Options

network warrior?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I hear that there is a networking book out there by the oreilly press and its supposed to be an amazing read. I also heard that everyone thats into networking should have it.

Is this the book?

Comments

• Options
    Basically the book is said to be about networking but a great read with real world situations and humor.... not dry and extreme tech only
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best.....Network.....Book

Ever!
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    I dont know if its for me. Im in school for network security. He has a security warrior one too.

Ill be taking my ccna this year. Maybe ill pick up the book just for reading.
  • Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Jasiono wrote: »
    I dont know if its for me. Im in school for network security. He has a security warrior one too.

Ill be taking my ccna this year. Maybe ill pick up the book just for reading.

Security Warrior is a different author. Gary has written Network Warrior 1st and 2nd editions and Arista Warrior. He is a member at a guitar member forum I post at and a really nice guy. He critiqued and gave me pointers for my résumé years ago.

Has an entertaining blog here: Gary A. Donahue (GAD): Home
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I had to skim a few pages in Network Warrior this morning to refresh my CCNA knowledge for an interview today. You can't go wrong with this book. The author got a great sense of humor. He likes to tease about engineers being on the hot seat when screwing up the network and would give great examples. Roughly the first half of the book has mostly the information you would find in your CCNA materials, but he covered more stuffs that you'd see in production rather than theoretical stuff discussed in the CCNA materials.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Best 30 bucks you can spend on your network career!

Network Warrior: Gary A. Donahue: 9781449387860: Amazon.com: Books
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    STRONG buy recommendation.

It has strong practical uses.

It dips into Firewalls, QoS, Nexus, etc. You SERIOUSLY cannot go wrong with this book.

Check out the table of contents:

Network Warrior, 2nd Edition - O'Reilly Media

If you've just done CCNA, it will give you a MUCH broader perspective.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    I'll order it tomorrow then :D
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I have the newest edition and while I have to admit I have not read it cover to cover , my impression is that it is not SUPER technical but its a good read written by a guy who has obviously not only made a career of writing books but actually worked on enterprise networks.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its very technical to the point of getting the point across and getting the job done. He doesnt type 5 pgs of theory like a manual or cisco press books.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    DevNRGDevNRG Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't skim this book. Treat it just like your regular study material and you'll inherit the info that the title bouts. Worth every penny.

P.S. Double check and make sure to get the updated version that includes Nexus !
  • Options
    I just ordered the updated one with nexus. I'm starting my CCNA studies in about 3 months and ill read this as well. I looked at a couple of pages and it seems very good.