Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Level 1 sounds insanely busy.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actually interviewed and was offered a position at a cell carriers NOC. The cool thing was they allowed me to sit with one of the analysts and see what the job was like (I observed for about 45 minutes). It was actually one of the most interesting things I've had a chance to see and it actually shows the vast amount of things you can monitor. It was definitely extremely fast paced, though they had it broken up fairly well till you got your groove. The carrier I interviewed with only had two NOCs that watched the entire country.

Basically, you became "certified" on the equipment you were monitoring. They started you with the easiest stuff and as you became certified, they'd move you to the next batch of equipment. Two screens, you'd be assigned various towers and be responsible for the happens of them. They were so fine tuned that you would receive an alert if one of the blinking lights went out. From there you would contact the FAA to alert them and allow them to redirect traffic until it was clear. The other thing to consider is they are considered a vital service thus can never be down or not staffed. No calling out or there would be heck to pay.

Overall it the pay was really good and the job seemed interesting.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    why didn't you take it?

I interviewed somewhere.... hoping they make me such an offer
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked for an ISP as a back office engineer the noc techs were the front office(first line) i used to deal with them a lot they are still my friends and the job is not that demanding i mean lots of reports and call to take care of sometimes but you'll learn a lot about every single thing and when everything is ok you can study(ask for graveyard shift if possible so you can have more spare time)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly, I didn't take it because I didn't care for the manager and the HR person was extremely rude (that is putting it nicely). In the interview with the manager he didn't seem to listen to my answers to his questions. As far as I could tell, he'd ask a question and as I spoke he'd daydream. In regards to the HR person, she literally acted as if this was a national security position. She asked if I received a bonus at one of my jobs and I said yes it was around <x amount>. She immediately raised her voice and said she wanted exact figures that they would find the amount in my background check and if it was even a dollar off I would not get the job. I've held a Secret clearance and a TS/SCI with SSBI thus her pretending that any check they did would be as intensive was a joke. All that being said, the pay was definitely good and if it wasn't for those two people I would have taken the job. You will definitely learn a lot, though did they discuss what shift it would be? I was applying for third shift and I will say they were very upfront with saying it would be two years before I could hope for a different shift or another position in the company.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    They said it would be dayshift, 8to5, and that it would be a lot of internal training before I was able to be on my own.

That being said, it is a 24 hour environment, so I'm sure at some point they would want me to do other stuff, the manager did imply he would be interested in starting a new shift, 6am to 2pm, but advised that would be well after training
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark