IT Apprenticeship?

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Is anyone familiar with any IT Apprenticeship programs? Either DOL registered or not? We've all heard of internships, but I honestly don't know how many of those exist, or are not for college students only.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Internship/student type of programs are just like any gov't GS based job. Sometimes it's difficult to get into to, even if you have military preference. If you are out of college, internships and even paid ones are sometimes hard to find. I've seen a lot of big name companies that will have internships (sometimes paid...other times not), and with them they tend to pick the "top of the list" with those.

I'm going to assume that you are looking to get your "feet wet" and maybe getting out of the Army soon? If I'm correct, you'll fall into the same boat most people that are separating or retiring...gotta start at the bottom.

Is there something specific your looking for?
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Would be nice, but usually boils down to the job listing itself. I could probably count on one hand how many times I've seen an IT job with an up front "apprentice" type description.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    IT type work its hard to find an apprenticeship. Cisco has a program I think that is sort of similar.

Programming its much more common.

I don't think internships will ever be too common with Sys Admin type work. By the time someone trusts you enough to give you the kind of power you need to do anything and you learn the infrastructure the internship will be over.

Some DoD agencies, including one I used to work for, did have internships but all the inters did was patch servers.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • psiebertpsiebert Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I happened upon one by complete chance. The best way to find one is through networking, smaller companies are generally more accepting of non-traditional apprenticeship
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're attending a reputable college, they certainly exist. I've seen college interns hired at companies I've worked for on-and-off. Those jobs typically aren't apprenticeships so much as off-loading less fun or lower-priority tasks, but it's experience and references. I have a family friend who snapped up an internship earlier this year. She has high marks, which does help.

Sorry, I've never seen an internship granted at my companies except to college students.