Actually Happy at Work Today

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
As you guys know, I haven't been incredibly happy at work. I'm a support tech so my day usually consists of "I can't print" or "my G drive is missing" or "the copier is jammed". In a previous post I discussed being brought into the testing phase for an app we're deploying and being asked to work on automating the process. Mind you, I was denied a promotion in part because the VP had unrealistic ideas of what my position should be. But I was able to get him to let us try Selenium and man is that software crazy. So much you can do with it! Plus it lets me brush up on my Python skills. Today (besides my normal duties) I spent hours writing scripts and then adding to the Python to make it work properly. At the end of today I finally got the Python script to open Firefox, register the user, and then fill out the application along with submitting it. Of course I've found an error at the end that will need to be addressed. But at least the day flew by!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a true spark of passion, it's why we all study so hard; it's to work towards having that every day, if possible :D
    :twisted:
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's great news. Sounds like you made a good call and it's paying off.

It's always tough. Even if you like the work overall, it's hard to really be in a place where you like what you're doing day in and day out. If I got to script or program 70% or more of every day, I would be extremely happy. Alas, most of us must put up with the stuff we dislike to do the stuff we enjoy.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Glad to hear it Grinch! Always good to see a solid member having a good day!
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    That sounds awesome, buddy! Hopefully you keep getting days even better. :)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also glad you had a good, fufilling day! Those are always great to have..sort of invigorating! Keep up the good work..OH, and get your OSCP knocked out :)
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked in helpdesk for 5 years, today im a manager and sometimes solve user common problems like yours. Congratulations on your genius script!!! :)
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks all! Definitely going to keep plugging away because if nothing else, it's a resume builder! Now onto some OSCP videos!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    So what you are really saying is... Your small heart grew three sizes that day?

Seriously all joking aside, that is awesome! Its always great to hear others' success stories, especially when they have been frustrated at work.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Funny. We just had a conversation about this in my team meeting. We are happy when things are going well enough that we have time to work on projects like the one you're working on. That's a sort of fulfillment we get in our jobs that have nothing to do with money (although money is nice too).
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%