Options

Working for nuclear power facility - any advice?

RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
Great opportunity came up that will land me in nuclear power work, primarily in technical aspects of InfoSec. I have quite a bit of compliance background with HIPAA, PCI, etc, so I'm confident I can get comfortable in the compliance/regulation aspects sooner-than-later, but this industry will be a new adjustment for me.

Does anyone have advice on how to ramp up for this type of work or what soft-skill areas I may need to pay extra attention to? There's a lot of non-IT info out there on the net, but wanted to find out more information coming from a technical background. I was told specifically technical aptitude is what they desire most out of this position, not an auditor-based only kind of role, so I'm a great fit with my background. This would be a 1-2 year role for me, at least as far as I what I know now, so that may influence my approach to it as well.

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Lead-lined underwear.

Just sayin.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in the Navy, stationed on submarines which are all Nuclear. Only thing I can advise is that you pay attention to where you are, don't wonder into places you shouldn't go. If they require you to wear a TLD or any other monitoring device, keep it on you at all times, and in front of your person. Though I would imagine you will only be have to worry about your specific job role and not worry to much about the Nuclear side of things.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've been told the frown upon these:

no_more_nuclear_plants_t_shirt-r8657e6cfc60948249ec6c015f5b0e1fe_804gg_216.jpg

icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    mikemc90mikemc90 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DIACAP might be worth taking a look at. I am sure they have something very similar to it.
    BS Information Systems Security
    Currently working on MS Information Security and Assurance
  • Options
    jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    Might want to take a look at NERC CIP and see if the NRC has anything publicly available.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it located in Springfield by any chance?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Don't bring your work home with you. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As mentioned, NERC CIP will be your friend (or not!) :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Nice one guys, made my day.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. Laughter is also greatly appreciated :)
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    It can't be that hard if Homer Simpson can maintain a job at one for 20+ years. Have fun!
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds pretty fun. One simple rule: radiation of all sorts loses half of its power as you double your distance from it.

Also, potassium is also radioactive, so don't get bent out of shape... just take the precautions seriously and do your job to the best of anyone's abilities, please :)

That sounds pretty fun. Can you say the region you will be working? I have been considering a move into the energy section at some point and have been looking at operations of the TVA.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    Sounds pretty fun. One simple rule: radiation of all sorts loses half of its power as you double your distance from it.

Also, potassium is also radioactive, so don't get bent out of shape... just take the precautions seriously and do your job to the best of anyone's abilities, please :)

That sounds pretty fun. Can you say the region you will be working? I have been considering a move into the energy section at some point and have been looking at operations of the TVA.

I'm in the Great Lakes region, or region III per the NRC. From looking a map of the facilities, there are a lot of locations east of the Mississippi, even more the further you go east. I'm not going to be working directly for the facility, but through a local company that has a very good relationship with the power company running it. I might be there for up to two years initially and perhaps on-board longer, however, this company also has a lot of ties with other organizations I'd like to work for at some point. I'm very likely to be put in different projects across their portfolio, based on how things play out. For me it's going to be like working for many companies without the risk or hassle of working for each one directly. I've been at the same employer for over a decade now, so for me, getting out and about with new experiences is a very welcomed situation from where I was. Trying to get in direct at the power company would be a great challenge, especially considering these kinds of positions (at this specific facility) likely never make it to a direct hire listing due to the established business relationships.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    One simple rule: radiation of all sorts loses half of its power as you double your distance from it.

The exposure rate varies inversely with the square of the distance from the source of radiation. So, theoretically, it will lose three-quarters of its strength as you double the distance from the source. :D
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    The exposure rate varies inversely with the square of the distance from the source of radiation. So, theoretically, it will lose three-quarters of its strength as you double the distance from the source. :D

No theory, fact; although it is more conventional to say it is 1/4 the strength at twice the distance.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    No theory, fact; although it is more conventional to say it is 1/4 the strength at twice the distance.

LOL @PurpleIT - it's "theoretical" because it only holds for a point source that is an isotropic radiator. A spatially extended source has a more complex exposure pattern although most sources of radiation can be considered point sources over distances that are large in comparison to the dimensions of the source.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    You guys need to take this to PM's...you are making feel so stupid :)
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU