CEH

and go!
On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
Scheduled for: Unscheduled
Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs

Comments

• Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Heres the thing with that. You really cant classfy any of them on a scale like that. Its compltly subjective. Lets say Im really good at security concepts. I would rate that easiest however the dude next to me struggles with it, he would put it hardest. So instead lets look at it this way. CEH requires come knowledge of Security policies and some knownledge of networks so logically we would put it like this:

CEH > S+, N+
    CCNA > N+
    S+ = N+ = Linux+
    RHCSA = Linux+

We don't know what you would be good at so we cant really say whats easiest or hardest the easiest way for you to figure that out is simply take the A+, N+ and S+ and see what flows into you better and that would give you your answer. Where you = the 100% newb with no prior knowlede you're referring to.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    S+ = N+ = Linux+

Linux+ > Network+ > OR = Security+

Linux+ requires command knowledge (Cron Jobs, for example) which the other two don't.

Security+ can be reasoned out, and so much of it is common sense by comparison to the N+

N+ requires some sort of networking knowledge.

CCNA > CEH

Just my $.02
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have not taken all of these being I am focused on the Microsoft side of things so this is what I assume based off of what I have read or heard from other people

RHCSA >= CCNA > CEH >= Linux+ >= Security+ > Network+
  • Options
    Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RHCSA I'm in my 3rd of 5 Linux classes to prep you for the exam and I can tell you (just me and my opinion) the course has been as exciting as watching paint dry. :) So... this would be the hardest exam for me to get through as I'm just not in to the Linux side of things.

CCNA was a big challenge... and I like Cisco.
    The others I can't comment on... .working towards CCNAS... thinking it would be more of a challenge than security + could be wrong.

Hatch
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen a lot of enterprise organization jobs looking for Windows 7 certs lately. If you are 100% new to tech you may want to look there to get a leg up toward help desk. That said my first exam was Net+.

If you're looking/more likely to get a job in a SMB you may get a lot more traction with CCENT/CCNA though. I know how valuable our Cisco guy is to us. You would also get more room to play and be a big fish.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    You're comparing different categories, you can't do that.

For example, I don't know why people compare Net+ and CCENT/CCNA but that's like comparing apples to oranges. Net+ and CCENT/CCNA are totally different worlds and have totally different target audience. Net+ teaches you general networking, CCENT/CCNA teaches you to work with CISCO equipment. If you want to configure routers you need to know a little something about networks. That's like comparing automobiles in general and BMW. Net+ would teach you about cars in general, while CCENT/CCNA would be a BMW manual. Do you see my point here?

You need to work hard for whatever you're studying for. Some people have some ground for certain topic, others don't, so it will always be easier for some people and not all find themselves in the same technologies as others and you always learn faster doing something you love. So what's harder, this or that? The question should be asked with more parameters, incorrectly asked question will get misleading answer and you can build a totally incorrect image about something.

Assuming no prior knowledge is not enough. People get born without prior knowledge and yet we all find different things to be differently difficult. We're not all the same and we get around certain things faster than with others.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'd have to disagree with you. The CCENT and Network+ material are very very similar. The only difference is that the CCENT adds to what is being taught on the N+ by adding some basic theory and command line but the whole beginning part of the curriculum is what's taught in N+. I think the only difference is that N+ has a section on network security but if you keep going through CCNA-level exams (Security), you learn the same material but with much more granular detail.

I think in terms of realms, it's pretty accurate to compare exams such as: Network+ is much easier than the CCENT because the N+ is a bunch of very general concepts without any application. They aren't totally different worlds. One is just more specific than the other and focuses on a vendor's technology but overall, they're both networking and they both spend a great deal of time on theory.

Comparing the A+ to the CEH would be apples and oranges though :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To me, a certification with absolutely zero experience is not worth much, so they're all equal. I've made it a point to ONLY get certified if I've touched that technology in production environments- it means less certifications but more meaningful ones.

