MCSE Server 2012 or Private Cloud?

jhk505jhk505 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Few questions regarding MCSE Server 2012 and Private cloud:

1. For employment, MCSE server 2012 more valued than private cloud?
2. I wanted to learn more about Microsoft Server to learn more about server infrastructure and find job related to network engineer/administrator. primarily interested in learning more about programmableflow (NEC standard openflow implemented in Server2012) does private cloud covers that topic? anyone have technet virtual lab setup for openflow implementation?
3. How much harder is MCSE certification for server 2012/private cloud compare to 70-410/411/412?

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the forums!

1. Depends on what you work with, certs alone aint going to get you much more. If you are targeting a cloud-based job, the Private Cloud holds more clout and a server admin job would make more sense with the MCSE 2012.

2. I dont think it does, maybe there's a mention in a place or two. Google around for lab setups.

3. Dont know what you mean because 410 + 411 + 412 + 413 + 414 = MCSE Server Infra 2012.

Get a cert which makes sense to your current role or intended roles. Dont just get one for the sake of it. It's your time, invest wisely.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • jhk505jhk505 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Essendon thank you for responding. for 3, I was asking whether 413 and 414 exams are way harder than 410,411,412 from someone who have already taken the exams. Just got MCSA 2012 and hoping to get some direction.

However, I would like to hear more elaborate response such as :

I work at xyz company as yxz position. (introduction but if you don't want to reveal yourself that's fine) In our company, we use windows servers with oracle database to provide SAP business intelligence withiin our company. We need more people with ??? skills and currently moving more toward private cloud infrastructure within our company.

I would like hear more detail and informative response and from someone who currently working in industry utilizing the window server technology along with other vendor products. What's the current movement within the company and if you already have private cloud or window server infrastructure MCSE, which certification you feel more important in current market.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The difference between Server Infrastructure and Private Cloud is System Center 2012. Private Cloud might look better for "cloud" jobs, but I would actually argue the Server Infrastructure material is more important for building a private cloud.

Anyway, the above should answer your question. If you haven't used System Center or SMS professionally, I would probably recommend looking at Server Infrastructure first. System Center is very much its own beast, and in my opinion harder to lab and self-study.

I definitely agree that you should really look at what you want to do. There are definitely positions that will use both or either, and I wouldn't say the industry is trending towards one or the other. IMO, however, truly being a Microsoft-platform private cloud "expert" would necessitate the advanced server infrastructure skills just as much as System Center, and as someone actually working with these technologies, I would recommend having both if you really want to pursue this type of work.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340