Options

Machines

jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
I am getting everything ready to start my study for this exam. What do you guys think would be the best machine/computer set-up to get the experience and know how to pass this exam.

I have multiple systems at my hand so that should not be a problem. Just tell me what to have on them.

Thanks & Regards,
John B.
GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I use a two computer system, soon to be three. They are connected with a cheap hub, soon to be a switch. I create basic domain structure, with all the extras such as Dns and Dhcp, RRas and TS. Then I break it down, and switch things up a bit so it's a memory game. You could also look at a virtual system, although they require extensive Ram to support themselves.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    I'm using Virtual PC with my 256MB/700Mhz/20G IBM laptop. I created Windows 2003 and XP as the client and it runs fine. I also have a 550Mhz/128MB desktop with Win2003 on it. I think any computer with at least 128MB/500Mhz would do fine if you want to install Windows 2003 with least minimum of program.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    How do I get hooked up with a virtual PC?
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    jescab wrote:
    How do I get hooked up with a virtual PC?
    icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/virtualpc

or

icon_arrow.gifwww.vmware.com
  • Options
    you install Virtual PC like you would any software. Once installed you run it like any program, except you have an OS within an OS. Pretty cool concept if you ask me. I think with advancement in hardware soon, one would only need a system with a large hard drive space, powerful processor. and a large capacity of RAM, one could run multiple servers on one system. No more having to go out and dish tons of $$ for hardwares, and no more wires running amok!
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    zenboy - how do you have ur virtual PC set up?? do you have two virtual machines, one XP and one 2003 and have them interact that way?? thats what im thinking of doing by i can only run one virtual machine at a time, only have 256MB so im gonna upgrade and get 1GB on payday so i think this should be sufficant.
  • Options
    Robsongto....I think you got it me wrong. I do have two pcs; however, I only run Virtual PC on one of these pcs; the other one, I just install windows 2003 on it. the PC with Virtual PC on it has Windows 2003 (with AD) as the main OS and XP (as client) as the virtual os in it. The pc with only Windows 2003 installed, I would setup it as file or print server.

Running the XP os is like running a virtual games on top of the Windows 2003. I would suggest that you try to install the Virtual PC with your 256 MB to see if it work since you only need to do simply stuffs for the exam before head out and buy more RAM. Like I said, I'm running Virtual PC on my 700Mhz/256MB/20G IBM laptop and it runs fine.
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    Ahh i see what you mean now...

Ive bought some more RAM today anyhow to play about with, just my mate lent me a copy of Windows Server 2003 but it was in polish....nice. So ive d/loaded the 180 day trial version from M$ to play about with :D

Have you done any labs to use group polices ect?