Options

How long does it realistically take to adjust to a new job?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I realize there are a bunch of variables that can come into play.

Lets set the parameters to a relatively new position. SA to Networking or Developer to Project Manager.

Something in the same space but a totally different role.

I was thinking within 1 month you should be pretty good to go and 3 months you should be doing really well.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would agree with that time frame.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, I think it would all depend if you're moving to a new position within the same company or a new one. Their training and documentation would be crucial, and clearly defined expectations of your job role/responsibilities to really feel comfortable in a position.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it depends a lot on the org. If it's set up well enough, you can be good in less than a month and doing well in less than three. If it's not, it might take longer. I would say those numbers are average, or expected.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is perfect timing,

I'm at Month 3 of my new job.

I feel very confident in my scope of abilities, responsibilities and "have the flow" nailed down well enough to surprise my boss weekly.

Month 1 you barely feel comfortable
    Month 3 you are at work.
    Month 6 you are your work.
    Month 12 no sleep only work
    Year 2, 3 or 4 ... no raise no challenge got comfortable new work icon_twisted.gif
    :twisted:
  • Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd agree with the 3 month estimate. Sometimes it depends on the move as well, like to like is an easier transition. And most places don't really have ideal documentation practices, which can add additional challenges.
  • Options
    Darkerz funny you mention it, I am in my 3rd week and don't feel very comfortable. I feel more comfortable than I did week 1 and 2 so........

I've just found it usually for me the 3 month mark is usually when it really starts to roll. And 1 month you are a value add but still green. (This is assuming the organization has light processes and documentation)
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    5-6 month. At least that how it is here.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    justinbreedjustinbreed Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depends greatly on the work-center and those training you.

I wouldn't trust someone who hasn't proved they FULLY understand the network before giving them priv15 on our backbone devices or firewalls.

-Maintain the network for $200M UAVs that supports missions around the globe
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would have normally sald a 2 to 4 weeks, but my new position (Consulting) requires you to literally show up to a customer site and hit the ground running. It's technically the same job, but it's a 100% new environment, new people, new area, and even new technology- so it might as well be a new job. I arrived on monday this week, and as of right now I've almost got a handle on the entire environment, and a good idea of who's who. By friday I should be pretty settled in, which puts me at about 4 1/2 days with this customer.

So with my recent experience over the last 6 months, my new answer is 1-2 weeks for your average position.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow 1-2 weeks lol. Fast learner MRock ;)

For the typical person i would say 3-6 months.

I have seen some places provide zero training and people have took a lot longer as a result.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am on 5 weeks, I think that the size and how well it was put together and if the whole unit is currently undergoing and upgrade or move all come into play. Are you talking 50 pc's or 5000, my agency has over, god I don't even know how many routers, switches, firewalls, we have. Ontop all of that you get , multiple newhire tasks, some outdated tasks, IP's that are dead, I was working and being given projects, and tasks from week 1, and training but I think it will be a year, before I know my way around everything and it will be about 3 years before I can put my feet up on the desk.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    This thread makes me feel a lot better. I thought I was slow in adjustment when it took me about 1.5 weeks to adjust. I dismissed my inadequacies though because I wasn't provided any training; therefore, I thought that time frame was acceptable.

After reading this thread I feel great though lol.
  • Options
    nel wrote: »
    wow 1-2 weeks lol. Fast learner MRock ;)

For the typical person i would say 3-6 months.

Bear in mind when I say 1-2 weeks I'm assuming you can accomplish 99% of the duties of everyone there. If you're hired as a CCNP for example, in a position that requires a CCNP, then you SHOULD have proficiency in most of the areas, it'll just be a matter of learning the "lay of the land" so to speak. Of course someone who's been there longer will know more, but that's always the case :)
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    To me, 3-6 months sounds like an insane amount of time needed to adjust to a new job unless you had absolutely no background in what you were working with.

This proves the point that each person is different though.
  • Options
    I agree it depends on the role. Like Xyro mentioned if you have 0 experience 3 - 6 months is probably realistic where as if you are a CCNP and have been networking for 5 years then 1 month might be enough.

Also you have to figure in the processes, maturity of the organization, leadership, etc.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Xyro wrote: »
    To me, 3-6 months sounds like an insane amount of time needed to adjust to a new job unless you had absolutely no background in what you were working with.

This proves the point that each person is different though.

Bureaucracy can have a lot to do with it.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    3-6 months... I usually start feeling comfortable 8+weeks in, but there are scenario's where its much more.
  • Options
    One thing to consider is, what type of roles are we talking about? If you've got experience and you're making a lateral move, you won't require much time. If you don't have experience and you're moving up to a more challenging role..it will take longer. Neither is better, just different.
  • Options
    Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    N2IT wrote: »
    I realize there are a bunch of variables that can come into play.

Lets set the parameters to a relatively new position. SA to Networking or Developer to Project Manager.

Something in the same space but a totally different role.

I was thinking within 1 month you should be pretty good to go and 3 months you should be doing really well.

Thoughts?

I really think it depends on how long you were at your previous job. I'm 5months in at my current job and I am still adjusting I was at my previous job almost 5years.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It usually takes me about 3 months to where I am barely asking for help and to feel "comfortable".
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Bear in mind when I say 1-2 weeks I'm assuming you can accomplish 99% of the duties of everyone there. If you're hired as a CCNP for example, in a position that requires a CCNP, then you SHOULD have proficiency in most of the areas, it'll just be a matter of learning the "lay of the land" so to speak. Of course someone who's been there longer will know more, but that's always the case :)

I think its much easier to hit the ground running when we are talking Vendor specific tasks like being called in to work with Cisco/VMWare/Citrix/SQL etc.

A lot of sysadmin jobs requiring you to maintain and touch multiple vendors applications and most people are hired because they have experience with 60-70% of the applications, rarely is someone hired in to a generic sysadmin role who knows all of the applications. In these instances I would say 2-3 months is not uncommon and it may be 6 months before you can fully say you are comfortable with everything. It just depends on how frequently you have to work with each application.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    True, but no position I've held...ever, was ONLY cisco, they've all been in a multi-vendor environment.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just started my new job as an associate security consultant on Tuesday. It is a pretty intense environment with multiple ongoing projects at any given time, and that's not something I'm used to. Many of the technologies I'll be expected to work with I have almost none to no experience with. I think it will be a good 6 months before I'm really comfortable here, and I could see myself staying and learning and growing with this company for years.