BTW, I'm not suggesting you should get certified if you have no experience, but rather that there's no "best" cert when you have no experience. Get one, get an entry level job, then gain experience and pick where you want to go from there.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with Mrock

You'll need some experience to get value out of those certifications. I think with no skills picking up one CompTIA would be a decent idea. If you like security or want to work for the DOD then security +. If you want to get into networking CCENT or Network + would be decent. If you like desktops and laptops/fixing computers A+.

Redhat and the CCNA are probably best for people who have some IT experience. Again this is just my opinion.

I wouldn't get caught up in the cert rat race, one or two well placed certifications can get you all you need.

TB made a good point about the Windows certifications. A+ isn't asked for as much as it once was. Now it's Windows 7 certification especially with so many Win 7 deployment/migrations.

If you are a complete noob and love to "geek" out I would consider Linux +. It's fun and you get to learn the Linux OS. It doesn't get much better than that. That's just me though.
  • Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I'd have to disagree with you. The CCENT and Network+ material are very very similar. The only difference is that the CCENT adds to what is being taught on the N+ by adding some basic theory and command line but the whole beginning part of the curriculum is what's taught in N+. I think the only difference is that N+ has a section on network security but if you keep going through CCNA-level exams (Security), you learn the same material but with much more granular detail.

I think in terms of realms, it's pretty accurate to compare exams such as: Network+ is much easier than the CCENT because the N+ is a bunch of very general concepts without any application. They aren't totally different worlds. One is just more specific than the other and focuses on a vendor's technology but overall, they're both networking and they both spend a great deal of time on theory.

Comparing the A+ to the CEH would be apples and oranges though :P

I don't find Net+ and CCENT the same at all, similar at best. How can you say Net+ is much easier than CCENT? I don't get it, Net+ is very broad and goes into general networking and covers much much much more material than CCENT which is vendor specific and goes into networking only for the sake of covering it and immediately goes into labbing, not to mention it's only a part of a certificate while Net+ is a complete certificate. Also, simple and easy are not the same. While Net+ is simple it's not easy at all.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    In reality, "easy" is a subjective term. When I was 6 months into my first IT job with zero network experience, I passed the Network+ with a score of 900/900 with three weeks of studying. It was a lot of memorization with zero application so I found it easy.
    When I finished my CCENT, I had been working in IT for several years, had a home lab, and studied for 1.5-2 months straight. I passed with a score in the 800's.
    Most CompTIA exams are for IT beginners and there's nothing wrong with that but there's a different level of where the average person is when they're going for the N+ vs CCNA/CCENT. One you can pass without ever touching a simulator or knowing how to even apply the knowledge in the real work and the other requires understanding of both theory and application. They are similar to each other because they share about 70-75% of the same objectives that you need to understand in order to pass, they both center around networking, etc but there are key differences as you stated: application vs. general understanding. That's why I think CCENT is a bit more difficult than the N+ - You need to understand most of the same protocols and theories but then you have to take it a step further and apply them.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Assuming 100% newbie with no prior knowledge of the technology

CCNA
    Security+
    Network+
    Linux+
    RHCSA
    CEH

and go!

From easiest to hardest....

Network+
    Linux+
    Security+
    RHCSA
    CEH
    CCNA

Just my thoughts on the subject.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Network+ vs. CCENT, this must all be based on individualized perspective.

I found the Network+ material more difficult than I'm finding the CCENT material. I've concluded the reason for that is because CCENT is merely a summarized & vendor-specific review of the Network+ material; whereas, when I covered the Network+ material it was all entirely new information.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I only took three exams out of this list, so I would range them in the following order:
    CCNA > Network+ > Security+.

CCNA isn't really that difficult if you have some networking experience. It actually took me longer to prepare for Network+ because I had no experience when I started. Security+ is just common sense. I remember thinking whether I should do it or not. I found a sample test and scored 75% without any reading.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    To me, a certification with absolutely zero experience is not worth much, so they're all equal. I've made it a point to ONLY get certified if I've touched that technology in production environments- it means less certifications but more meaningful ones. BTW, I'm not suggesting you should get certified if you have no experience, but rather that there's no "best" cert when you have no experience. Get one, get an entry level job, then gain experience and pick where you want to go from there.
    Very good advice. Although with a new technology that you're unfamiliar with, a certification can provide good motivation to learn something new that you wouldn't otherwise bother with.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    bryguy wrote: »
    ... Although with a new technology that you're unfamiliar with, a certification can provide good motivation to learn something new that you wouldn't otherwise bother with.
    A statement like this perplexes my mind. It's a new technology. Wouldn't the fact that it's new be enough motivation to learn it??

