Options

What do you think about this?

chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just got a job offer(i created a thread about the hr agency handling the process) today i had the 3rd interview which seems to be the final one after meeting their staff and after having a nice conversation with the manager i realized that if i take the job i'll be doing almost nothing.

They have a few projects to complete for this year and i have to make sure that actually happens ontime, the projects are very easy (the technical part at least) the staff is highly qualified so i shouldn't have to worry about getting my hands dirty , the company is very stable but the projects are small and easy(at least for me) but they offered me more money not a sustancial/juicy increase but a descent one. I did the math and i feel that in a few months i'll be just seating on my desk checking Techexams and facebook lol.

I know is a very personal matter and is up to me but let's forget about me for a moment, would you take a position where you know you'll be making some money but you''ll be just hanging around the office and checking the email and working 50% of the time.

I'm so used to work a lot and to have a lot of responsibilites and things to handle that this sounds weird/extrange/unusual for me hahaha, i guess the human bean is hard to please if we have to work a lot we complain about it if we have a light workload we get bored and complain hahahaha.

I usually don't mind to have very complex task to handle and work under pressure and have a team to manage, is just that this is the first time that somebody offers me such an "easy" job so i'm not used. You get paid better by taking more responsibilites and working harder not the other way around lol. I can use the spare time to study i know but i just don't feel is OK.

What do you think or what would you do?

Comments

• Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are a lot of ways to look at it and things to consider. For me, here is how I would look at it.

1. Does this help me in my long term goals? ie develop a skill I need, help open other doors in the future.

2. Does the company offer room to grow into other positions?

3. How am I financially? Do I really need the extra money?

4. Is it enough of a challenge to grow?

5. Could there be more to the position than what you are seeing?

I recently interviewed for a position that didn't end up matching my goals. It would have paid more, been for a fantastic organization and offered plenty of room to grow, but it would have slowed down my goals. The hiring manager and I mutually agreed this wasn't the right position for me.

Based on what you have said this position sounds like a project management type role. Does that help you towards your goals? While you are working in that role would other skills go stagnant?

Personally, I couldn't handle a boring job. I figit too much and would just go nuts.

Let us know how it goes.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    Point #1 made me think about the position, i think my future is what i need to take into consideration to make a decision.

A few hours ago I was thinking, am i stupid or what? get paid more and work less its no brainer but now i think this could have a side effect in the long run.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    If you have other education/certification goals you need to work on, this allows time for that.

Also, it allows time to optimize things, if you're not under the constant pressure to be "doing something". Those optimizations would be good experience.

Look on the bright side.

Hope this helps.

Of course, if this job in no way helps you get to where you want to be, then question it. (However, I doubt that is the case.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    If you have certs or degrees you want to obtain, then this job could allow a lot of time to study. Also check to see if they are willing to pay/reimburse for training. If so, then that would be a great combo, time to study and obtain education/certs and doing it on their dime.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keener pretty much nailed it. Only this I would add is:

Are there people you can learn from? Having a "mentor" is a very useful thing.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    I'll be the only one in the office.

I'm kind of lucky lately, i just got an offer from juniper to start on their TAC soon if i take it i'll be the 2nd engineer hired of a group of 5 to start operations. This sounds more challenging off course but i'll be working as a techie again, i need to clear up my mind.

Description: You will be providing service to premium customers on all M-Series, T-Series and MX Series devices.

I have never worked with juniper before i haven't worked just as a techie in a long time. i'll schedule a meeting with my pillow to get an advice.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JTAC would involve not just tech, but also high-pressure, some unpredictability in your schedule, and customer service. Of course, it would also be technically challenging, and fun if you enjoy such a challenge! I'm tempted whenever Juniper makes me an offer. :)
  • Options
    The only way that would make me work for JTAC would be if i can make a carreer with a JNCIE and if they pay for it otherwise i won't even take it into consideration.
    I'll do my research later on today.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chmod wrote: »
    The only way that would make me work for JTAC would be if i can make a carreer with a JNCIE and if they pay for it otherwise i won't even take it into consideration.
    I'm sure they would. Just about every company offers to reimburse passed exam and reasonable textbook costs. If you mean those $3500/week courses, I would expect fewer of those, especially when there's no direct business justification. I've been told by some employers that they can't guarantee training courses due to HR, but they could pay me an extra $10,000! Equivalence. :)
  • Options
    xzaxza Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know this doesn't contribute to the discussion but perhaps you should enroll in an English class

EDIT: Someone asked me why I would bother posting this. It's simple, I'd like to know if it was me.