Options

I envy you, new WGU BS:IT Security students!

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
About time they decided to replace the MCTS with the Linux+ exam! I'd expect more people to enroll in this track in the near future, and I'd love to help any prospective students with their Linux+ study.

Go see the WGU's webpage for proof.

Comments

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Do all the tracks cost around the same? minus the default IT with no extra certs?

If so I am in the process of enrolling and I think I may be pursing this route, i will have to take you up on this offer as im a linux newb
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    It looks like they haven't updated the program guide yet. I did a comparison of the old and current on the site and Linux+ still hasn't been added.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    Yes all IT tracks cost the same. My total for the semester was $3035.00 and it does include the first two vouchers for a technical exam.
  • Options
    Cool, thank you!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is a really neat change to the curriculum.
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    If so I am in the process of enrolling and I think I may be pursing this route, i will have to take you up on this offer as im a linux newb

Uh-oh. I just realize I shot myself in the foot when I made that offer. icon_lol.gif

JK, before I jump in and help everyone else, I believe you'll have the opportunity to use WGU's third-party learning resources to assist you with your Linux+ study. I believe you'll be using TestOut's LabSim to help you reinforce your learning once you're enrolled. This should be listed in the official PDF once WGU update it. I used TestOut for my CCNA, and it's pretty good, but I wouldn't count on it as my sole resource. It's always a good idea to have supplemental resources.
  • Options
    Is the ccna security difficult or just more information?
  • Options
    Its just more information. I found the CCNA Security to be pretty easy but I find security very interesting. Its the hobby I get to do for a living.
  • Options
    I'm afraid I can't comment on that as I took the 640-553 just before the new one is released, which doesn't have the ASA firewall included. To me, it was just additional information that I feel should be incorporated in the CCNA exam rather than a stand-alone extension exam. That's why I envy you guys more. If you have more questions that is not related to this thread, then please post it in the appropriate thread in the appropriate forum here at TE. You should redirect your question to this forum, TechExams's CCNA Security. I found this forum before I found WGU, so TE is a wonderful place to ask questions regarding IT certifications. The WGU thread in this forum is a nice luxury to have.
  • Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How often does WGU make changes to their curriculum? I plan on enrolling at WGU, would it be safe to say they may make more changes by then?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea when i was at commencement i talked to the guy in charge of classes i said the first thing that any sec person does is install linus so why not put it in the degree
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for posting, I just requested information on the program this morning.
  • Options
    YFZblu: Glad to know I was right that this program will attract more students. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I start on April 1st and I would love to get some Linux experience as I currently know absolutely nothing. I'll have to ask my counselor about this.
  • Options
    SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Makes me happy I didn't finish my enrollment just yet. I am waiting for my GI Bill info and to see what from my Army transcripts will transfer over.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i'm on the tail end of my degree at this point, so it wont' help me, but I have told my mentor numerous times they should get some Linux action...

glad to see them add this
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    I'm still getting started through everything, but looking at my degree plan I don't have any class correlating to Linux, I start on Apr 1st. I'll be kind of disappointed now, since I got my hopes up for it. I just got assigned my mentor so I'll have to ask about it.
  • Options
    TheAnimal,

I start the security track April 1st as well and I cant see a Linux class either. I have been told it wont appear until may. Microsoft is retiring alot of these exams this summer so they have to change it. So just dont pick those classes to start and you should be able to pick the the Linux class no problem.
  • Options
    btw theanimal I am stealing yout signature as well. :) I like your formatting
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828
    Wow, this is a great replacement. I'm sure that they got plenty of input about the lack of Linux in the program. I know that it was one of the items that I touched on after I graduated.

As far as how often they change classes: all the time. Too often, in my opinion. I think they should limit changes to once or twice a year and no more. They will either change a course name or learning aid or swap out classes altogether.

Now if they would just swap out one (or both) of the Java courses for a scripting language like Python, I think this track would be fully matured.

I do envy all you guys not having to take an MCTS exam. CompTIA is just nothing in comparison. However, my Win 7 cert has been quite impressive to every interviewer I have seen.
  • Options
    Bundiman wrote: »
    TheAnimal,

I start the security track April 1st as well and I cant see a Linux class either. I have been told it wont appear until may. Microsoft is retiring alot of these exams this summer so they have to change it. So just dont pick those classes to start and you should be able to pick the the Linux class no problem.
    Bundiman wrote: »
    btw theanimal I am stealing yout signature as well. :) I like your formatting

Haha no problem, I've seen a couple other members use formatting like this. I like it a tid bit more because the colors snazz it up a little lol. You've got quite a list of certs under your belt there, hope to be there someday.

And thanks a lot for the insight. I talk to my mentor this upcoming Thursday about all that so I'll be sure to make sure I push the Microsoft certs back.

I had some more questions that maybe you or someone else might be able to answer about the cerst. Somewhere, I believe on here, I read someone saying that the CCENT/CCNA certs were going to be changed soon? Is that true and if so what kind of time frame are we talking so I know where to plan those certs into everything. As well does anyone know which all MS certs are being retired? I've tried searching but can't seem to quite find a list. After comparing my course list with the wgu.edu BS IT cert list I don't see a class pertaining to either Linux or the MCTS.

However these two are not listed on WGU's cert page but are currently in my degree plan:
    DFV1 – Web Development Fundamentals – (Microsoft Web Development Fundamentals / exam 98-363)
    CSV1 – Operating Systems – (Microsoft Configuring Windows 7 / exam 70-680)

I'm just want to know which MS certs I should push back, and I guess I'm trying to figure out where the Linux+ is going to fit in to the degree plan.
  • Options

Retiring on July 31, 2013

70-620: TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client
    70-622: Pro: Microsoft Desktop Support – ENTERPRISE
    70-623: Pro: Microsoft Desktop Support – CONSUMER
    70-635: TS: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2008, Desktop Deployment
    70-660: TS: Windows Internals
    70-681: TS: Windows 7 and Office 2010, Deploying
    70-682: Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
    70-683: TS: Windows 7, Preinstalling for OEMs

Retiring on July 31, 2014

70-680: Windows 7, Configuring
    70-684: OEM Reseller
    70-685: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
    70-686: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator

here is the link to Microsoft's site where you can see all of the retired exams. Retired exams
  • Options

I think this is the cert that is being replaced by Linux+ and I am not sure about the other. I also have my first call with my mentor Thrusday. See seems nice enough through our email chats.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    theanimal wrote: »
    However these two are not listed on WGU's cert page but are currently in my degree plan:
    DFV1 – Web Development Fundamentals – (Microsoft Web Development Fundamentals / exam 98-363)

Microsoft Configuring Windows 7 is being replaced by Linux+ and the Microsoft Web Development Fundamentals exam is getting dropped. Not sure what it's being replaced with but the 98-363 exam was pretty ridiculous, I recommend waiting for the replacement if you can.