Options

I finally landed an interview for a IT job but I need some help!

hamlin69hamlin69 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

After months and months of applying to jobs I finally got an interview for a PC/Network tech at an elementary school. Currently I am an accountant but have my A+ and am studying for my CCNA. I literally have no professional experience. I am scared as hell right now. Getting this job would be everything to me. When I talked to the woman on the phone she said there will be an interview for 30 mins and then 30 minutes of tasks I will have to complete. I didn't lie on the resume, I told them I have 0 professional experience but told them what I did know so when I got the call for an interview I was shocked. What do I do? I don't know if I can answer all of the questions, I am about 1/4 done the CCNA studying. The interview is on friday at 1pm....

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well what does it say in the job description? What technologies will you be working with? I would study those technologies, review interview questions for them as well, and finally....just be yourself. Even if it doesn't work out, it's your first IT interview and you will get another one. Keep working on the CCNA! That will be a nice addition to your resume.
  • Options
    I don't remember, I had the job application and lost it. I applied probably 2 months ago and just got a call now. This job would mean so much to me but because I think of it like that it makes me terrified to go to the interview!
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't be terrified just go in and be yourself, most of continue to be honest. Give them a reason to hire you based on your strong points and don't worry about the weak points. Blessings on the journey.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    Don't be terrified just go in and be yourself, most of continue to be honest. Give them a reason to hire you based on your strong points and don't worry about the weak points. Blessings on the journey.

What if they ask questions and I don't know the answers? Do I just say "I don't know"? Do I make up stuff and try to get it right?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Never lie and make stuff up. It is all too easy to ferret it out and make you look bad. Your best response will say that you don't know, but then go on to describe how you would find out, what approach you have to finding a resolution, where you would look for information, and whatever else you can think of that may help. This will give insights into your thought process which is probably what will help the most, and not worry about what specific knowledge you have on hand.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hamlin69 wrote: »
    What if they ask questions and I don't know the answers? Do I just say "I don't know"? Do I make up stuff and try to get it right?

U know that is not right, if a techie is in charge of the interview he may discard you because of that. Just be honest and tell them the truth.

Tell them you''ll research and come up with the right answer because you learn very quick.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hamlin69 wrote: »

If you don't know then simply say you do not have the answer at the present time, but in attempt to assist a client that you would google the issue to get further assistance. This would show them that you would be able to think on your feet. You won't have the answer to everything anyhow.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Definitely don't try to make anything up. Like others have said, tell them you honestly don't know the answer and give them ways you would go about finding the answer. Also, anything you don't know the answer to write it down and when you go home research it. Use it as a learning tool, not something to get you down. You have no experience so at the very least this interview will help you get a feel on how technical interviews are.

Good Luck.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Ok I found the Job Posting,

Lots of emphasis on Windows Server 8, Lunix, Cisco Technologies

I haven't worked with any of those, I am currently studying for my Server+ and CCNA though. Am I screwed?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you told them you have zero professional experience and didn't claim to know those you are not screwed. You have two evenings to study. If you want the job, do your best. Be honest in your interview (and in life). Lying would be a quick way to go from "Doesn't know his stuff but seems motivated and personable" to "Doesn't know their stuff and poor character to boot."

If this is your first interview, remember it's a learning experience, and not your only chance. :)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck stay positive!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What I usually do in technical interviews is taking a notepad with me so they see that I make notes of questions asked. I then tell them that I do not know the answer right now but I certainly will research it. I then say even that I will be making notes for further research. Then depending on the actual topic I sometimes throw in comments that I will research it so I know already the answer if an offer received, and I won't have to research the exact same thing on day #1 :D

All depends on the situation though - the interview situation that is. Some companies just fly through the questions, not giving you a chance to even consider writing it down, and some throw questions at you during a conversation where you can easily make additional comments ...

Either way - good luck. If you haven't lied on your resume and you made up knowledge you don't have, just to get an interview, then you will be fine.. Nothing to worry about - just be yourself.

Most companies don't expect you to know everything by heart. A lot of IT jobs now require multiple subjects / knowledge areas and they know fair well that hardly somene will have all boxes ticket to a level they'd want you to.

I know of a company which is looking for a very particular person with a very particular list of skills. They are looking for a VMware Certified, Citrix Certified, Cisco Certified, Microsoft Certified Architect with a degree in Business as well to be able to handle Pre-Sales / Sales techniques and you need to be able to pass psychometric tests (SHL) in several topics with at least 85-90% pass-rate in each ...

Needless to say - they are looking for a while now - for almost a year - and won't give up haha :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p