Options

Finally An Engineer

SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
After 4 years of studying and acquiring certifications, my company (a large telecom) finally noticed me. I received 2 job offers last month. I accepted the job of Engineer II in our ATAC (Advance Technical Assistance Center) in Wake Forest, NC.

Thanks to everyone on these forums who has helped along the way either by answering my questions, or by asking questions that made me think before answering them.

There were times when I thought it would never happen, but the persistence finally paid off.

Comments

• Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new position!!! icon_cheers.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats! Do you think the certs played the biggest part in them noticing you or was it combined with the skills you showed on the job?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you had to name one Cert that helped, what would you say it was in your opinion?

and Congrats!!!
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    Congrats! Do you think the certs played the biggest part in them noticing you or was it combined with the skills you showed on the job?

It was a combination, but I have been displaying my skills on the job for 18 years, so it was definitely the certs that put me over.
  • Options
    bub9001 wrote: »
    If you had to name one Cert that helped, what would you say it was in your opinion?

and Congrats!!!

I would have to say that in one way it was the CCNP and in another it was just the quantity of certs. Both of those put me above the other candidates. No one else had a CCNP and no one else had as many certs. Plus, let's not forget the interviews. I just stayed calm and tried to be me. I think being honest and letting your personality show through definitely helps.

Thanks to everyone for all the congratulations.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new position!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats to you!
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweetness! Congratulations! Keep moving on up!
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    I would have to say that in one way it was the CCNP and in another it was just the quantity of certs. Both of those put me above the other candidates. No one else had a CCNP and no one else had as many certs. Plus, let's not forget the interviews. I just stayed calm and tried to be me. I think being honest and letting your personality show through definitely helps.

Thanks for the response, and the info on your journey. I am starting to look at CCENT and CCNA material. As much as I think I need to get my MCSA right now, I have more desire for CCENT and CCNA. It's hard to know which way to go after CCNA, but the CCNP sounds like a good step in a year or so for me to get to the Engineer role.

Thanks again
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Congrats and good luck!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Congrats. What are your day-to-day duties and your responsibilities?
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just stayed calm ...

According to your avatar, I would bet you have a little more control of your nerves than most. Congrats on the new position, I'm sure it feels great to see all your hard work paid off! And thanks for the pointers.
  • Options
    tycar86 wrote: »
    According to your avatar, I would bet you have a little more control of your nerves than most. Congrats on the new position, I'm sure it feels great to see all your hard work paid off! And thanks for the pointers.

You are the first person to ever mention my avatar. I am moving down to N.C. to be closer to the sharks.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    You are the first person to ever mention my avatar. I am moving down to N.C. to be closer to the sharks.

Wow your brave! You'll never see me get close a shark! Is this your hobby?
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    WiseWun wrote: »
    Wow your brave! You'll never see me get close a shark! Is this your hobby?

Yes, snorkeling, scuba diving, swimming with sharks and underwater photography are my hobbies. I have swum with Caribbean Reef Sharks, Leopard Sharks, Nurse Sharks and a 25 foot Whale Shark.

That picture is from the Bahamas. There were a few dozen 6-8 foot Caribbean Reef Sharks swimming around.