How did you get your first Help Desk job?

2»

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    We didn't really have a network at the location I was at. So, when the network guy at headquarters suggested he needed a liason to our division, I leaped at the chance. I learned so much regarding networks(mostly Novell..but still) and workstations.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    Mine was through a reference I didn't use.

I listed that I am an Eagle Scout on my resume as well as where I went to high school. My now boss knows my former computer networking instructor (high school) and his son was also in my scout troop. She called him and he put in a good word for me. I got an interview and she explained the connection we both have with him and decided to give me an offer.
    :lol:
  • dubzerdubzer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Showing the director of IT I really wanted the position and going out to learn their whole environment on my own personal time wowed him post interview.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It was the most basic help desk you can find that paid poorly and had hardly any responsibilities. My wife actually found the job for herself (she's not very technical either) so she told me about it and I got accepted. I only worked there 3 months before I got a job that paid 50% more and was at least somewhat technical (imaging PCs).
  • codedwarcodedwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Probably not what you're looking for but I got into IT by joining the military. I enlisted with a guaranteed job as a network/crypto tech. It's not for everyone but it worked really well for me. They sent me to tech school for 10 months after basic training to learn Cisco and hardware encryption. They also payed for a ton of other training over the years. Bootcamps, optical networking classes, wireless, security, and college. There are some things that weren't so great but overall it was a great way to break into the IT field. I actually separated less than a week ago and have a pretty good job lined up.
  • BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I had zero documented experience and zero certs and landed a level 2 desktop job for a medium sized regional bank. I reached out to the VP of IT and asked for a few minutes of his time and for some advice. When he brought me in we talked for a few minutes and he told me they had an opening and basically offered me the job on the spot.

he said he liked my soft skills and my willingness to reach out to him. Said it showed initiative.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • geekgirl74geekgirl74 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Right place, right time. I had my my BSIT but nothing more than database trainer/user side experience in an administrative position. My desire to learn and the company I work for filling a position that allowed me the time to learn hands-on got me in. And I love every second of my job.