Options

ICND2 Mission Accomplished! Tips/Conclusions/Whats next

altdrugzaltdrugz Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was sure that Im gonna pass it and finally..! I passed it with a score of 930. What I used:
- CBT videos icnd1/2 and the Cisco for the real world (labs)
- INE CCNA videos
- Odom's book
- Lammle's book
- GNS3 (<3)
- Some real equipment (2 old 2500 series and a 2950 switch)

I was 120% confident about that exam, and I think it s very important.

Tips:

If you are self-studying (as I did) the number ONE problem is the lack of motivation (at least mine) and number 2 is DISTRACTION. I wasted million times trolling in fakebook/youtube as I was in my pc. If I was about to go back in time what I would do different for sure would be to SHUTDOWN and LOCK my computer for 1 month and really STUDY until books are finished...
What I did against the motivational part was to watch videos, and specially the ones with Jeremy gave me a lot of strength!

Conclusions:
Personally speaking, I found the exam tough (and the materials waaay too many).. I really believe that someone who took CCNP back in 2007-8 will find it hard (assuming that he has no working experience!) Im happy that I passed it but I dont have time for celebrations (sadly). So I have some questions for deciding whats next. Keep in mind the following: currently im unemployed and I want to "get" inside this networking field with a plan to focus in the future in the security area.

CCNP is something that its interesting but if they are going to change CCNA completely in June or next Im pretty sure they will do the same for CCNP.
CCNP-Security is another one. From cisco's site a "plain" CCNA is a requirement and im finding the topics more interesting from CCNPs but should I have CCNA Security for a better understanding?
JunOS Associate certification is also something that sounds interesting (specially the fact that Juniper's OS looks like FreeBSD hell yea!)

Finally Im checking the OTIL certification and some of Microsoft (maybe MCSA? MCSE?). Since my degree isnt in IT/Computer Science which certifications you think you could help me to get an *entry* job ?

Comments

• Options
    fiftyofiftyo Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, what do you find the most interesting about IT concepts in general, i.e whats your goal role?
    Entry IT jobs can be obtained without a degree- a degree takes you through HR, it does not land you a job. Out over the obvious apply to jobs and post your resume at dice/indeed etc. Find a couple of companies you want to work for, find some contact person (usually its on their site, otherwise you can call them and ask). What you do then is send in your resume to them, basically saying "Hey, I'd like to work for you.. More random motivations of why.. My resume is attached. Please get back to me if there's any spot open for someone like me.. etc".

I've said it before, however, I think the CCNA:sec is a pretty good cert now after the changes. I'd say it takes up some of the content CCNA lacks, namely logs/ntp/VPN etc.
    altdrugz wrote: »
    JunOS Associate certification is also something that sounds interesting (specially the fact that Juniper's OS looks like FreeBSD hell yea!)
    Guess why ;)
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    Congrats! and awesome score. I'm ready to do mine, I got it scheduled at end of month.. i've studied and studied and studied until i'm blue in the face lol been studying for last 4 months for ICND 2.
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Which book did you find better to read I'm reading Lammle's book and my god ITS SO ****** BORING. IDK maybe I learn better with the videos. For someone struggling to finish reading the book what do you recommend? I also want to take my exam at the end of the month or mid April. I've already watched the CBT Nuggets video which was good but as i learned the first time with the ICND1 you can't pass it alone with videos.

Thanks and way to go!
  • Options
    altdrugzaltdrugz Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    *Thanks everybody!
    @fiftyo I am pretty sure that my goal is to work into something with network security / or having security stuff inside! Probably I ll give 1-2 weeks to figure out my next goal (talking about certs), and i will certainly apply for "whatever" job i will find xD.

@wweboy First of all, I am also in this type of guys that struggle to read anything! About the books: Well I think Odom's book is just what a Bible is... I found it far more better than Lammle's and describes everything in a deep way... The "problem" with that is that informations are really too many to handle sometimes.. There are though some parts in Lammle's book that I found them more descriptive (such as the part of the configuration register). The only drawback I found in Odom's book (personally) is that I would prefer having more questions like the 10 for each chapter but even that depends on your method. In both books I didnt like the ipv6 part. Made me totally confused and if there wasnt the youtube I wouldnt understand it. My advice for ipv6 is to lab it in GNS3 for example and to see how actually works..
    What I did..was to study the whole book first (without notes without anything, because its a way for me to be more focused and I didnt even write ANYTHING on the book :D -- i know it sounds crazy icon_sad.gif) and then did the review questions to understand my missing points. I used Lammle's book after I finished Odoms and did all the labs/questions. And YES do NOT rely on the videos... Specially the icnd1/2 part of CBT that I used had a few _key_ informations (CCNA labs was really GREAT series).. Videos for me was just a way to find a motive to go back and study.
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks altdrugz guess i just need to suck it up and read the books as badly as I really don't want too but its important information to know.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats on the pass! The CCNA Security is a prerequisite for the CCNP:S so you pretty much have to do it unless you have a CCIE :D It is also a pretty good introduction but it does not go very deep - it is a CCNA after all.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.