Options

Uploading a Cisco Packet Tracer save to help troubleshoot a problem

Emissary_of_PainEmissary_of_Pain Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Day, Is it possible to upload a PKT file (cisco packet tracer) to this thread so that someone can have a look at it and explain to me why I cannot ping to of the subnets on the network ... (without the file it may be a pretty hard thing to explain)

I have tried attaching the file but it is an invalid file type.

All information would be greatly appreciated.
Regards.

Comments

• Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe most users upload their .PKT to a file sharing site like 4shared or others, then paste the link to it here.

hth
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess you can compress it to .rar or .zip and then upload it here..
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    Lets see if anyone is willing to help me out ...

The problem is with "Network 1" where the 2 subnets cannot be pinged from the central/outer routers

First Time - Download - 4shared - Anony Mous
  • Options
    mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just spent 10 minutes going through router and switch configs. You forgot to add the .5.1 router as a default gateway for your hosts. The packets were hitting your hosts but they didn't know a way back to the router.

Try throwing 192.168.5.1 as the gateway for your hosts and tell me if that fixes it :)
  • Options
    Also, PT is pretty obnoxious about recognizing hosts, so I try to keep a ping -t x.x.x.x (persistent) going from one to generate traffic. Sometimes it takes forever to notice that you have a host-PC with that IP address and pings may fail 10 times before they start working.

That's just a trick I picked up, though, wasn't really relevant to your problem.
  • Options
    mdomino wrote: »
    Just spent 10 minutes going through router and switch configs. You forgot to add the .5.1 router as a default gateway for your hosts. The packets were hitting your hosts but they didn't know a way back to the router.

Try throwing 192.168.5.1 as the gateway for your hosts and tell me if that fixes it :)

I did it quickly and it still fails ... I think that I need to configure the switches ... I am used to using 2960 switches which work straight out but these are generic switches (no config) ... could that be the problem ?
  • Options
    As I'm troubleshooting it again, I see a difference.

The PCs on 192.168.5.0/27 can all access the router by adding a default gateway to the host configuration (the menu for the PC itself, not the router)
    The PCs on 192.168.5.32/27 can NOT access the 192.168.5.1 router just by adding a gateway. Subnet 5.32/27 (Spares) can't access the router because they are not on the same subnet as the 192.168.5.1 network, so they are unable to access it.

You could do a few things here, that I can think of:
    1. Add a router in place of Switch2 to switch between the 5.0/27 and 5.32/27 subnets
    2. Change it to e a /26 subnet to house both networks on the same subnet
    3. Trying something else before I promise it'll work.
  • Options
    Ok, got it working. The other option was to configure your switches to use VLANs and then add subinterfaces on the routers. I've attached my version that lets all the routers ping all the PCs, tell me if you have any questions.

I added a VLAN10 to each of the applicable switches and then added subinterface fa0/0.10 to your router. This is the easiest way, without adding hardware, that I know of to connect two subnets. I also added the gateways to each of the PCs and made sure they work on all of the routers, so give it a shot and do some "show run" and "show vlan" to see what I've done.

BTW do a ping -t x.x.x.x from the PC and let it run before you freak out about not being able to ping stuff. The PT program is annoying about how long it takes to notice something is in or respond to an ARP.

first time(fix) - Download - 4shared - Matt Domino
  • Options
    Just going out quick and then I will have a look at your version ...

Thanks so much for the help ... You will never understand just how much I appreciate it...

I was quite happy with the work I did do on that specific network though considering I have only been doing CCNA about 2 months ... icon_tongue.gif

Once again thanks ! ...

+Rep