Options

NEW CCNA Exams Announced!!

Comments

• Options
    MelHiourMelHiour Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought that Cisco would change the exam. I have one question for you. I'm preparing to pass "full" or "composite" CCNA (CCNA 640—802). I've almost finished reading books. I've started watch videos. I've completely passed to the practice on my LAB. I'm going to pass it in summer (In June or July, I think). Must I take the new CCNA? Or I will have some time until September 30th?

And... Thank you so much, Todd! Thank you from Russia!

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, guys. I've just learning.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This just give me that little bit more motivation to study and pass the ICND2. I've been so busy with work and family. Time to knuckle down and pass.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is the hard part. You fail in July, fine, you have two months to pass it. Can't pass it by Sept 30th? You have to then take the new exam.
    icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Good point. Though, I am confident that I can pass in May.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I'm pretty excited to see the new material!But I get the feeling it may get harder for complete newbs who take their first networking steps with the CCNA to grasp the expanding curriculum. The only thing on my mind in a week or so has been when such a thing is coming for the CCNP - may it be R&S or Security :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    The only thing I can see them changing is probably the IOS versions. Maybe, just maybe less Frame Relay stuff (I doubt that, though). ICND1 will stay the same since it's mostly network theory. Probably more IPv6 information - also, ICND2 covers it fairly well at the moment at the present moment. By best advice is this - if you've taken the ICND1 and are currently studying ICND2, crack on with it! If you're new to Cisco, then I'd wait if I were you to see what the new topics are going to be. Or, if you're like me and have been occupied for months, or maybe even a year (has it really been that long?) then kick yourself up your arse and get in gear. :)
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    SurfriderSurfrider Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NOOOOOO!!! Talk about a punch in the mouth. This completely kills me!

I literally just spent about $700 in a home lab kit and another ~$150 in books to self-study (from scratch) CCNA. I made the purchase about a week ago and the kit is due in the mail in the next couple of days. The books are already here.

I am GUTTED!! icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    flt0nujrflt0nujr Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just sat for the ICND2 this passed Monday and passed it, but I had been studying for like 5 months. My main goal was the Security Track.
    B.S Information Technology Telecommunications
    A.S Network Server Administration
    M.S Information Security Management (expected 2014-2015)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Surfrider wrote: »
    NOOOOOO!!! Talk about a punch in the mouth. This completely kills me!

I literally just spent about $700 in a home lab kit and another ~$150 in books to self-study (from scratch) CCNA. I made the purchase about a week ago and the kit is due in the mail in the next couple of days. The books are already here.

I am GUTTED!! icon_sad.gif

Don't worry about it. At least 90% of what you have will still be applicable to the new exam. Cisco isn't reinventing routing and switching, subnetting or the OSI model.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, ok I was in the middle of starting ICND2. Thank goodness I have some time till Sept to get it done. More incentive + more time = sigh
  • Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello Todd

So far I'm reading yours CCNA, this is great material. What comes to a new CCNA, should I use your CCNA book last 7th Edition, or you should it be another CCNA, because of new CCNA exam?
    Thanks

Sys_teck
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's funny how I can find more information about the new tests when i'm not on the corporate network then when i'm on it.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    Sort of makes sense to me. ICND 1 & 2 plus voice/wireless/security. you get the basics of ICND1 & 2 plus the specialty. All in one test. icon_study.gifBut Voice/wireless/security without the basics doesn't make sense at all. How can anyone configure troubleshoot Cisco equipment and the networks they run on if they don't know the basics. It's just not possible, even with a GUI. Hopefully, they don't mess with CCNA as a prereq for CCNP. Can you imagine CCNPs that don't have the basics?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Corza wrote: »
    Definitely seems a bit weird getting rid of the CCNA as a prereq. Those basic skills are literally scratching the surface of everything that networking has to offer. Once you have those skills other topics become easier to understand and it all just builds up on one another. Well at least thats how it is in my head!

Topics definitely bleed over. A good example is a duplex mismatch for a Cisco Voip phone. Someone who has done CCNA knows what that means and how to fix it, but what if its not in the voice track? That's just a quick example I can think of.

Maybe the other topics could get longer also due to the basic topics being covered first?

