any ideas of self study guides for v8? I am not going to take a boot camp or a class if it's as easy as the v7.1 practice exams. Also, it looks like both versions are available to purchase and test on. Has anyone recently taken the v7 and passed?

Thanks

Comments

• jm0202jm0202 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Weird stuff since I called EC Council a couple months ago and the told me the current version is V7. And that material for V8 is not even released yet
  • sionsion Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this is the email response i got back:

Thank you for your email.

CEH V8 is the current CEH exam that we have. It is different from the V7.

You can visit the following link for more details:

https://cert.eccouncil.org/certification/certificate-categories/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh

If you have any question, do write to me.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Norazwa Ahmad Murad
    Certification Manager / Acting Certification Director
    certdirector@eccouncil.org
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They dont have their stuff together, I remember someone on here saying that they took v8, but that mistake has been made before. What i can tell you is that I see v8 is available through the VUE portal, so I assume its live.

From what we have been hearing, v8 was only released to become compliant for ANSI accreditation, no exam changes, only updates to the courseware. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong. From my understanding there is no v8 study material outside of official ECC materials. Which is not surprising, people have been using old material to pass the CEH for years, v4 material was used to pass until v6, v6 material was used to pass v7...

Welcome to TE.
  • sionsion Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I picked up the CEH Practice exams by Matt Walker published on Feb 19 '13 and it appears to be written for v8. A lot of the content was the same as I saw on the Boson exams, but there were quite a few new questions that I had not seen before.

From the book:
    The exam itself—now on version 8—is a four-hour, 125-question grueling marathon that will leave you exhausted when you click the Finish button. EC Council has provided a handbook on the certification and exam (as of this writing, located at https://cert.eccouncil.org/wp-contents/uploads/CEH-Candidate-Handbook-v1.6-31012012.pdf) that provides all you’ll need to know about qualifications, content, and other information about the exam and certification. I’ve included some highlights from this handbook here, detailing the exam and what you’ll need. To begin, the exam is proctored (that is, you take it in person at an authorized testing facility). As I stated earlier, it’s four hours long and is composed of 125 questions. It’s computer based, and allows you to skip and mark questions to revisit at the end. Your exam score is tabulated immediately after completion, so be sure to review everything before clicking Finish. A passing score is 70%, which means you need to answer at least 88 questions correctly.

Walker, Matt (2013-02-09). CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Practice Exams (Kindle Locations 248-256). McGraw-Hill Osborne Media. Kindle Edition.

I am still confused because the practice exams in the book you download are still 150 questions, and the exam said I failed at 78% on my first run through, claiming 80% was needed which is contradictory to whats said above.

For those who have taken the cert, if i run through these exams in the book a few times and can consistantly get 95%+ on scores between book and Boson tests, would that be sufficient to challenge the exam? I have over 14 yrs in network security professionally, and was playing around with it well before i got my first job.
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sion wrote: »
    So I picked up the CEH Practice exams by Matt Walker published on Feb 19 '13 and it appears to be written for v8. A lot of the content was the same as I saw on the Boson exams, but there were quite a few new questions that I had not seen before.

From the book:

I am still confused because the practice exams in the book you download are still 150 questions, and the exam said I failed at 78% on my first run through, claiming 80% was needed which is contradictory to whats said above.

For those who have taken the cert, if i run through these exams in the book a few times and can consistantly get 95%+ on scores between book and Boson tests, would that be sufficient to challenge the exam? I have over 14 yrs in network security professionally, and was playing around with it well before i got my first job.

The only practice tests I used was TE and the AIO book. I scored consistantly in the 80's then took the test. Given your exp and desired practice test scores, I think you will be good :). Good luck man
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Has anyone picked up Matt Walker's CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Boxed Set (All-in-One) released April 9, 2013? I've been looking for any hint if this is for CEHv7 or CEHv8. I highly suspect it's for CEHv7 based on this phrase in the book's description: "...an in-depth exam review covering all 19 CEH exam domains." CEHv8 added a 20th domain, Hacking Mobile Platforms. I'm really looking for Walker's CEHv8 practice exams that people are talking about. Walker's CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Practice Exams is for CEHv7.

FYI: The CEHv7 exam will no longer be offered after 10/31/2013. For people that may have CEHv7 exam vouchers, a voucher upgrade package to CEHv8 is available. Contact certhelpdesk@eccouncil.org or product@eccouncil.org for more info.
  • WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    I read his CEH book and it did have a section on hacking mobiles. Thought it was neat. Just got in the practice exams. Will let you know how they are when I crack it open tonight.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not that it really matters, but I passed the CEH on2/21and my certificate showed up with v7. So somewhere between then and 3/11 they started offering v8.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    Both CEHv7 and CEHv8 exams can be taken now. The CEHv7 exam will not be available after 10/31/2013. The exam codes for the CEHv8 vary between testing centers:

315-50-ANSI for Prometric Prime at Accredited Training Centers (ATC)
    350CEHv8 at Authorized Prometric Testing Centers (APTC)
    312-50v8 at VUE testing centers
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Has anyone picked up Matt Walker's CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Boxed Set (All-in-One) released April 9, 2013? I've been looking for any hint if this is for CEHv7 or CEHv8. I highly suspect it's for CEHv7 based on this phrase in the book's description: "...an in-depth exam review covering all 19 CEH exam domains." CEHv8 added a 20th domain, Hacking Mobile Platforms. I'm really looking for Walker's CEHv8 practice exams that people are talking about. Walker's CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Practice Exams is for CEHv7.

FYI: The CEHv7 exam will no longer be offered after 10/31/2013. For people that may have CEHv7 exam vouchers, a voucher upgrade package to CEHv8 is available. Contact certhelpdesk@eccouncil.org or product@eccouncil.org for more info.

Did you ever find out about the books JD? I'm looking in to CEH because the fiduciary commitment to OSCP (I'm assuming that I'll need the 90 day option plus an extension) is out of reach at the moment and would really like to accomplish something before I decide to commit to ISSEP or CISM...
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
    No, I will need to email the publisher to find out when a new edition of the Walker book for CEHv8 is due out. Because the CEHv8 exam has (supposedly) been completely re-written, I'm getting rather interested in taking it and writing a review of it here at TE.
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Please do!! :) I am looking at the CEH and will probably wait till v8 material's out so I can just take the most up-to-date version.
  • jillbojillbo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Both CEHv7 and CEHv8 exams can be taken now. The CEHv7 exam will not be available after 10/31/2013. The exam codes for the CEHv8 vary between testing centers:

315-50-ANSI for Prometric Prime at Accredited Training Centers (ATC)
    350CEHv8 at Authorized Prometric Testing Centers (APTC)
    312-50v8 at VUE testing centers

Are the tests the same, just different codes? Do I need to study different material if I'm taking a VUE test vs a Prometric test?
    It's the same exam for all testing center vendors. The testing center the exam is administered at is not a factor in the material on the the exam, but certain people may only be allowed to take a specific exam at specific testing center or testing center vendor, such as Federal/military people only allowed to test at a Prometric ATC.
    The 2nd edition of the Matt Walks book for CEHv8 is available at Amazon now.