Options

Follow up to previous thread - earn less for working from home

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Well boss and I finally got together. Few weeks ago I had my review, and the company then had to debate as to what the raise should be, and if they would allow working from home (if so a reduced raise was a possibility).

The meeting was short. Raise will be 2k. No work from home option (they don't believe in it). Then the bombshell dropped. We were recently purchased fully by a foundation that was a 49% investor. With all their other holdings, they have decided to consolidate positions. No more IT for regional offices. Dont know when it will happen, but sometime this year you will be out of a job.

Time to rework the resume.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry to hear that.

What type of positions do you think you will look for? System Admin?

I transitioned into data analytics and it's been a good time.
  • Options
    Well Ive been a one man shop. Some sys admin, hw/sw support, VOIP support, help desk, heck even delivery of product to other offices in town (those leave early or come in late times help, lol). So I will see what is out there.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd start thinking about what you want to get into. Most likely you will be transitioning into a scoped in role so you may want to figure out what that might be. Either way good luck.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't even worry. There are so many jobs for generalists in the area, I doubt you'll have too much trouble. Tons of SMBs and MSPs and even bigger companies that aren't very siloed. Not that you can't always build on one area and go for something more specialized.

I think you'll look back in six months and see this as fortuitous. You will probably get more money doing something you like more, possibly with more WFH flexibility. Either way, good luck.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Time to update. After numerous phone interviews, and dealing with some not too above board recruiters (here, let us re-write your resume the way we like it and IF you get the position, you can pay for that service later - umm, NO!), I did receive a verbal offer this morning from one company I was very interested in. One phone interview with HR, then in person with three managers, and finally company president. It is a third shift support position, 11.5k bump in pay, gym on site, free snacks and drinks, cheaper insurance that I am paying now, closer to home. I'll fill out all their paperwork and have a projected start date of 5/6.

So less than a month since boss said position was being eliminated. Moral of the story - never give up!
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Awesome news! Keep us updated on how the new job goes.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the new position. Being proactive is very important in my opinion.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations. Sounds like a better gig.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the new gig!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's awesome news, congrats!
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! And, because I have to say it, I told you so!
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great news.. Congrats and glad to read it all came together.

Free snacks and drinks with a gym on site - hmmmm - I couldn't help chuckling at that.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Simply fantastic. Congrats!
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations, enjoy the new gig!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds excellent! Congrats!

Gym on site! Damn, if only! :D