NEW CCNA Exams Announced!!

Comments

• krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    What percentage of the material do you think will be completely unattainable if you dont have access to the new IOS? <1% ?
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    JustFred wrote: »
    You don't have a problem with them announcing out of the blue their new IOS or Certifications are only useful for people who have IGS2 routers? How many people do you know who can afford these for a home lab or even from their employer? :)

No I don't have a problem with it. I'd have a problem if their certifications weren't updated to stay with their current technology.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Point taken, but what has this got to do with keeping the technology current? Lots of comapnies still use old hardware some which are still supported by Cisco.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Most of the old lab hardware people use are definitely EOL/EOS . You can't even buy the older stuff from Cisco or have it supported anymore. Last day of support for 2600XM routers was a year ago.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • fredlwalfredlwal Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just hope they update packet tracer with the new IOS 15 since that is a cheaper alternative.
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We have concerns about the knowledge level of someone skipping ccna and going to straight to security or phone.

I would hope Cisco Corp have spoken with their security and phone engineers and made sure the cert is a solid foundation for what they will be experiencing in the workforce. Granted it wont cover everything like all certs, but its enough to get you started.

I've been working towards ccna and then move into security, and have concerns after reading this thread. I don't just want a job, I want to be good at it. It maybe a fools hope, but I'm hoping cisco knows the industry and its engineers needs to be successful.

Change is part of our business, our objective has changed, so we adapt.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like you can mix and match the old CCENT/CCNA certs with the new ones.

Source: CCNA
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DB Cooper wrote: »
    We have concerns about the knowledge level of someone skipping ccna and going to straight to security or phone.
    I'm still not 100% sure what they are changing or how they are changing it, but I think they are making CCENT a pre-requirement for all associate level certs. I could be wrong though.

Also good find webgeek, that link has the exam topics
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/list/icnd1b.html#~Topics
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/list/icnd2b.html#~Topics
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/list/ccna_composite2.html#~Topics
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »
    I'm still not 100% sure what they are changing or how they are changing it, but I think they are making CCENT a pre-requirement for all associate level certs. I could be wrong though.

Not for all but interesting knowing someone who has the CCENT can take the CCNA Security/SPO/Voice/Wireless....hhhmmm I would still go the same route CCENT --> CCNA R&S --> CCNA Security/SPO/Voice/Wireless
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fredlwal wrote: »
    I just hope they update packet tracer with the new IOS 15 since that is a cheaper alternative.
    Packet Tracer 6 includes the 29XX and 19XX ISR2 routers with IOS 15. My only gripe with the beta is they're still missing CCNA curriculum commands and they haven't updated the code/software simulation of the other devices like the 3560/2950/2960 and other devices to current Cisco devices like 3750X, 3850, 2960S, 3560X, etc. but obviously, there isn't money made on the software, so it's all good.

And if you're looking at the professional or expert certs, you'll either have to build a lab, rack rental or Google cough, cough the stuff Cisco uses.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »

Finally working! lol didn't want to post a dead link before verifying...Thanks Priston
  • havenladhavenlad Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So my problem is future CCNAs who pass over the next few months can do so by taking the ICND1 very soon and taking the new ICND2 next year and totally miss out on ACLs and IPv6. Either I haven't read that right or they need to change something
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    webgeek wrote: »
    Looks like you can mix and match the old CCENT/CCNA certs with the new ones.

Source: CCNA
    icon_cheers.gif
  • Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Iceman25k wrote: »

Thanks for the official link, mate.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks almost as if they are moving 90% of what is now ICND1 + ICND2 into ICND1 and making ICND2 Troubleshooting plus alot of new stuff (Netflow, SNMP, Syslog, FHRP). A new CCENT will be almost the equivalent of a current CCNA, only missing EIGRP and WANs (PPP, Frame Relay).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BTW, it appears they are now selling [or more accurately leasing since its time limited] IOU (IOS on Unix). They have one for the new ICND1, but I don't see one for the new ICND2 or Composite CCNA yet.

https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/market/prod/productView.se.work;jsessionid=7030adbe29f1$EC$3FN$?/nxt/rcrs/proieidentity/=20974&/nxt/rcrs/aisidentity/=2559#.UVMKCxyG28A
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    theodoxa wrote: »
    It looks almost as if they are moving 90% of what is now ICND1 + ICND2 into ICND1 and making ICND2 Troubleshooting plus alot of new stuff (Netflow, SNMP, Syslog, FHRP). A new CCENT will be almost the equivalent of a current CCNA, only missing EIGRP and WANs (PPP, Frame Relay).

