Options

Why do some people think you are fresh out of college?

itismylifeitismylife Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys,

Has this happened to anyone here?

I have being in IT for 4 years and I never went to college just worked in IT since I was 18.

People think I am fresh out of college when they find out my age is 22.

It is clearly not, I tell them that no I being working for the last 4 years,

has this happened to anyone?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When you are young, or look young, people just make assumptions like that. People thought I was in my early twenties and right out of college for my first 6-7 years in IT. Today everyone thinks I'm over 40 (I'm 33). I guess 12+ years in IT, plus a marriage, three kids, bills, drama, etc will do that to you :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It happened all the time, and still does on the rare occasion I'm not looking 5+ years older than I am. The irony is that it will not happen once I am fresh out of college. It's just part of traditional suburban mentality. Graduate high school, go to college, get a job, in that order. If you're young and in a professional environment, you must be a recent college grad.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Happens all the time, roll with the punches and ask for a sippy cup when you are at lunch meetings.

Then remind them to not forget there dentures.

Enjoy
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Your age (22) is the typical "just graduated college" age but yes, I get this constantly also.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I miss being mistaken for a fresh grad icon_sad.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I miss being mistaken for a fresh grad icon_sad.gif

I feel ya man!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL, are you really complaining about being mistaken for looking young? At the age of 22? Really? I would just ask them back if they got their AARP membership yet. Move on, there are much better things to worry your Young mind about.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA