Options

NEW CCNA Exams Announced!!

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I see plenty about the ICND2 change but I can't find any information on CCNA not being a pre-req for other CCNA topics like Security or Wireless...does anyone have a relevant link? I did not see one in this thread...
  • Options
    todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I just noticed the info about the new exam changes has disappeared from Cisco's ICND1 and ICND2 Web pages.

This thread probably spooked 'em! icon_eek.gificon_thumright.gif

When I saw that post I thought that they made a mistake and might take it down until March 26, and that is what they did! I was right! It's great we now know when the test is changing and when the current on is expiring.
    Can't wait till Tuesday where they announce everything!
    Todd
  • Options
    todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    I see plenty about the ICND2 change but I can't find any information on CCNA not being a pre-req for other CCNA topics like Security or Wireless...does anyone have a relevant link? I did not see one in this thread...

We'll hear about this, if it is true, on Tuesday. It was just something I heard and it made sense since CCNA isn't a pre-req to Service provide and Data Center already. We'll see though!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Ah I got it, that is what the upcoming news may be about--I will wait until then. Thanks Todd!
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    binaryhat wrote: »
    Weird news...Glad I am on Lammle's mailing list.

So Cisco is changing/updating ICND2 topics/exam number post September 30th, 2013?

ICND1 - 640-822
    ICND2 - 200-101

Real consistancy!
    The new ICND1 is not 640-822 that's the old one. The new number for ICND1 wasn't leaked, they will announce it March 26.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Donnelly82Donnelly82 Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently studying for the CCNA composite. So if i am reading all this correct i can still sit the old exam before September with no worries??? I am aiming to sit the exam in May. Got a nice lab going with 3x 2610xm routers, 2x 2950 switches and a 3550 switch.
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Yes you will have until September.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And CISCO is yet to mention anything about new exams in their official exam page.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    kambalpogikambalpogi Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oh men!
    I've been studying 640-802 for last two months and I'm just waiting for my voucher and scheduled my CCNA exam.
    Does the 640-802 will also change ? Im planning to take my exam this April do I need to review from the scratch again because of the new topic?
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kambalpogi wrote: »
    oh men!
    I've been studying 640-802 for last two months and I'm just waiting for my voucher and scheduled my CCNA exam.
    Does the 640-802 will also change ? Im planning to take my exam this April do I need to review from the scratch again because of the new topic?

You're fine...go take and pass your CCNA...changes to anything probably won't happen until later this year if not next year
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    This is bad news for me. Just passed my Net+ and was looking forward to taking around 12 months to get my CCNA. Already have all my ICND1 books and was hoping to pass that in the next 3 months and then move onto the ICND2 hoping to take my time. I really hope I can take the new ICND2 with the old ICND1.
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    This is bad news for me. Just passed my Net+ and was looking forward to taking around 12 months to get my CCNA. Already have all my ICND1 books and was hoping to pass that in the next 3 months and then move onto the ICND2 hoping to take my time. I really hope I can take the new ICND2 with the old ICND1.

You still have more than 7 months to prepare for both the exams..
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    dazl1212 wrote: »

I am almost certain you can take the new ICND2 and the old one will count towards the CCNA. Cisco have allowed this up until now and I doubt they will suddenly change it.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    It took me 3 months to prepare for my Net+ so I think 7 months would be cutting it a little fine for the CCNA to be honest.
    Master of Puppets, that is a relief to hear and I see no reason why that wouldn't be the case if they have always done it.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Usually Cisco will let you mix and match old and new exams. So if you get ICND1 done by September it will most likely still count towards the new ICND2 exam. By then everything will be officially announced by Cisco and you can plan accordingly.

I hope this is the case as I'm just partially through the ICND1 material!
  • Options
    havenladhavenlad Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think what quite a few people are concerned about and I believe is more concerning than the "do we still take the CCNA if we want to head to wireless and voice" is those of us who are close to completing the ICND1 and then are expecting to be rushed into taking the ICND2 before the end of September. Remember this is a leak and if there's one thing true about leaks, it's that they aren't always 100% accurate or more likely, Todd is spot on but doesn't have the full story and people are pnicking on the back of it. Note Todd admits he himself isn't sure and note the announcement isn't official yet.