It could be perhaps that each individual is distinct concerning this. Having to become certified after I study material is what I find more tedious. I have a much greater motivation to study when I know that I don't have to sit for an exam after completion of covering the material.
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    How about Microsoft server and exchange certs?
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's an easy question

:)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Network+
    security+
    Linux+

Haven't taken any of the others.
  • Options
    Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Heres the thing with that. You really cant classfy any of them on a scale like that. Its compltly subjective. Lets say Im really good at security concepts. I would rate that easiest however the dude next to me struggles with it, he would put it hardest. So instead lets look at it this way. CEH requires come knowledge of Security policies and some knownledge of networks so logically we would put it like this:

CEH > S+, N+
    CCNA > N+
    S+ = N+ = Linux+
    RHCSA = Linux+

We don't know what you would be good at so we cant really say whats easiest or hardest the easiest way for you to figure that out is simply take the A+, N+ and S+ and see what flows into you better and that would give you your answer. Where you = the 100% newb with no prior knowlede you're referring to.

so according to you

CCNA > Linux+=RCHSA=N+=S+
    CEH > Linux+=RCHSA=N+=S+
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    To me, a certification with absolutely zero experience is not worth much, so they're all equal. I've made it a point to ONLY get certified if I've touched that technology in production environments- it means less certifications but more meaningful ones.

BTW, I'm not suggesting you should get certified if you have no experience, but rather that there's no "best" cert when you have no experience. Get one, get an entry level job, then gain experience and pick where you want to go from there.

nobody said anything about worth. purely difficulty.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Agree with Mrock

You'll need some experience to get value out of those certifications. I think with no skills picking up one CompTIA would be a decent idea. If you like security or want to work for the DOD then security +. If you want to get into networking CCENT or Network + would be decent. If you like desktops and laptops/fixing computers A+.

Redhat and the CCNA are probably best for people who have some IT experience. Again this is just my opinion.

I wouldn't get caught up in the cert rat race, one or two well placed certifications can get you all you need.

TB made a good point about the Windows certifications. A+ isn't asked for as much as it once was. Now it's Windows 7 certification especially with so many Win 7 deployment/migrations.

If you are a complete noob and love to "geek" out I would consider Linux +. It's fun and you get to learn the Linux OS. It doesn't get much better than that. That's just me though.

again, nobody said anything about the value of the cert, just difficulty.
    linuxlover wrote: »
    I don't find Net+ and CCENT the same at all, similar at best. How can you say Net+ is much easier than CCENT? I don't get it, Net+ is very broad and goes into general networking and covers much much much more material than CCENT which is vendor specific and goes into networking only for the sake of covering it and immediately goes into labbing, not to mention it's only a part of a certificate while Net+ is a complete certificate. Also, simple and easy are not the same. While Net+ is simple it's not easy at all.
    I don't think whether or not an exam is "part" of a cert makes it any less difficult. Example: CCNP:route is 1/3 o f the CCNP, doesn't mean it's easier than any other single test certs.
    GoodBishop wrote: »
    From easiest to hardest....

Network+
    Linux+
    Security+
    RHCSA
    CEH
    CCNA

Just my thoughts on the subject.
    I would think Security+ would be the easiest as it's mostly common sense.
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    Network+
    security+
    Linux+

Haven't taken any of the others.
    So Linux+ > Security+ > Network+?

Just to clarify for all you folks, I'm not somebody without any certs or experience. I just wanted to guage everyone's opinion on difficulty between these certs from a "green" perspective. I know we all find different things difficult, but doesn't mean that we can't come to some generic difficulty level between them.

ps: WHY IS THERE NO MULTI-QUOTE IN THIS FORUM?!
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, you asked people's inputs and you got em'. Sounds like you already have an idea of where you'd rank them.
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I would say RHCSA. all the rest are multiple question exams.