And CCNA can't just be called entry level exam for sure..
  • xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Question. I get my CCNA before september 30th using the old exam format.

If I want to take the CCNA Voice / Security is that a new format? I can just study and sit for those exams no issue after?
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was about to throw a fit for a moment when I saw the changes in the email. I've already spent at least $170 on materials. I don't intend to have to buy all new books and labs for a new exam. Thankfully I see the change isn't until September 26 which gives me more than enough time. That's a helpful deadline really.
  • dasmoothridedasmoothride Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, If I take ICND1 and I passed it before October and decided I wanted to take ICND2 after the cutoff date, will I be able to do that? Or I would have to retake the newer version of ICND1 before I could take the newer ICND2 exam.
  • Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So, If I take ICND1 and I passed it before October and decided I wanted to take ICND2 after the cutoff date, will I be able to do that? Or I would have to retake the newer version of ICND1 before I could take the newer ICND2 exam.

Associate-Level Certifications Exam Logic Tool - Cisco Systems That should answer your questions.
    11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.
  • ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So, if I take the old ICND1 then CCNA:Sec would there be any CCNA level knowledge requirement to successfully pass it. I think Cisco would not allow the exam to have that level of prerequisite if you need it to pass the security exam.
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    So, if I take the old ICND1 then CCNA:Sec would there be any CCNA level knowledge requirement to successfully pass it. I think Cisco would not allow the exam to have that level of prerequisite if you need it to pass the security exam.

i took and passed the ccna:sec last week. and i guess only thing you might miss in the current ICND1 is ACLs basics and IPv6. but since access lists are a foundation of of the sec cert you will have to master them anyway before getting near this exam.

but i would strongly suggest to be on a ccna level when attending the security track at the moment, because when i think back how much i knew when i got my ccent two years ago and now its a HUGE difference.

anyhow i watched at the new ICND1 topics yesterday and it looks like its gotten a lot harder for new people to get in BUT from a perspective of someone who done the old track not so long ago i have to say that you will have to learn about all this stuff sooner or later anyways if you wanna be in the cisco world...
    And then, I started a blog ...

Yes, all you need to do is to take the ICND2 before the sut-off date and you would be just fine. ;)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    CBT Nuggets now has a MicroNugget explaining the new ICND1, ICND2, and CCNA exams: MicroNugget: What's New in the CCNA 2013? - YouTube
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Just when Cisco had ensured their CCNA wasn't some "entry level" certification they go and make these changes. *sigh*

The CCNA has some seriously valuable underlying information for any network engineer to understand, it's not an easy walk in the park certification like it was thought of pre 2007

I can see it now, ask someone if they can do some R&S and they respond "Uh, no i'm in Security".."I'm in Voice" because they no longer really have to learn it.

Sure, any solid engineer will know it regardless but we will see even more of an influx of these types that IT is already overflowing with. Ugh!

Keep on keeping on, it doesn't affect my certification path. Good luck to everyone whichever way you go.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    @RouteMyPacket - I haven't looked into all of the changes but I think I read that you now only need to do ICND1 to do CCNA security, voice or whatever.

But ICND1 has become MUCH harder. It basically covers all of the topics which were in ICND2..

I really want to go and sit ICND1 and ICND2 again, the new ones to see what has changed for myself. ICND2 sounds very easy now compared to ICND1.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry if someone already posted this.

Jeremy Ciora does a live chat and discusses the new exams.

New CCNA exams, chat with Jeremy Cioara - YouTube