What I fully expect to happen is Cisco will honour the ICND1 for 6 months. Where would that leave those who planned on taking the ICND1 in August? I believe they will offer the current ICND2 for those who have passed ICND1 in the 6 months leading up to September, on the proviso that they pass it before March 2014. This is a fair offer and gives people notice. if they don't. it will be a major kick to their customers. It would lead to a massive trust issue and they aren't that daft.

As for the wireless/voice certs. If you apply for a wireless/voice job and they throw a basic OSI or IP4 subnetting question in and you have never touched these subjects, more the fool you. You should still do the CCNA as it is the basic building block for any networking job.
  • Options
    RiKi1861RiKi1861 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Will you still take the CCNA if you don't have to and just go for Wireless, Voice, Security?

Yes, but I am relatively new so I need to, but I suspect a lot of people with experience would not follow the "natural progression" but go straight to the exam relative to their circumstances.
  • Options
    neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With no networking skills but good IT skills, is it possible to get CCNA before september? I have started already on the 2 exam router 3 weeks ago, going at it like crazy. Do you think its worth waiting for the new one is getting the new stuff in your head going to be better or is it better to get it done now?
    Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Neo it is possible. And even if you don't accomplish it by September it's not like you have to study for a completely different exam. Cisco isn't re-inventing the wheel, they are just fine tuning some out dated material.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    fredlwalfredlwal Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i just bought the icnd 2 kindle edition today, but I think I will still read up on it.
  • Options
    havenlad wrote: »
    What I fully expect to happen is Cisco will honour the ICND1 for 6 months. Where would that leave those who planned on taking the ICND1 in August? I believe they will offer the current ICND2 for those who have passed ICND1 in the 6 months leading up to September, on the proviso that they pass it before March 2014. This is a fair offer and gives people notice. if they don't. it will be a major kick to their customers. It would lead to a massive trust issue and they aren't that daft.
    I doubt that will happen. They are trying to keep their certifications current. They are giving you a window to pass whatever exam you are in the middle of studying for. If you pass the ICND1 in September that means you haven't really started studying for the ICND2. I see no reason why anyone would want to study old technology over the new. Unless of course you actually use frame-relay where you work...
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    6 months is not enough of a "window" to study & pass 2 exams, IMO. Hopefully they will just have a later date of conclusion than Sept. or at least allow us to mix & match the 2 exams.
  • Options
    I'm hoping they let you mix and match the two exams. I cant see the ICND1 changing that much so it would make sense for them to let you mix and match. I'll probably need 6 months for the ICND2 alone...
  • Options
    The only way they wouldn't let you mix and match is if they called the new test something other than ICND1 and ICND2. According to everything I've seen they are still calling them ICND1 and ICND2.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Seems logical, I can get on with ICND1 now icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Yes, just going to continue studies & hope for the best. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    pamccabe wrote: »
    Todd Lammle! Wow, incredible seeing you on this forum.

Who's Todd Lammle? Never heard of him icon_lol.gif

Anyways, I think there won't be any difference not having CCNA for a prereq anymore. This will just allow people who have been working in the industry a while the opportunity to start working on higher level certs without having to worry about starting from the bottom (cert wise). It isn't like people are going to be jumping straight into their CCNP having never worked in or studied networking. There will still be a logical progression for people just starting out, just more flexibility in the higher levels IMO.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will be very pissed if they announce changes to the CCNP R&S. They should just allow us self study folks to be able to continue to use end of life hardware without any funny IOS upgrades making our equipment at home useless.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What would be the point of having people certified on technology that is old and outdated? Yeah it sucks if your lab isn't useful anymore, but these are careeer certifications. They should be validating knowledge that is used in the field.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't have a problem with them announcing out of the blue their new IOS or Certifications are only useful for people who have IGS2 routers? How many people do you know who can afford these for a home lab or even from their employer? :)
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]