Options

Just curious, does anyone know how much CompUSA or Best Buy

chris2wirechris2wire Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Yeah, does anyone have experience on what their pay is for PC technician or maybe that best buy geek squad pay?

I have Networking and Linux cert through local community college, as well as an AA in general studies, and will be done with A+ in a week, so I really need to get my foot in the door and start getting some experiance so im ready when I get my bachelors. ya know?

Anyways, how much do they pay...

Comments

• Options
    Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worked for BestBuy geek squad last year in November, I started out at 11/hr in Sacramento,CA......good luck working there, haha icon_mad.gif
  • Options
    chris2wirechris2wire Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    waht do you mean by that? what was bad about it
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would say between $8.50 & $10.00 an hour...Depending on where you live.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Here in SoCal a PC tech can expect to make $10-$15 depending on experience having an A+, MCSE, CNE, knowing wireless, etc. The HTI techs may get upwards of $20 or more if they are also electrical contractors.
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Compusa & Best buy are a joke, I applied to Compusa about 3 times and never got anywhere...

I applied to Best Buy and the guy said yeah I'll call you back and then he didn't, I went back to the store and asked him again and he was like i said I was going to call you I haven't had a chance... No phone call what so ever... I only wanted to work there part-time for extra cash, I already work full-time.... I spoke to the guy behind the service desk for Compusa and he didn't even have A+ and he was behind there working...

I am more than certified to work there, and I have more than enough experience to work there, I gave up after that.... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    D-boy wrote:
    I only wanted to work there part-time for extra cash, I already work full-time....

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work now in where you need to get another job for extra cash?
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work on a helpdesk in MI for $32,000 a year... Let’s just say I have a champagne taste on a beer budget! icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a follow up question to yours. My friend works at Wal-Mart as a sales associate. He got his associates degree a few years ago but never pursued a job once he got it. He finally decided to change jobs but his degree is kind of old. He is studying for A+ now but I have a feeling that he will have a hard time moving into the industry even with the certification.

Do you think that CompUSA would be a step up for him that might eventually move him towards an entry level job in IT? He would like to work in help desk immediately but I do not know if that is possible. I am just looking for the best advice to give him. Working at CompUSA would earn him less money because he is making $12-$13 per hour at Wal-Mart. The only justification for changing jobs would be to have better work experience on his resume.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I worked in CompUSA Tech shop for a while. In Alabama they were paying $9.00 a hour.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    brluwibrluwi Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I received A+ cert few months ago. I started at best buy in Dayton Ohio for $10.00, which isnt to bad for entry level around here. When the interviewer found out I was A+ she seemed to act as if that would be adequate for the geek squad position
  • Options
    xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    I just started working with the Geek Squad at a local Best Buy. College is starting and I need part-time work and a paycheck.

I got hired without any experience whatsoever due to my certifications. They told me after the fact that they prefer you to have customer service experience either as a floor salesman or at another job. The reason being 80% of the job is customer service. You have to explain to a customer what is wrong with their computer and what you are going to do to fix it.

Geek Squad services are EXTREMELY expensive. It costs over $200 for an in home OS service or wireless network setup! I've been told 83% of what they charge goes straight into Best Buy's pockets!

We also have to handle cameras, camcorders, TV's, stereo equipment, and even vacuums! These items are shipped to the manufacturer to be serviced, but Geek Squad is the department that handles them nonetheless.

It is definately a strange marriage between a PC tech bench and a customer service/sales department. Geek Squad agents are considered salesmen as well and required to sell Best Buy products and services.

I guess you can tell from this post that being part of the Geek Squad isn't quite as glamorous as they make it seem in the commercials. But for a foot in the door I guess it suffices.
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I work geeksquad as well! As you can tell from my icon! I have learned many things their as well as increasing my communication skills and management skills. My pay is $9.55 hr and the customers are a killer. They want everything for free because out service are so expensive $$.
    I was hired because i had a+ and Network + at the time, they didn't even look at my associates degree. Overall our responsibilites are very heavy, meaning we handle so many things...cameras, tv's which is not fun. Anyways my co workers are great and we all help each other learn new things :D .