I would think that the CCENT would make a good prerequisite for everything, especially if they added an introduction to VLANs, VLAN Trunking, and ACLs.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wonder how this will affect CCNA Network Academy registrations if CCNA is no longer a requirement for the other fields. I'm worried this may inadvertently kill the CCNA Network Academy program, or at the very least lower registration and force many colleges to raise their rates.
  • Options
    p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Who spread this news I dont know ,I confirmed from the CISCO website,that this is a false rumour and nothing else.CISCO didn't announce any such thing as paper code change or syllabus change!!
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've heard that the CCNA will no longer be a pre-req for any other cert track! That's disapointing!

I don't understand this par. How can it be?
    If CCNA isn't pre-req is any other tracks then how the test takers supposed to know common and basic configs covered in CCNA?
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    ch1vas wrote: »
    So this means if I have my ICND1 I have time until September to do my ICND2?

Yes. Unless you want to go for new ICND1 & ICND2.
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    thing is if the person who is not going to take the CCNA and go straight into Voice, Security, or Wireless would in my mind have a hard time grasping the concepts behind it all unless they already have experience from the work field. I have experience with Voice and wanted to get my CCNA Voice last year but then seen that it was a pre-req to have CCNA. I was bummed about that but once I got into the CCNA I learned more then I ever would have with just a CCNA Voice title. I'm able to now understand other engineers when they come on site to help us with big projects now and able to bounce ideas off them. I could not do this with out the knowledge I got from the CCNA. So for the people who jump straight into voice, security, and wireless good luck without the experience and if you do make it through the test good luck in the field.
  • Options
    p1xels wrote: »
    Who spread this news I dont know ,I confirmed from the CISCO website,that this is a false rumour and nothing else.CISCO didn't announce any such thing as paper code change or syllabus change!!
    What rumor? It's on Cisco's website. They'll be releasing more information on the 26th.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sys_teck wrote: »
    Hello Todd

So far I'm reading yours CCNA, this is great material. What comes to a new CCNA, should I use your CCNA book last 7th Edition, or you should it be another CCNA, because of new CCNA exam?
    Thanks

Sys_teck

That depends on when you take your test. My book has 100% of information for current exams, but you'll need an update of material if you take your test after September. Don't stress! Stick to the fundementals and you'll be okay!
    Todd
  • Options
    MatablaMatabla Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ..... I hope that this change does not depreciates the value of the CCNA certification ..... just received yesterday my certificate ... so am glad not to deal with all of this ... :)

Dear Tood wonderful seeing you here , may the coming months bring more of yours top notch courses :)
  • Options
    d6bmg wrote: »
    I don't understand this par. How can it be?
    If CCNA isn't pre-req is any other tracks then how the test takers supposed to know common and basic configs covered in CCNA?

You do know you can learn something without getting certified right?
  • Options
    Yes, but CISCO certification pre-reqs are there to help everyone. Anyone who know the basics for any exam, should easily pass the pre-reqs, and anybody who don't know the basics for any exam can't pass the pre-req(s). SO, I wonder what CISCO have in their mind..
  • Options
    There are no pre-reqs for the CCIE. Do you think they don't want people to know the basics for that?
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    There are no pre-reqs for the CCIE. Do you think they don't want people to know the basics for that?

good point
  • Options

icon_neutral.gif You got me with your logic. :)
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    p1xels wrote: »
    Cisco did...

http://networkjutsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Screen-Shot-2013-03-19-at-1.47.24-PM.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YKIdfENJtI

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd1_v2

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd2_v2
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    binaryhatbinaryhat Member Posts: 129
    Weird news...Glad I am on Lammle's mailing list.

So Cisco is changing/updating ICND2 topics/exam number post September 30th, 2013?

ICND1 - 640-822
    ICND2 - 200-101

Real consistancy!
    Currently working on:
    ICND1 - TBD
    Book: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
    Equipment: Packet Tracer, GNS3
    Supplement Material: Youtube, Google, Boson ExamSim-Max, CBTNuggets
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I just noticed the info about the new exam changes has disappeared from Cisco's ICND1 and ICND2 Web pages.

This thread probably spooked 'em! icon_eek.gificon_thumright.gif